Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #1

Eyes in the back of my head!!

How frustrating is it attempting to hitch onto my Spartan! Has anyone ever purchased a Couple Mate trailer hitch guide. Bass Pro sells one for around $50, and I guess my question is, does it work or is there a better option, rear camera, etc. Give some feedback since I don't have "eyes in the back of my head".

Thanks again.
made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #2

Haven't tried one of those. What I have done for the last 10 years at work is. Find a point at center of trailer. Place my head at center of truck while backing. Then line up center of truck tailgate with center point on trailer. Back up to about a foot from hitch. Stop get out and verify I'm lined up. Adjust as needed then back up another 6 inches. Verify adjustments are working. Then back up last 6 inches. Also when availible a second set of eyes to direct at hitch speeds this up . I have hooked to and unhooked from as many as 5 trailers a day at work.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
How frustrating is it attempting to hitch onto my Spartan! .....................I guess my question is, does it work or is there a better option, rear camera, etc.
If you were to install a rear view camera and display then you would not only be able to hitch up easier but the camera would be provide just plain ole backing up help too.
But, you can use Corsair's method for less money.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Whatever you do, don't buy the magnetic flourescent sticks that go on the ball & the hitch. Big waste of money. Used 'em, maybe, twice 8 years ago. Now they sit in a box in my basement.

L-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVSellItems 002.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	7108  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Go to harbor freight and buy their inexpensive hitching guide. It has two magnetic bases that have telescoping poles on them to the top of which is affixed bright yellow tennis balls.

Stick one on top of the tongue's mouth and one right behind the ball on the stinger back up till the balls are lined up and stop when they're touching (May take a little practice with placement to get it perfect every time, but far easier than guessing distances).

Works like a charm.

Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit - $14.99
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

Pep Boys and other auto parts stores are selling a back up camera system for under $100. I bought one from Auto Zone and installed it on my motorhome.
The camera is built in to a license plate bracket which did not work for me so I mounted it higher and it is fine. The camera needs power at the rear of the vehicle, back-up lights, etc can provide this. The monitor plugs into a cig. lighter and has a suction cup mount. Wireless from camera to monitor.
There are 2 sizes of monitors, neither are very big but do work.
I tow my wife's Tracker sometimes and it is nice to be able to check on it when driving. I have the camera and monitor powered off a toggle switch.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
P165 Wired Reversing IR Camera w/ 7 LCD Car Monitor [P165 ecbuys] - US$91.99

I'm looking at this one...seems like a great deal
JFGOBUCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #8

Hummmmm fellows and whats the wife doing all the time youre trying to hook up put her to work a few hand signs and arway you go.
oldandred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #9

A neighbor had a good system on his boat trailer. On a post immedately behind and in line with the trailer hitch, he installed a large truck-type outside rear-view mirror, angled at 45 degrees. It was at a height that showed the hitch on the trailer.

It gave him enough field of view that he could watch in the truck mirror as he approached and line up exactly. I think he had some cross-hairs painted on the mirror to help.

Total cost was maybe 20% that of a back-up video, not to mention nothing needed in the truck.

He could get the truck ball within about a quarter inch of the trailer hitch, single-handed.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

Walmart sells a wireless camera/monitor kit for 50 bucks. Would be fairly easy to set up for that purpose. Also works at night
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy the magnetic flourescent sticks that go on the ball & the hitch. Big waste of money. Used 'em, maybe, twice 8 years ago. Now they sit in a box in my basement.

L-
Lori,

I used those all the time when hooking up to my boat.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote