Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Filling Potable Water Tank

New to me 1986 Pace Arrow. Any suggestions on filling potable water tank faster, when I put water hose in the fill spout I can barely turn it on or the pressure builds up in the tank and water shoots back out fill neck. Have looked but not found any valve to open to let air out, takes a very long time to fill tank. Any suggestions appreciated.
kykingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I use one of these:

Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve - Walmart.com

...and can fill tank at full speed. Check that the hose from the fill port to the tank isn't kinked or otherwise restricted.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #3

I had to make something similar but with a hose long enough to go all the way down into the tank. Use to take forever to fill now just minutes .
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Never knew they made such a thing. Excellent idea!
kykingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
There should be a smaller tube that connects from the tank to a small hole near the gravity fill hole. This is to vent the tank and equalize pressure. it's possible this small hole has been clogged up. Mine was full of mud and I broke it up as best I could from the outside and eventually one day it cleared up and filling the tank got a lot easier. Depending on where the tank and access panels are located it might be a fairly simple project to get that vent tube cleared out.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There is a flap inside to keep the water in the tank when you go around a corner! When you push the hose in, you have to get it past that flap! And if you are using a hose with a end on it, it wont go past the flap! So take a old hose and cut the male end off it, and it will work just fine, or buy the adapter from Walmart! And as wschaub said, make sure the vent hole and hose is clear too! A shot of compressed air should clear it out! Rail!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:12 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
There is a flap inside to keep the water in the tank when you go around a corner! When you push the hose in, you have to get it past that flap! And if you are using a hose with a end on it, it wont go past the flap! So take a old hose and cut the male end off it, and it will work just fine, or buy the adapter from Walmart! And as wschaub said, make sure the vent hole and hose is clear too! A shot of compressed air should clear it out! Rail!
In my 55+ years of RV'ing I've never seen nor found such a "flap".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In my 55+ years of RV'ing I've never seen nor found such a "flap".
Well Mr_D, there is most certainly a ( Flap ) in the potable water fill line, and that is what this Camco fill valve gets you past, so you can fill the tank faster! Look at the second pic for the potable water fill location! This was quoted from that link,
Camco RV Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve helps fill your water tank in a fraction of the usual time and eliminate "bubble-back." Large 5/8-inch fill tube allows you to fill your camper, trailer or motorhome water tank at or near full pressure while minimizing line backflow. Quarter-turn pressure-sealed valve allows you to selectively control water flow.

Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve:
  • Helps fill your water tank in a fraction of the usual time and eliminate "bubble-back"
  • Large 5/8" fill tube allows you to fill your camper, trailer or motorhome water tank at or near full pressure while minimizing line backflow
  • Quarter-turn pressure-sealed valve allows you to selectively control water flow
I guess you are never to old to learn something? Rail!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm...I, too, have never seen any such flap in the 30+ years I've been RVing. And the link provided for the short filler hose makes absolutely no mention of a flap either. Nor do I see a pic in the link that shows a flap. Nor did I find any other link for that filler hose that shows a flap.

What the filler hose DOES do is allow you to insert the hose into your fill neck without blocking the fill neck (male end of the hose is larger than just the hose itself) which allows better venting of the tank during filling (in addition to the separate vent line). It also allows you to walk away during filling, and gives you an easy on/off valve.

I've always just made my own with a short section of stiff garden hose and a single female hose fitting.

Not saying they don't exist, but I'd sure like to see an actual pic of a flap in an RV fill line.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I also have never seen or detected a flap. (!) If you're cornering fast enough to slosh water up the fill line and out through the fill spout, you should slow down. I use the Camco spout to stop bubbles from blocking the fill and also the shut off/throttling valve makes life easier than having to run to the spigot to shut off water or throttle the flow. Yes, you could make your own by cutting off an old hose and inserting a hose shut off, pick your method and shut off valve price:

Ray Padula Plastic Garden Hose Shut-Off Adapter-RP-SIPP - The Home Depot

Orbit 3/4 in. Threaded Brass Shut-Off Coupling-27933 - The Home Depot

For the convenience and price, I picked one up at Walmart

Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve - Walmart.com

I keep a number of hose related 'tools' handy in a small bin. Spare hose washers, a 'water bandit' http://www.amazon.com/Camco-22484-Wa...ds=water+thief, 'Y' connector with shut offs, etc. Very handy in various situations.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I am sorry that you guys have never seen a "flap" or "duck bill" or what ever it is called? Have you ever went out and looked? The next time you push that hose in slowly, take the time to feel when you do, and you will feel the hose go past it? I can tell you for certain that on my first MH, it had a flap or duck bill to prevent the water from flowing back out of the tank when under way! They may have stopped using them as that was on a 1974 Shasta class A, and the water tank was just a little below the fill valve. It may have been the only one MH that they ever put them on, but I think not! I too, am now curious, as if they do use them or not now days? Inquiring minds want to know? Rail!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #12

I replaced both the water fill ports last year on this 76. The originals did not have nor do the new ones have any sort of flap. I had both tanks out and all the hoses too. There was nothing other than the vent lines. These are a style that pulls out of the wall about 2 inches and you stick the hose in. The Kit pu camper that we had before this was the same sort of set up also.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #13

On my 85 pace arrow the fill hose had been kinked where the filler neck hit the wall
Juni88126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #14

My tank fills up when I flush the toilet no problem. oops,just kidding.I just got my water system finished today,all new plumbing and a new water pump. I also installed all new sink plumbing and now need a portable grey water tank. I don't need a black water tank since we have a new porta potty. Keeping it simple for now.

Tags
tank, water