Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #1

Fading pin strips

I have a 1988 Minnie Winne, the pin strips are fading, I would like to repaint them, I am looking for any suggestions on how to do it. can I just rough up the area and repaint?, can I paint the strips with a brush..auto paint recommendations?

Thx
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #2

I wouldn't paint over them. I would remove them and buff out your gelcoat. You can then install or paint new ones. You could even go with different graphics.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #3

Re-stripe?

Agree with other reply. The pinstripes are usually vinyl tape. Unless, your rig had after market paint job. You can remove the vinyl with a heat gun (not a hair drier). Dewalt makes a relatively in-expensive one. You start at one end of the stripe with the gun, carefully heating it up and lifting it off with a putty knife. The trick is to proceed slowly and steadily. There will be glue residual that will have to removed with a solvent. Make sure the solvent doesn't harm your underlying paint (or gel coat).

With the stripe removed you'll see a shadow where it used to be. You can use the shadow to guide your application of a new stripe. Vinyl tape striping is sold on rolls with adhesive already applied. The tape will also have a protective clear tape on top of it. Be sure to remove the clear tape, because it will crack and check pretty quick in the sun.

Another solution that is a whole lot easier is to try a ZEP Wet Look Floor Sealer treatment. Others have posted that the ZEP revitalizes their vinyl strips. ZEP is sold by the gallon at Home Depot in the cleaning products department. Search the forum for more details.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Wouldn't it depend on whether the pin stripes were actual DECALs or tape, versus paint? My Bounder has the wide painted stripes, and also TAPED pin stripes. I was able to scrape a lot of the old TAPE off and re-do with 3M reflective, but I'm pondering the best way to rejuvenate the PAINTED bands.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
Wouldn't it depend on whether the pin stripes were actual DECALs or tape, versus paint? My Bounder has the wide painted stripes, and also TAPED pin stripes. I was able to scrape a lot of the old TAPE off and re-do with 3M reflective, but I'm pondering the best way to rejuvenate the PAINTED bands.
Lightly sand the painted stripes, mask them off, and spray them with clear coat. The only problem you could run into is not knowing what type of paint they used for the stripes (enamel, or urethane). The clear coat could have a problem with it. You could always try in a small area to see.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Lightly sand the painted stripes, mask them off, and spray them with clear coat. The only problem you could run into is not knowing what type of paint they used for the stripes (enamel, or urethane). The clear coat could have a problem with it. You could always try in a small area to see.
Excellent suggestion - I will try and report back. Thanks much.