Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2019, 09:30 PM   #1

Arrow First time owner - 30 year old 5th wheel

Hello RV'ers

So, I have finally dipped my big toe into RV ownership. My first RV is arriving tomorrow, and I am both excited, and anxious. I got an incredible deal. $800 CDN for a 32 foot 5th wheel that has been owned by one couple its entire life. Its 30 years old, but every repair has been made by an RV tech, everything is in perfect working order, fridge, stove, heat, toilet - etc.

The intention for this unit, is to park it on our property for my oldest son to stay in (and to use as a guest house). It is not insurable so it needs to be moved by a tow truck each time we move it, but it fits our needs perfectly.

I want to continue on with taking excellent care of it - though I cant really afford an RV tech. I am pretty handy and with my sons, we should be able to manage any work that needs to be done on it.

Already we have set up a spot, packed 2 inches of crushed gravel and are awaiting delivery.

My next big concern is the roof, and joints. Ensuring everything is sealed up well so no water gets in. I also need to be extremely mindful of the budget.

I have looked into rubber roofing sealants and the like, but wonder if there isnt a better/less expensive way for an RV that will essentially be in one spot for the rest of its life (maybe one more move when I retire - if its still around)

What ideas do you guys have? The place I purchased from had built a roof over it (as you can see from the pictures) but that is too big of a project to complete before the island rains start (and dont end until may)

Thanks so much for your time, and having this forum.
SW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ter1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	265500   Click image for larger version

Name:	ter4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	265501  

Name:	ter.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	265502   Click image for larger version

Name:	ter3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	265503  

Name:	ter2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	265504  
seaweedbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice! Welcome here. Glad to have you aboard.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #3

Heavy rain

So heavy rain is your main concern. The plan should be a careful inspection of the roof. Get up there and look very close at every square inch.

The most likely places and the first leaks to appear are at seams, edges, around roof vents, air conditioner, and other fittings.
Next go over the "rubber" surface closely looking for cracks or tears. If there are no "rubber" cracks or tears any fix will be easy and low cost. Use DiCorp self leveling sealant on any cracks in existing sealant. It comes in caulking tubes. I had to buy 6 tubes even though I only needed a couple of ounces, but it is the best for sealing over every crack.

There are other products and they may be good or bad. There is EternaBond tape for RV roofs. I only know about the DiCorp self leveling. Here is the DiCorp website where you can find instructions for use. You can buy it from many on line RV stores.
https://dicorproducts.com/product-ca...roof-products/

Don't use hardware store caulking and especially not silicon products. Silicon is to strong and will eventually tear the "rubber" at the edges of the silicone bead. If silicone or other caulking has already been used, I think it must be completely removed before resealing.

Google "RV roof repair" for extensive results.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

I just redid my roof with the Dicor 2 part coating for under $200. Tape the seams, caulk the perimeter and all openings like roof vents and AC etc, then apply the Dicor. No matter where that was stored it will, at the least, need to be resealed. Don't forget to check the openings on the sides like the fresh water fill port and city water connection port to be sure you won't get water in the walls as well.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #5

Congratulations
Enjoy
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

great looking rig, you have a great find there
patches64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel