Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, there are a LOT of cabinet doors in this little coach. I'd hate to think about what you guys with the big ones must go through. This is only the ones that would fit the dining room table;

Oh, and by the way, in my wife happens by, remember, "There's no way painting cabinet doors in the dining room can be 'bad'". Ok?

Hopefully they get the 2nd and final coat of Kilz tonight and then start getting real paint tomorrow. Drawers too, of course.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #16

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Alrighty then......as the doors are drying and waiting for the hardware to be re-installed (not to mention they're waiting on the delivery man to bring the new pulls), thoughts are drifting to the exterior. Mind you, Phase #2 as we'll call it, is still a couple of months away as there's plenty to do on the inside yet. However, I have plenty of "free time" at work and instead of just sitting here twiddling my thumbs, I've been playing with Microsoft Paint. Now before you chime in with how awful my photo alteration skills are, know that my feelings are easily hurt (not really, but still). I do, however, know there's no fear in me getting scooped up to work on the next Disney Pixar film. Still, here's where I'm at right now........
Before;

And After;

Haven't figured out how I'm going to add the "Grille" that I've drawn, but I think it's a needed addition. Don't repeat this too loudly, but this thing is kinda ugly so I figure I need to dress up the outside since I'm dressing up the inside.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #17

Very nice job on the remodeling. You might want to consider the extra heat load a dark colored RV will put on your AC. On a hot day you can't even touch the dark colored stripes on our RV where the white is still OK to touch. Also on hot days you have to consider how much heat transfers into the cabinets and heats up what your keeping in there.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #18

Lookin good. Keep up the good work...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
"She diesels a little" That is usually caused by a too high idle speed. Turn down the idle speed a little-if no change then hit the outside linkages on the carb with carb cleaner to see if a cam/linkage is a little gummed up. I to would think twice about painting her a dark color due to the heat load. Even now here in New Hampshire on a sunny day our motorhome heats up nice and toasty without the heater on.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #20

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks all, and yeah I'm waffling hard over the color. I still have a month or so to go back and forth several times over it.

Rockwood, thanks for the heads-up on the carb. I'll give it a go this weekend and report back. I need to get the "model #" off of it anyway because I should probably order a rebuild kit as it looks like it might be due for a serious cleaning at the least.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Need to ask-is this a chevy chassis? 454? If it is you will need to find on the net two papers on the carb:
Q-Jet Problems by Lars Grimsrud
How to Tune a Q-Jet by Lars Grimsrud
Great info on the quadrajet carb that GM used.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
"Dieseling" "run-on" is a pre-ingniton timing issue. A good tune up should fix that.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #23

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
@Rockwood - yessir, this is a 454 GM and I'll Google those papers.

@chief02 - that's on the list too just because it's "new-to-me" if one of these weekends will cooperate.

Why is it that it's nice weather during the week and not-so-nice when the weekend rolls around, when you have to work Monday thru Friday?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #24

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Cabinet doors are finally done with paint and the new pulls came in this afternoon too. Perfect fit! (whew)

So, that means I'm about 30% done with the inside painting stuff........sheesh.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #25

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So, I got a little lucky on Ebay this past week. I purchased a complete set of "Motorhome Curtains", as they were advertised for $9.00 plus shipping. From the looks of it, the seller may have made a mistake by only showing pictures of tiebacks. Even though she listed complete sizes and numbers of each curtains, most people just "look at the pictures" and don't take the time to read the description. Sad for her, but happy for me!! Woohoo! Might be a little "sheer" for the front, but it's better than nothing;

I went to install the kitchen faucet and realized I need another hole since I purchased a pull-out faucet. Oh well, one more thing on the list I suppose.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #26

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The weather just will not cooperate for me in this project. Down in the upper 40s-low 50s and for these parts, that's FREEZING!! So, since I really don't want to burn up all my gas running the generator to have the furnace warm it up inside, I'm postponing the painting until it turns. Supposedly, we're getting back to normal middle of the week (70s even 80 on Saturday) so I'll keep my fingers crossed. In the meantime, I've just been spending a little here and a little there. Picked up a new set of stabilizer jacks for $25.00 (I love Craigslist and Ebay) and a set of curved awning arms. Still need a roller/awning itself. And then I turned my attention to my seats...the captain's chairs in the cockpit. Here's what we're starting with;

Trust me, they look a LOT better in the pictures. Actually, that's a faded mauve color that's leaning towards orange now. That just won't do at all. However, a coach this age surely doesn't merit new captains chairs at $1000 or so for the pair, at least I wouldn't think. I looked at CampingWorld but their covers get some puny reviews. I also found RV Chaircovers online, but at $49.00 each, I wasn't even sure they would fit. So, since I get sent to Wal Mart all the time by the missus, I decided to check the automotive section. What I found was a box with a pair of covers labeled "Big Truck/Van" for $34.96 total. Knowing that Wal Mart has a pretty liberal return policy, I figured what did I have to lose? Turns out, they're going to work just fine for me anyway;

The sides are unzipped in this picture, but still the look "ok". Oh sure, I'll need to do a little modifying here and there as they've got two openings on each corner of the headrest area exposed for seat belts. I'll also need to either make arm covers or find a matching dye for the existing ones. I'm also thinking about removing the chairs seatback pocket and sewing it into the cover as that's pretty handy for maps, etc. and these don't have one;

So, now I'm down to a little cooperation from the Weather Man and then it's just time. I still need to pick up carpet to replace under these two chairs, but that's about it for materials. The flooring is ready to go down under the toilet, and all the new fixtures are waiting to be installed. Need to drill a 3rd hole for the pullout faucet I picked up for the kitchen sink. Hopefully the forecast is right and I give a real update next weekend. Cross your fingers!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #27

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh, also, I've been talked out of the dark color scheme for the outside as shown above. The guys over at "classicwinnebago" convinced me that I wasn't thinking very logically and the dark colors would just make it an oven inside during the summer. Especially since I live in Florida. So, during down time at work this week, I went back to playing with Microsoft Paint and here's what I've settled on;

Gray with black trim and just a smidgeon of curves to make it easier to mask off, yet still look a little more modern. Leaving the roof white, of course. The question I have now is, should I paint the awning arms black or just leave the bare aluminum? Have a great week all, and thanks for stopping by.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #28

While your design is sharp looking I think you're still way too dark on the paint colors. There are alot of plastic items in the RV that will be decaying away as your RV sits and bakes in the sun. In addition the material the paint is on will likely be heating up too much and you could have problems with cracking, crazing of the paint etc. Try to stick with white and off-white, beige, metallic beige etc.

micd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind