Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #15
It's not the graphics.

alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #16
for prep i use a heat gun to take off graffics and any vinal stickers , a good washing with cheap non scented household ammonia is great for wax and grease removal, just don't breath it. then to be safe use a citrus based cleaner after the ammonia wash. those electric paint sprayers they advertise on tele vision work great for those big jobs, i cant remember the name but they sell them on e'bay. almost exact same thing, the spray pump is seperate from spray wand which makes it much lighter than the old wag. type sprayer which was heavier to hold cause you had to hold the paint container while you were spraying. tractor supply has good paint, but spend a couple extra bucks and get the paint hardener also. makes a much better finish, learned it from guys at tractor show, who restore tractors, good painting

shooter500guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #17
I've sprayed 3 trailers now with the rustoleum oil based paint and I've had great results. The only thing with this paint is it's super messy so anything that you do not want paint on you better cover it. Also clean up will take longer than the actually spray time I found out the hard way the first time I used it and ended up using about 3 gallons of gas because I ran out of mineral spirits. To spray it I used my airless house sprayer and the final product is pretty amazing but like I said the clean up is ridiculous when you have a 25' hose that it travels through. So the next thing I will be buying to finish my last trailer is this.

The reviews on it are really good and it's only $120 but what I like about it is cleanup should take about 10-15 minutes. Also if you do use this paint make sure to get lots of disposable gloves because once it's on your skin the only way to get it off is by washing your hands in gas lol!
Here's the very first trailer I did with this method my 1986 coachmen coventry.

Next trailer I did was a 16' horse trailer I had bought and completely redone from top to bottom. And is now my run around show cattle trailer. In this picture this paint is now over a year old and you can still see your reflection in it. (Just a little dirty)

And this trailer is currently in the remodeling process and is going to be resprayed with that wagner sprayer (not happy with the roller method I used on this side). I will also add this trailer to my current fw build thread because it's getting a lq added to the front. ( just a little interesting fact, this trailer used to be painted silver)

And the reflection in the paint on the back of this trailer.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask!
1986 on the title but technically brand new Coachmen Adrenaline Rush
Being pulled around with a custom freighliner m2
smcox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #18
Wow! Thanks for the photos. Looks very nice and I like that you used bolder colors that standard. I'll look into that sprayer when the time comes although I'm a bit wary about spraying outdoors. Last time I tried that the slightest amount of wind made almost impossible.

shooter500guns: I used to do furniture restoration.The best thing to clean wax and grease is Naphtha (from a paint store) or Mineral Spirits (very similar is different drying time). Both are solvents for grease and wax and don't leave a residue afterwards, nor is their the fumes from ammonia. I appreciate your suggestions, just woould make that one change.

alvo is offline   Reply With Quote