Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Fan clutch

I have a 1988 E350 Ford Holiday Rambler Class C with a fuel injected 460 motor. I was driving on the interstate and it all of a sudden started sounding like an airplane engine roaring. It seems the fan clutch is locked in and stays that way. There is an autozone and oreilly auto parts close to me. What part number fan clutch do I need? All i see on their site is for an E350 one ton van does an rv take a different one? I'm sort of stuck where i am and no Ford dealer close.
Thanks
Zoom45

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

The one you found is most likely the right one.

I have an E450 and buy parts for that.

You could try looking to see if a E350 cutaway is listed. That's the actual discription of it.

One other shot is to put the VIN # in. I know NAPA uses that for parts.

One other thing, the year of your E350 may be older then the Motor Home year, check that.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I picked one up from Oreilly Auto that says it's a severe duty. It looks a little smaller than mine but the mounting is the same. The rv park I stopped at says no repairs but I don,t have a choice. It's only 4 bolts so shouldn't take very long to change.
Zoom45
Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

Usually they quit such that the fan doesn't spin up which causes overheating. If it is locked up it shouldn't hurt to drive it like that. Just a little noisy and will cut your fuel mileage slightly.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #5

If seen a few that locked up due to internal bearing failure.

When it did fail, it locked up slightly off center. That can create a vibration to the water pump bearings.

A short trip should be fine but I wouldn't run it locked up for very long.

If the campground won't let you fix it, go to an auto parts parking lot and do it there.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #6

Got it changed in about 30 minutes and it did great all the way home today (200 mile trip).
Zoom45

Tags
fan