Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
First time RVer is now also a first time "Remodeler"?-'84 Southwind Redo

Most of you know I've recently acquired my 1st motorhome; a 1984 Southwind Eagle 23 that was in pretty good shape. The previous owner replaced the flooring already, added a Jack-knife sofa and kept it really good shape. However, I'm one of those "jump in with both feet" folks, so I figure why not try my hand and dressing her up a smidge. And I've always wanted to do a remodel thread, if for nothing else but 'posterity' (is that the appropriate word?). So, here we go!

Please know, however, that I'm actively employed and a commuter so most of the updates will come either on Sunday nights or Monday mornings. However, I hope to document the process enough to keep it entertaining and my biggest reason is that a lot of you "old pros" will weigh in with suggestions and advice. I'm all ears. So, let's get started with what we're staring at, risking redundancy as I've shown these in the "get to know me" thread, so please bear with me.

I'm even going to attempt to do a "Roll-n-tip" exterior paint change, but we'll get through the inside first. I'm all about the path of least resistance along with the headlong plunges, if that makes any sense?
The inside;

And the "list";
-All woodwork painted white
-Walls painted (color waffling still taking place)
-Pilot/Co-Pilot chairs to be slip-covered (yes, I'm doing the sewing)
-Remaining carpet changed out in front
-New toilet, sink and faucets in bathroom
-New kitchen counter makeover, w/new sink faucet
-Install a couple small TVs somewhere

I've started the "Kilz" in the little amount of time I had this past weekend after picking her up and bring her home. By Sunday night, I expect to have all the wood and faux wood covered and will update then. I've already acquired the bathroom fixtures and the carpet. Oh, and I'm adding curtains to surround the bathroom and block off the bed at night, plus window dressings above each window. Seems like a lot, doesn't it? And don't worry, I have no expectations of recouping any of this money I'm spending; I'm doing it because I get bored really quick. We switched from the sailboat to the RV because the wife just never got passed the seasickness, so I come to the table with a little experience as I've remodeled 2 dinghies, a 22' and a 27'. I'm a long way from a pro, so please note the above "help wanted" mention and weigh in as much as you feel good about

Oh, I have accomplished something this week. The RV didn't have a "center console" and while it does have the hard-to-reach cupholders, I thought something oughta go there, so I made this;

It got it's 1st coat of nitro-lacquer tonight (I build guitars when there's nothing else to do, lol);

Not sure if you can tell in the picture, but I routed out an area between the two cupholders to hold change, etc. I am also going to add leather inside the cupholders because the mug I "eyeballed" was the biggest coffee cup we have, according to SWMBO. But, when it's done, it should fit the space well enough to look ok I think. As an aside, the bottom of this console is from an old sailboat rudder that was taking up space and the top is African Mahogany left over from a guitar I built. Kinda tho't it was "cute" to tie in ALL the hobbies

Wish me luck, bear with me and jump in as much as you want!
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Very Nice and looks so clean !!
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Go to www.shopfleetwoodparts.com
fishing127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, and she really is clean which made it almost a little harder to tear into her. However, she looks a lot better in pictures, if that makes sense. When you get up close and personal, she sure shows her wrinkles. However, it was her condition and the reams of records the PO kept that led me to her. I'm hoping to both refresh her and make her a little less ugly on the outside while I'm at it.

That link may come in handy, fishing.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
"The morning sun, when it's in your face really shows your age, but that don't bother me none , in my eyes you're everything"........Maggie-Mae, Rod Stewart, 1972. That's the way I feel about my ol' girl!
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Looking great. I really like that cup holder and the way you gouged out the recess for change. I never thought of doing it that way. Best of luck on this re-fresh.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Love the new console, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress! Look at it this way, you've got lots of room for improvement and personalization!
Dutch-n-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks all, and you're dead-on about the "only one way to go which is up", lol. I'm even debating toying around a little with fiberglass on the grill/bumper cover, only because it's something I've always wanted to try, but that's very low on the priority list. Who knows what this thing will look like when I'm done.

Hopefully tomorrow night I'll have some interior update pics. Nothing happened these last couple of days thanks to a work related "education" thing that occupied 17hours a day both Friday and Saturday. Luckily it's only every 2 years....sheesh. Tomorrow, however, is all mine as I've already fore-warned the real boss.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #9

Nice looking rig! Enjoy the plunge, make it yours. They are more fun that way!
Funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
She's a beaut! Do you have any engine or chassis work you need to do? Belts, hoses, gaskets, shocks?
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice looking unit. I wish you the best in your remodeling quest.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As for engine/chassis/shocks/etc. I will probably change the shocks out, but need to have a real look at them first. I don't have a frame of reference to know if it rides good or not, lol. The day I brought it home, spent about 50 miles driving it and seemed to drive fine, but it was a windy day and again, what do I know? The radiator hoses were just changed out before I brought it home, and the belts look like they can't be much over a year or so old. She diesels a little, so I believe I may pull the carb and clean it really good and put a little better air cleaner on there, then have someone come and set the timing just to be on the safe side. Fluids were all just changed prior to me trading for it and weren't showing any metal on the sticks when I got home, so I'm crossing my fingers there. I've got a couple clearance light bulbs out, but other than knick-knack driveability stuff, I may be lucky there.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #13

Very cool console...the laquer looks great. I am also a musician and use my 92' Damon DP as a"tour bus."
Damon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This may take a while...

So, I finally had some time this afternoon to start throwing the Kilz on cabinets, etc.

However, as you can see, it was so humid & hot inside the coach that I didn't last very long because my masking tape wouldn't stick. I'm really not sure why I didn't fire up the genny (RV is at a storage lot) and turn on the A/C, but we live and learn I suspect. However, I do have a question now. What is underneath this vinyl padded "head saver"? Anybody know?

Got the toilet, sink and new faucet fixtures just waiting for the paint to be done.

It's supposed to cool down tomorrow, hopefully, so it won't be so miserable working. I did, however, bring the doors & drawers home so I can prime them in the comfort of my living room, if I so choose.

Not much of an update, as this past weekend's "distraction" of work sure hurt the progress, but there's nothing on the slate for this upcoming one. Hopefully I can start adding a little paint. I did sit my cupholder masterpiece on the doghouse and while I thought it might have been too small, it sure got "swallowed up" pretty quick. I may add a cabinet of some time for the dash side to hold GPS, remote controls, maybe even room for a small DVD player. We'll see.

Tags
southwind