Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #1

Hello, I'm new here and just got my first motorhome on a country auction. I haven't seen much online at all about Franklin motorhomes or campers, and this one is a '70 with a Chevy 350. I've always wanted to remodel a camper and this was the perfect opportunity, the price was right, it runs great and looks nice on the outside. Right now it has a gigantic blue tarp over it to keep the rain out, those roof vents aren't all they're cracked up to be. I'll be combing these forums for tips and tricks for my remodel, but I won't attempt an authentic Franklin original remodel, since I know I can't get parts.

Any advice is welcome, I know I can tackle this thing and make something great out of it.
pinecone70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #2

Hello, I'm new here and just got my first motorhome on a country auction. I haven't seen much online at all about Franklin motorhomes or campers, and this one is a '70 with a Chevy 350. I've always wanted to remodel a camper and this was the perfect opportunity, the price was right, it runs great and looks nice on the outside. Right now it has a gigantic blue tarp over it to keep the rain out, those roof vents aren't all they're cracked up to be. I'll be combing these forums for tips and tricks for my remodel, but I won't attempt an authentic Franklin original remodel, since I know I can't get parts.

Any advice is welcome, I know I can tackle this thing and make something great out of it.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #3

Welcome! Some photos would be nice. Good luck with the remodeling!
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #4

I thought the Franklin units were built by the "Travelers" (Gypsys) and were of poor quality. I may be wrong but the info sticks with me because of the name... We used to live in "Franklin" (NC) and my mother-in-law's last name was "Franklin".
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #5

I won't know how poorly it was built until I tear out the ceiling. Honestly, no matter what the brand, I haven't seen many of those roof vents that don't leak. Seems to be in good condition for its age though, aside from previous owner's abuse and shoddy repairs.

I attempted to post a pic on the 'Vintage' pics area, but I'm not sure I did so correctly until it posts.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #6

Like I said, I'm not sure. If I am right, maybe you were lucky enough to get one that they built for themselves. As far as the roof vents I think they all tend to leak OR get left open during rainstorms. We have the Maxxair vent covers on both of our vents. Really nice for when it rains. But I have had rain blow in when the wind was blowing hard from the vented side. I can leave the vents open while driving down the road.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 AM   #7

I was considering vent covers, or *maybe* replacing the current vents with some of those solar powered fans. If those are rain-resistant they might be a good upgrade. I do plan on extensive roof repair, or my air conditioner will eventually fall in.

I removed the propane stove last night, which is not in the greatest shape anymore, and likely not original equipment. The original paneling and framing looks well-made and sturdy, but there have been patches of different paneling put in over the years. I believe this was a one owner rig, which is nice. I can't wait to tear out the ceiling and see the framing underneath.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #8

The pic just got approved and is now posted, called 'camper12' on the vintage photos page.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:48 AM   #9

I've always liked those type of older MHs, look forward to more pictures.
rubiranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:37 AM   #10

Is it just my imagination or is the wheelbase a bit short on that one? Especially since it looks like it has some type of extra cargo carrier on the rear. I wouldn't load too much weight behind the rear axel by the looks of it.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #11

The weird thing about that homemade cargo compartment is that the previous owner stashed his mobility scooter back there. Now, it seems miraculous to me that this 300# container plus mobility scooter (maybe 175#) didn't fall off on the road somewhere.

It's coming off. I'm going to remove all the bolts and patch the outside of the camper, put the bumper back where it belongs. It might be a good idea to bolt a smaller cargo box on the bumper. Bumper itself is hollowed out for septic hose storage. Right now I'm focusing on lightening the load. It's kind of no wonder they had to rebuild the transmission, hauling a scooter on the back.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #12

Even without the container, I can easily imagine the front wheels going into the air with any weight put behind the rear wheels. . .

If they had simply put the rear wheels back a few feet, it would have been a lot better. I'd like to see what the inside looks like as well. I wanna see how well laid out it is.

Dodge 440 in an M500 chassis
Sanjay R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pinecone70:
Bumper itself is hollowed out for septic hose storage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I never imagined that the bumper on vintage trailers could hold a sewer hose. I've casually heard of bumpers having a hose in them but I somehow though it was like.. for fixed use (ie: a toilet or something). It occured to me that when you said that, that my 67 Shasta's bumper seemed to have removable caps on the ends. I just out there and with a hammer, carefully banged off one of the ends and out came a long sewer hose in perfect condition aside from having some dirt and cobwebs on it from being the bumper. It looks like it was never even used, or at least was rinsed very well after it's last use. Of course I used some disposable gloves just in case though odds are the hose hasn't been used in 20 years, if ever. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't yet buy a sewer hose. I just need the bayonet fixtures for the ends of it as it doesn't have any ends right now, with further makes me beleive it was never used. So thanks for mentioning this!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #14

Wow, I had no idea I was helping, but you're welcome. I figure the best place for one of those hoses is as far away from living space as possible, even if it's rinsed well. Was just reading a book on RV tips and the writers mentioned seeing folks at campgrounds just tossing those hoses in the side compartment--and putting their expensive water filters right in on top! Yuck.

Unfortunately, I found lots of water damage and even dry rot and a bit of mold under the ceiling today. I also found that someone had put screws through the roof that didn't hit the frame inside the ceiling at all. Might have to skin the entire top (it's fiberglass) with corrugated vinyl or aluminum roofing. It's a mess, but I'm not going to give up. It will be mostly new when I get done with it.