Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Filling the water tank...

OK, super basic stupid question here...

But is THIS where I fill my water tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	24031  
jeffdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I can't tell need a close up shot of it plus what make is it?

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

1965 Kodiak. Photo coming...
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #4

Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	140
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	24037  
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi, Yes it looks like a water fill port and even a water connection by screwing it on to a hose maybe, not sure.
It is definitely a water fill and maybe you can crawl undernearth and follow tubing and see if it goes into tank or follow it inside trailer and see if it goes to a tank.

Good Luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

It definitely goes to a tank, and there is a drain port underneath, I just didn't know if there might be a different way to fill it. I tested the pressure system this morning with what water I COULD get in there (leading me to believe the tank was relatively full to start, and pressure wasn't great...

The bad news is that the sink trap is trashed, previous owner apparently thought electrical tape would be an appropriate method of repair. It was additionally completely clogged as well, so this afternoon I gotta try to replace that plumbing.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi, Yes it looks like a water fill port and even a water connection by screwing it on to a hose maybe, not sure.
Don't think you can connect a hose, this is 2-3 in across.

I think this is a pressure activated system, and the amount of flow is pretty pathetic thus far. I have been told that replacement parts for most of the trailers components are completely outdated and unavailable. Can this system be adapted to something different?

BTW, woke up to this half assed "repair" job this morning. If you can even call it that. Been trying to match plumbing parts all day, not my forté.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	106
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	24061  
Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #8

Your trailer may be built like some modular homes are built and require special oddball sized plumbing parts. May have to go to a mobile home parts supply place.

You know there is probably as much cost in that tape he used as a new trap would have cost!!!!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is an old pressure system that works on air pressure. If it is still operable, you put water in the tank, screw the cap on and pressurize it with about 30# of air pressure. The system probably has leaks by now.

Most of these have been converted over to a plastic demand tank with a 12 VDC water pump.

The original had a small 12 VDC air compressor to pressurize the tank.

Looks like the previous owner was a master at make a simple job into a total screw up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
You probably have an air pressurized water system. The tank would be metal. If it had water left in it, it could be pretty nasty. Since parts are not available, you might think about installing a plastic tank and a pump.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
That is an old pressure system that works on air pressure. If it is still operable, you put water in the tank, screw the cap on and pressurize it with about 30# of air pressure.
Pressurize it... how? By just running the pump? Would it have an auto shut off feature when a certain PSI was achieved? Air pressure vs. Water Pressure seems like a really inefficient system to me. Tank seems to be in excellent shape.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
There should be a 12 v air compressor and a pressure valve that shuts it off when it reaches pressure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow haven't seen one of those in years. My parents had that setup on a 1958 KenCraft TT. Water goes in after you remove the screw on cap, then you pressurize the metal tank though the schrader valve on the side. We carried a bicyle air pump that we used when away from a service station. It's also possible for them to have an air compressor riged to the tank, although after this long it could be just used as a water tank and have a standard water pump on it.
Cap says not to pressurize over 100 psi, we did that at service stations but if the tank was full of water the pressure went down quickly so we used the hand pump.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #14

No sh*t. So I can just hook up a pump and pressurize that puppy. Of course when you empty the tank and need to refill it will stink on ice... but... I see my air compressor mating with this nipple in the near future.

Tags
tank, water