Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

exhaust manifold install question - 96 Mountain Aire

Hi Everyone, I have a 1996 Mountain Aire 3760 gasser built on the Ford F53 chassis with a 460 engine pulling everything around.

I'm pretty sure I have a exhaust manifold leak judging from the exhaust smell I get in the cab while driving down the road. Also, the motor sounds a bit like a lawnmower instead of an 8 cylinder purr with factory exhaust.

I know a lot of people have replaced 460 exhaust manifolds themselves and assuming the bolts come out intact it appears to be pretty easy... on the passenger side.

The driver side is another story as the brake master cylinder is right there, in the way, if accessing from the wheel well. I don't know if the master cylinder placement is default for the V8 F53 chassis or if Newmar put it in that location but does it have to be removed before pulling the drivers side manifold?

Lastly, I would never consider working under the RV while it's on it's levelling jacks. But is it possible to use them to lift the RV enough to place jack stands?

Thanks in advice for any information you can provide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #2

I put Banks headers on my '97 F53 and don't recall anything prohibiting access to all the bolts and I didn't have access to a full mechanic's toolset. Maybe someone else will chime in on that. I raised one side of the RV at a time with its jacks and used a combination of jack stands and 6x6" wood blocks before crawling under it. I removed each front wheel to gain better access from the sides.

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I put Banks headers on my '97 F53 and don't recall anything prohibiting access to all the bolts and I didn't have access to a full mechanic's toolset. Maybe someone else will chime in on that. I raised one side of the RV at a time with its jacks and used a combination of jack stands and 6x6" wood blocks before crawling under it. I removed each front wheel to gain better access from the sides.
Thanks raplhie, I'm leaning over the tire still so perhaps after I take it off I can get a better look behind the master cylinder. Maybe there is more room back there than it appears.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Have an impact wrench and pneumatic ratchet available.

Rusty stuck bolts break with brute force but impact with low air can get them out via gentle taps.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #5

I put Banks headers on my 93 Holiday Rambler. The location of the master cylinder is standard on the F53 w/ 460 engine. I removed the stock heat shield protecting the master cylinder and that gave me access without completely removing the master cylinder itself. I also used the jacks to lift the MH and used landscape timbers (about 10 x 10) to support each side. I also did not remove the wheels just turned them as needed to create room.

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Have an impact wrench and pneumatic ratchet available.

Rusty stuck bolts break with brute force but impact with low air can get them out via gentle taps.
Luckily, I have air tools and compressor already. I can't imagine trying to get those rusty bolts out without them!

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcan View Post
I put Banks headers on my 93 Holiday Rambler. The location of the master cylinder is standard on the F53 w/ 460 engine. I removed the stock heat shield protecting the master cylinder and that gave me access without completely removing the master cylinder itself. I also used the jacks to lift the MH and used landscape timbers (about 10 x 10) to support each side. I also did not remove the wheels just turned them as needed to create room.

Mike
Thanks Mike, that is encouraging news! I guess there is more room behind there than it seems from the outside.

Tags
install