Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #15

Mine has a large rear storage area though it's not airtight in the least between it and the living area. Although, I only have a use for the sewer hose for grey water from the sink right now. I will be using a Thetford porta potti rather than replace the pull valve and risk the black water tank springing a leak while in use. I may change my mind later on though. Anyway, I'm tickled to death to find the hose and the fact that the bumper is a storage space. It's very heavy duty and perfectly fits the bumper.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #16

That's great, and I'm not fond of the black water idea indoors, either. I was thinking about pulling the toilet out and just using a portable. Grey water is bad enough, I've heard some bad stories about dump stations too.

I just posted four new pics, the front of the truck cab, the kitchen side and storage side (bathroom is on the right of the storage wall, behind the folding chair in the pic) and the view from the dining table towards the cab. Of course, it doesn't look like this now because I've ripped it all up inside. The day I bought it, I had to rip out two layers of wet carpeting and dry the treated plywood floor.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:17 AM   #17

Yeah, dump stations don't sound too appealing to me. A portapotti for a single person like myself is a perfectly good substitute. It has to be dumped, sure, but you can do it at any restroom, or even at a full hookups site if you just dump it into the city sewer system directly. They use less chemicals I'm sure than a large holding tank would so it should cost less to operate as well. I plan to use parks with restrooms whenever possible, or boondock overnight at places with restrooms (ie: wal-mart) so I won't HAVE to use the porta potti unless I don't feel like walking to the restroom.

The one I got is by Thetford although it's labeled "Campa Potti" insead of "Porta potti" which seems to be the European model line for their toilets. For some reason, Wal-Mart here is selling them now instead of Porta Potti. I'm not complaining, they have larger capacity for the same price as the "Porta" ones they used to sell. I had bought a Porta and returned it and bought a "Campa" instead.

There are even electric flush models although they get pricey but they're good if you don't want to have to hand pump it to flush it.

Regarding grey water, vintage Shastas (at least 60s and older) don't have any holding capacity for grey water. They considered this a "feature" so your black water tank wouldn't get filled quickly with grey water and so you could help water nearby nature. An actual document given out by Shasta back then states this. Of course now that's a serious issue. I will have to use a cheap water container from wal-mart to contain any grey water I produce while not at a full hook-ups site and haul it to a dump station for emptying. If not for the high cost of actual tanks for that purpose, plus having to store it someplace, I'd just buy one since they have wheels built in for easy moving. I may just take my excess cargo carrier along for long stays somewhere (ie: a campground without full hookups) so I can just stick the container on it and drive it over to the dump station with the van. The cargo carrier will just have to sit inside the van when not in use. Inconvient but that's what I'd have to do if I wanted to have it along, and not put a full container of grey water into the van. Although I guess it would be ok so long as it doesn't leak, since it'll just be sink water.

Anyhoo... it looks like they sort of purposely built the inside of that MH so that the heavier weight would be at or not much behind the rear axel, having the dinette in the very back.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #18

Honestly, I don't think there is anything I could load back there that would make the front wheels come off the ground. Somebody mentioned that earlier. The water pressure tank is under that back bench, I really hope that doesn't have any leaks, I have enough to do with rebuilding the walls and ceiling.

I am glad that the entire bathroom is encased in a fiberglass box, only the entrance side is open and has a shower curtain. It's pretty small in there with that huge toilet. It has some sort of electric power flush on it, but the wires are cut. I doubt I'll investigate that much, I'm 99% sure I'll pull it out.

As far as grey water, I'm not sure what I'll do about that yet. I plan to check some of the outdoor outfitter stores in the area and see what my options are for water issues. I might as well bring a few gallons of fresh water, I filter here at home. I will also be using nature-friendly soap for everything.

Ah, so much to do, so little time.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pinecone70:
Honestly, I don't think there is anything I could load back there that would make the front wheels come off the ground. Somebody mentioned that earlier. The water pressure tank is under that back bench, I really hope that doesn't have any leaks, I have enough to do with rebuilding the walls and ceiling.

