Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Filling the propane tank

This is going to sound like a real newby question, and I guess it is. I've had my Holiday Rambler Imperial for 3 years and have gone on short trips a number of times. I have a larger than normal propane tank since the MH was originally set up as dual fuel (propane and gasoline). I have finally run out of propane and I need to fill the tank. But, this is something I have never done before. How do you go about filling the on board tank of a motorhome? Do I just drive it to a propane dealer and just say, "Fill it up!" Do propane dealers know how to fill a motorhome?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #2

I got mine filled at a U-Haul place. Anywhere that fills propane tanks and has a large storage tank with a long hose should be able to fill it without any problems. Some places just want to exchange the small portable tanks so they might not be able to help you.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #3

Do I just drive it to a propane dealer and just say, "Fill it up!"
Yes

Do propane dealers know how to fill a motorhome?
Yes

Actually, both answers are yes if you go to a real propane dealer, as opposed to one who simply sells (or trades in) prefilled bottles.
J Birder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many truck stops like Loves, Pilot and Flying J also fill propane and are familiar with RVs. Many campgrounds like KOA do too. If you have several suppliers near you call about the price because it can vary a good bit and it sounds like you are going to buy a good amount this time. You might check for easy RV access, too, but they usually have delivery trucks that need access, as well.

A couple of things to monitor while it is done. The attendant should loosen the liquid vent while pumping and stop filling when fluid comes out the vent. This indicates the tank is at the 80% full mark, thus leaving room for vapor which is what your system actually runs on. Turning off the main valve from the tank helps ensure no liquid propane is inadvertently allowed into your appliances and regulator if over filled.

The other tip is to wait a few minutes before replacing the yellow cap on the fill port. If the cap is replaced too soon residual propane liquid in the filler port will expand, breaking the cap. I had this happen and had the devil of a time finding a new one.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
T Do I just drive it to a propane dealer and just say, "Fill it up!" Do propane dealers know how to fill a motorhome?
There are two kinds of Propane Dealer.

ONE is a "Tank Exchange" place,, IE: Blue Rhino. They can not help you.

The other is the kind that has a big fixed tank and pumps.. I have yet to meet one that could not Fill 'er up.

Flying-J's usually have propane.. Many other truck stop chains, (Loves, TA, Pilot et-al) may have it.. I've seen quite a few gas stations that have it, Some hardware stores (IE ACE hardware in South Carolina) I last filled mine at a propane delivery/wholesale service (The kind of company that has big trucks) 2.69/gallon last month... Was kind of fun.. They wanted to give me directrions to the place since it's kind of "out in the sticks" (3635 14 mile rd Tekonsha, MI), I told 'em I knew how to get there.

Used to be my dad's farm. It is where I grew up.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SVTotam gave you the run down on what to watch for when getting propane. Filling the tank is an easy thing to do.

When "home" I use a particular staion that has a tank when I fll wiht gas I get propane as well. Many RV resorts can fill your tank. Also there are man propane services that will come to your rig if you call then or catch them on their normal rounds at RV sites with Park Models.

When I am in Tucson the office gives you a card to put under your windshield; when you do that the propane service knows to fill your tank. We stay long enough so we even have an account.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oops--sorry for the typo SVTotem.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lowe's can not fill motorhome. They only do 20# and 30# tanks. The vast majority of propane dealers can take care of you.
Dan
Old 06-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #9

Thank you for your help. There is a large propane company in the next town that also delivers to homes. I see their trucks going down my street occasionally although I don't use propane at my house. I'll give them a call and see what I can set up. If I have to go to their facility, it isn't too hard to get to and easy access at the site. I was just afraid I was going to show up there and they were going to look at me like I had lost my marbles. Well, that might happen anyway, but I feel better about them being able to fill my tank.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will be just fine! They should be happy with the size of your purchase, too.

SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank