Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine is located passenger side right undersink. Or if your looking at the coach just left of the front door. As I said there is a huge storage door right behind the front wheel and in front of the main door. All I would need is about 3 to 4 ft of hose for it to work. I was thinking along the lines of a 25 to 30 gal long tank and mounting in to the floor. Through the frame. Why do people worry about propane cost? I mean really have you filled your coach"s up lately? I could see if you were filling propane as much as fuel. My friends always say do you know how much gas that's going to use? I say I didn"t buy it to get 30mpg"s. Its for fun.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
1: For give me here if I'm wrong but my gas grill uses a 25 Lb gas tank and it doesn't weigh near 200 Lbs filled. I can pick it up with one hand. Maybe 50 Lbs.

2: TT's use portable tanks all the time and they are mounted on the tounge so what "special" DOT certified ASME tank are you talking about?

3: The tank in a class a is mounted on the side of the stove so not all tanks are mounted on the passenger side.

#1; your 25 POUND tank holds ~5 gallons of propane. A 30 GALLON tank holds ~ 140 POUNDS of propane. You're confusing pounds with gallons.

#2; the discussion was about the permanent, horizontal tanks installed in MHs, not the portables you have on your trailer tongue. The permanent tanks do not require the periodic examination/testing that portables must have by law because the manufacturing and installation requirements for permanent tanks (those "special" DOT certified ASME tanks ) are much higher than for portables.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #17

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of gallons.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
vman, to legally and safely install a new permanent propane tank will COST A LOT OF MONEY, no matter how much extra storage space you have.

Posters have tried to explain that you do not need to fear running out of propane just because you'll be camping for a few weeks.

How much carrying capacity on your coach? Do you even know how to determine your carrying capacity? Trust me, its not about filling it up until there aren't any more space!

If you just load up an older coach with any old thing, you are increasing the handling difficulties, increasing the stress on your tires and increasing the chances for an accident.

Before you make the decision to start carrying around an extra 200# of propane you don't need, find out your GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating; it should be on a specifications plate in your coach somewhere) load up your coach with the fuel, propane, water, waste PEOPLE and luggage you will be traveling with and GO GET WEIGHED.

Go to a truck scale where you can have all 4 corner weighed; at a minimum you need to know the load on front vs rear axles. You need to have your load balanced and this is the only way you can figure it out.

The total weight needs to be LESS than the GVWR. Running overloaded is just flat dangerous, particularly with an older coach.

When you've done that, you can make a decision about whether you want to give up 200# of your carrying capacity for enough propane to last you a year, or whether you'd rather carry other stuff and only fill up on propane every 3 or 4 months.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Weight of coach is 12000pds gvw 14250pds. People luggage and all gross weight.