I am glad that the entire bathroom is encased in a fiberglass box, only the entrance side is open and has a shower curtain. It's pretty small in there with that huge toilet. It has some sort of electric power flush on it, but the wires are cut. I doubt I'll investigate that much, I'm 99% sure I'll pull it out.

As far as grey water, I'm not sure what I'll do about that yet. I plan to check some of the outdoor outfitter stores in the area and see what my options are for water issues. I might as well bring a few gallons of fresh water, I filter here at home. I will also be using nature-friendly soap for everything.

Ah, so much to do, so little time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the water tank is as well made as the one in my 67, then the tank probably won't leak. The water lines coming from it however may be another matter.

This is the type of portable waste tank I was talking about:

Antibactrial dish soap should be nature friendly enough which is what I plan to keep on hand. Bar soap should be also. Only thing that might not be nature friendly would be harsh cleaners.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #20

I have never seen a tank like that, but I haven't had a need for one before. Looks flatter than I pictured, what are its dimensions?

The copper looks good on all my water supply lines, they had recently been worked on according to the son of the previous owner. He put a new kitchen faucet in and the water heater looks brand new to me. I can't get to that until I take the cabinets apart, but it's new enough probably. I am pretty sure they didn't let water freeze in the lines.

I picked up a nice remnant of top quality fiberglass-backed vinyl for the flooring. Might have put the cart before the horse on that purchase, but it was too good to pass up. The stuff bends without tearing, is water and mold resistant and can be floated with quarter round trim holding it down and seamed with duct tape. Seems like something I'd put in the house if it works well in the camper.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pinecone70, Welcome to the forum and glad you are here! All of us love our Vintage RVs. Post any questions you have here, and one of us here may have a answer. Enjoy, Capt. Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pinecone70:
I have never seen a tank like that, but I haven't had a need for one before. Looks flatter than I pictured, what are its dimensions?

The copper looks good on all my water supply lines, they had recently been worked on according to the son of the previous owner. He put a new kitchen faucet in and the water heater looks brand new to me. I can't get to that until I take the cabinets apart, but it's new enough probably. I am pretty sure they didn't let water freeze in the lines.

I picked up a nice remnant of top quality fiberglass-backed vinyl for the flooring. Might have put the cart before the horse on that purchase, but it was too good to pass up. The stuff bends without tearing, is water and mold resistant and can be floated with quarter round trim holding it down and seamed with duct tape. Seems like something I'd put in the house if it works well in the camper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tank dimensions varies by the capacity and there are many different sizes available. Search ebay for "TOTE-ALONG" tank or just "RV tank" and look for them in the results. You can get a 10 gallon for under $100 or 15 gallon for a bit over $100 which I may decide to get later on, but right now I need a $80 door lock which I will get next month. The tank is something I really don't need right now.
The inside of the copper pipes is what matters, not the outside. If they're green inside (and they most likely are) they need to be replaced for the sink and shower. Just unhook a pipe from a connection and look down inside of the pipe to see if it's green.

The toilet wouldn't matter as much since you don't drink or absorb the water into your skin. You could get poisoning/serious medial problems (liver failure or something I think?) from using old copper pipes that long term if they are green inside.

Even if the pipes aren't green inside, aren't broken, you should probably still unhook all connections and reconenct them with a new application of teflon tape to the threads since they may start leaking due to age.

I decided to put indoor/outdoor carpet into mine because of a section of the floor has been replaced by the previous owner and it's a bit uneven, with gaps, so vinyl flooring would end up torn up easily due to that. The carpet I bought from a builing outlet supply is good and heavy duty so it should hold up well without teraing up due to this.

Keeping the floor clean may be a slight problem but I do have small shop vac for serious cleaning needs (and wet messes) and I guess I'll take along a "stick vac" for casual cleaning.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi again, From what I see of the pictures, It don't look all that bad!! That looks somewhat like mine but different colors.The price had to be right and the condition good or you wouldn't have bought it. Enjoy the re-do and post pictures so we can view the progress! Capt.Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #24

Take my advice, if you get a tote, get a 4 wheeled one... Your back will thank you!!! Those little tanks get heavy fast. Mine is either 25 or 32 gal (a gray one that was cheaper than the blue ones). I was cheap and stupid. Got a 2 wheeled one and have regretted it ever since. We used to use it for the grey water drain on the pop-up. Now we use it for dumping both tanks (18 gal each) on the Class C. You might not want to store your drain hose in your bumper. The interior of the bumper tends to rust. The little bits of rust grind little tiny pinholes into your drain hose. Then your drain hose operates like a sprinkler. We didn't do that! But we did get the tiny pinholes because we used a cheaper (thinner walled) drain hose. I keep our drain hose (we have 2; one long for RV-2-tote or campground drain and a shorter one for dumping the tote with) in a big black trash bag that I put into a Rubbermaid tote, strapped down on the Hitch Haul or in the back of David's truck (or carried on his cargo trailer)
Old 04-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #25

Out TT has a black tank and there is a dumping station within 1 mile of our home. It is SL County water department and is free.

When we come home we drive by and if there is a line we just keep going and I go back a day or two later and dump.

We don't have a gray tank and only boondock and duping gray water is not a problem where we camp.

I hope I never have to consider a tote, gray or black, if I did it would definately have 4-wheels.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:00 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
Take my advice, if you get a tote, get a 4 wheeled one... Your back will thank you!!! Those little tanks get heavy fast. Mine is either 25 or 32 gal (a gray one that was cheaper than the blue ones). I was cheap and stupid. Got a 2 wheeled one and have regretted it ever since. We used to use it for the grey water drain on the pop-up. Now we use it for dumping both tanks (18 gal each) on the Class C. You might not want to store your drain hose in your bumper. The interior of the bumper tends to rust. The little bits of rust grind little tiny pinholes into your drain hose. Then your drain hose operates like a sprinkler. We didn't do that! But we did get the tiny pinholes because we used a cheaper (thinner walled) drain hose. I keep our drain hose (we have 2; one long for RV-2-tote or campground drain and a shorter one for dumping the tote with) in a big black trash bag that I put into a Rubbermaid tote, strapped down on the Hitch Haul or in the back of David's truck (or carried on his cargo trailer) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The largest one I'd get is 15 gallons unless I find one dirt cheap. I'm currently considering about a 6-8 gallon container without any wheels. Talk about being a near back breaker when those are filled with water!

The inside of the bumper on mine is already rusted some... unless it's just a thick layer of dirt I'm seeing. I'll have to remove both end caps and try cleaning it out with a pressure sprayer to see I guess. It's far from airtight so dirt and such can get into it, and probably has 40 years worth in it now.

I don't have a truck bed as my tow vehicle is a van and my storage place will not really fit a plastic storage box unless it's very short, but long, which is built under the bed platform (kind of hard to explain). I would either have to put the hose in the bumper, or only in a trash bag inside the rear storage area directly under where I sleep where it's not at all airtight between it and the living area. Any and all smells will come into the living area. Even if I don't use it for black water, it may get such smells from being connected to the sewer system of a park.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cubey: I'm currently considering about a 6-8 gallon container without any wheels. Talk about being a near back breaker when those are filled with water! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Multiply that by how big your holding tanks are. We used a 5 gal tank on our pop-up's grey drain. The girls used 5 gals of water to wash dishes so it was dumped at least twice a day, usually by me. It was soooo heavy that I got tired of dumping it and bought the grey one in Hixson, TN at an RV sales/service center. We were staying at Chester Frost for SAT testing at the time which meant we were there for several days while David was in NC. It was so much easier than hauling the 5 gallon jug and I didn't have to set it in the floor or the Jeep.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't have a truck bed as my tow vehicle is a van and my storage place will not really fit a plastic storage box unless it's very short, but long, which is built under the bed platform (kind of hard to explain). </div></BLOCKQUOTE> We don't have a truck as a towed vehicle either. We live full-time in the Class C. David has a full-size pickup for work and it pulls his cargo trailer. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow behind (had it for years). My Class C and the Jeep both have 2" square receivers that will accept the Hitch Haul. I have a big plastic black box (always) strapped to the Hitch Haul to carry our excess stuff in... like the extra metal tank puller (left the original one in NC last summer... had to buy another one). We only have the rear "under bed" storage area on the Class C, we expanded it but it's still small and I have a hard time getting towards the back of it. But it is under our bed (foam insulation on "ceiling" and vinyl floored dimemsions are approximately 1'Hx4'Dx3.5'L). I store our metal tables, some tools, stuff like that there. I'm not really using it well since I tend to stuff everything in the black box. We will probably use that space (clean & dry) to store food & stuff since we want to join Sam's Club (all that bulk stuff that we will end up buying & I also need a place to store paper towels & 12 pks of double roll toilet paper). I have 2 10 gal Rubbermaid totes strapped down on one side of the black tool box (all from Lowes)... 1 box holds my "fresh water" hose & connections the other box holds 1 "waste water" hose and the hose connections. I need a bigger box to hold both hoses but at the time I had only one hose. I strap my little gas grill down on the other side of the box (it's greasy on the bottom and I don't want it inside). The waste water tote can be strapped down on top of the black box (I really like those rachetting cargo tie-down straps and bungee cords!) and I have only done that once so far, since David tends to toss it in the back of the truck. We are currently in FL and David followed me down since he had to pull a small U-Haul down & a larger one will be taken back. David is helping a very unorganized wedding planner (we have been living and working at her mother's house... David bid on building a 40ft tunnel... don't ask... and has ended up doing so much more... I'm hiding in the campground otherwise I would get sucked into it too... ). I would say never again but I said that last year about FL and Panama City Beach... Guess where we are! But the wedding is today, so they tear down and we leave here on Monday. It will be a miracle if this gets pulled off with out a major disaster happpening.

Get a notepad to keep in your RV. Keep a list of things to buy or check out or "modify". You will find this list will grow once you start using the RV. You will also find you can unload other stuff. Our biggest surprise has been how few clothes we need. For us, the smallness of our Class C has been a test to see how little space we can get by with and how much we truly need. This is a good "practice" place before we get serious about the bus conversion. I have already started redesigning the floor plan of the bus due to things we have learned since Nov '06.

We can all tell you things that have worked for us. But they may not work for you because we all are different. None of this is written in stone and you can change your RV to suit your likes & dislikes. Don't forget to include your family in on the decisions. That's one of the great things about having an "older" RV. If you can start using the RV before the interior is completely finished, you may find it helps to "tweak" the design by actual usage. The down side is that most of the older RVs are orphans (company has gone out of business or it may have the same name but it's a different business than the one who biult your RV). I have found it doesn't really matter who built the camper part. The Chassis is important (for us GMC) and most of the appliances have been replaced thru the years (or needed to). E-mailing the company with a serial number will get you an indiction of how old your appliance is (like I contacted the folks who make the Coleman TSR AC unit... not Coleman, it's RVP and my AC unit was made in June 1996) so you can determine if you should replace it or not. We don't know for sure who made the water heater. We tore it apart (leak) and put it back together after cleaning & making a few small repairs. Works great and it may be original (or close to).

We looked at a lot of newer used Rv's and they all needed as much or more work. So we opted to go with the cheapest inital investment. The Generator alone was worth what we paid for the RV. Our actual chassis was sound... needed a tune up and mufflers. So we did that. We have replaced the framing in the rear section (roof mounted rack leaked & rotted out the framing... removed rack), added a partion wall (2X2 hard maple frame... had material laying around) that really added alot of support to the camper section and gave us a "seperate" bedroom. Rebuilt most of the cabinets (I now have adjustable shelves) but kept the original face frames and added a new countertop & faucet. Replaced the old 2 way Dometic RV fridge with 110vAC refrigerator and a 110vAC freezer (I use alot of frozen food). Changed the electric hook up (partioned out a new cable hatch, added a side door, the cable can be pluged into the generator plug from inside the cable compartment). Replaced all the 12v automobile light bulb lights with flourescents (and added a few). Added 12vDC (direct wired low voltage garden lights) in a few places... a 7w bulb can put out a decent amount of light if it's used correctly. Replaced all the interior paneling with MDF beadboard (I chose a "cottage" look... I went to Lowes and picked out a paint sample card that showed an entire room and used all those colours). I have also included a little "victorian fretwork" inside (I'm a sucker for Victorian fretwork and cottages, I have a lot of reprinted vintage house catalogs & builder's books on that era). Added air bag spring lift kit (much better ride ... cheap from JC Whitney) and replaced part of the brake lines. Still got more work to do. We have roughly a little less than 1K in improvements invested (counting our time as $0). Our Class C (similar year, make, model, condition) sells for $3-$4.5K. Even if we put a total of $2K in improvements we will still be within the value for an unimproved similar one. Is it alot of work.. yes. But when finished, we will have a very nice looking RV (and it will look good outside when I get it patched and painted).

Pretty much all the RVs we looked at had a rotted roof (either total or partial), rot around doors, bath, & windows and many had delaminated walls. I loved the ones that said "just like new interior" with a just like new price and the walls were literally rooted away due to poor maintenance (washing & waxing does not count as maintenance). There was even one that we looked at that was beautiful looking. It even smelled new (fragrance from the car store??) but I refused to even climb up to look at the roof. I didn't think the ladder would hold up to me climbing up it. I think the entire wall system was rotted away (I know the section where the water heater was was gone because I could lay on the ground and look up... at nothing. Ditto for the furnace. But not a ding or scratch on it. Didn't even look like it had ever been used. Boy, were they proud of it. We could buy the same make, brand new for the same price those folks were asking for (it was 10 yrs old). We kept backing up in age trying to find one that was old enough to have solid wood cabinets (at least the face frames) in it and have other "non-particle boad" components. Turns out our subfloor was plywood as well (good thing because nothing is on our subfloor right now except a braided rug! ) Finally ended up locating this one. But a friend was with David and he need it for a year. So he bought it, used it for a year, then we bought it from him. Even after he bought it we kept looking. Never did find one in the price/condition combo we were willing to put up with.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #28

Well there's a few flaws in your suggestions since I have a trailer, not a MH. I considered putting a bumper hitch on the trailer but eh, that might add too much unwanted weight to the back of the trailer, even if I don't store much on the cargo carrier.

Also, chassis comments don't count since it's a trailer, not a MH.

About comparing my grey water tank capacity... what grey water tank? These older shastas were made without ANY grey water storage at ALL. They considered it a feature so you wouldn't have to dump as often, and you could use your grey water to help water nature. So right now, I have zero grey water storage capacity, other than what the pipe can hold between the sink drain and the sewer hose hookup.

I only went to seriously look at two trailers and the first one was the same price as the one I bought, except it was in horrid condition and I was told "all it needs is sweeping out". Yeah... right.... if anyone weighing much more than me (145lbs) got into it, they'd probably have fallen through the floor. Yes, it was that bad.

I was impaient so I ended up buying the one I did. Compared to the other one it was like new, lol. Of course it's had a lot of issues and still does a bit, and always will, as I have no desire to recompletely rebuild it. I've just put work into it to repair things like leaks and such, and also items I want/need for use of the trailer like an inside 12v system (it had nothing left except the two original dome lights..) added 120v outlets, redone fresh water lines, etc.