Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 218
RDY, post some pic's up of your rig. would like to see it. i know of only one other out there, so there are 3 of us with this rig. also where are you from? thanks. you can post here with pic's.

Outlaw
__________________

__________________
John & Colleen Weston & Cassie(our cat) -Olympia,WA
1978 GMC Midas Class A 30FT-454 Engine, 400 T
Outlaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #30
Junior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
here are some pics of our 1977 GMC Midas, we call her Bessie.....
We are currently using her to winter in south texas.

Pictures by rdy2trvl - Photobucket

this is to my photobucket page, i don't know how to post pictures directly to post.

i would also like to know what you have done to fix the free play in the steering, we have the same problem. I think i can make an adjustment on the steering box to take up the free play.
__________________

__________________
rdy2trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 218
that is very nice. i have duel headlites and my hood is a little different, but other then that it looks the same. looks like yours is very clean too. how many mi. on it? what kind of MPG do you get? have you done anything to the engine, pipes, carb, ignition?

mine has the stock headers but has duel pipes. the sound is very nice. need to do somethings to the carb and ignition and put in an X pipe to get better power an torque out of it and maybe better MPG. i only got a little over 7 MPG on this trip. i think the carb is varnished up after sitting so long.

the steering i haven't looked at yet. was wondering the same thing about tighting up the steering box some. have to look at it and see. we will be moving it to Olympia and living in it till our house get done. maybe will have time to check out the steering box.

thanks for the pics. looks good.

Outlaw
__________________
John & Colleen Weston & Cassie(our cat) -Olympia,WA
1978 GMC Midas Class A 30FT-454 Engine, 400 T
Outlaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw45 View Post
that is very nice. i have duel headlites and my hood is a little different, but other then that it looks the same. looks like yours is very clean too. how many mi. on it? what kind of MPG do you get? have you done anything to the engine, pipes, carb, ignition?

mine has the stock headers but has duel pipes. the sound is very nice. need to do somethings to the carb and ignition and put in an X pipe to get better power an torque out of it and maybe better MPG. i only got a little over 7 MPG on this trip. i think the carb is varnished up after sitting so long.

the steering i haven't looked at yet. was wondering the same thing about tighting up the steering box some. have to look at it and see. we will be moving it to Olympia and living in it till our house get done. maybe will have time to check out the steering box.

thanks for the pics. looks good.

Outlaw

Outlaw, I don't think 7mpg is that bad. We had a '76 Southwind on the Dodge chassis with the 440 Stage 3 and 3 speed trans and that's about what it got. Our '92 Holiday Rambler on the Ford F53 chassis with a 460 fuel injection and overdrive gets a whopping 10 on a good day but average is closer to 8 1/2 to 9...
__________________
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #33
Junior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
i have not done anything to the carb other than run some carb cleaner throught it and some gas treatment in the fuel tanks, i have changed all filters and fuel lines and put on a new fuel pump. mine also has the original manifolds wthi dual exhaust, hadn't thought about the X pipe.

i have all the original owners mauals for the rig and for fuel milage it says to expect 9 mpg at 60 mph and 6 mpg at 65 and about. we tow a small car and i drive between 60 - 65 and get close to 8 mpg. haven't driven vary far not towing anyhting so don't know how much that impacts fuel milage. the rig does run out of power on long grades though. the main problem i have if i run much above 65 is engine temp goes up.
__________________
rdy2trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: La Quinta California
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2trvl View Post
i have not done anything to the carb other than run some carb cleaner throught it and some gas treatment in the fuel tanks, i have changed all filters and fuel lines and put on a new fuel pump. mine also has the original manifolds wthi dual exhaust, hadn't thought about the X pipe.

i have all the original owners mauals for the rig and for fuel milage it says to expect 9 mpg at 60 mph and 6 mpg at 65 and about. we tow a small car and i drive between 60 - 65 and get close to 8 mpg. haven't driven vary far not towing anyhting so don't know how much that impacts fuel milage. the rig does run out of power on long grades though. the main problem i have if i run much above 65 is engine temp goes up.
The engine temp will rise as the need for increased timing comes into play....I would checkout the timing at various engine RPMs from idle to 3,000 RMs.

Jim
__________________
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 218
RDY, check out Jim's postings. he has some very valuable info. may be a good thing for you. i will be doing alot of the stuff he has talked about. even if i don't get better MPG, at least i'll have more power to get up those hill's and keep my temps down.

Outlaw
__________________
John & Colleen Weston & Cassie(our cat) -Olympia,WA
1978 GMC Midas Class A 30FT-454 Engine, 400 T
Outlaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: La Quinta California
Posts: 523
John, Thanks for the vote of confidence.

With 60+ years of building these creatures along with dyno times I better know what makes them run and run hard.

We run the big dog "Chebby's" ignitions at the 1/4 track between 36 & 40 but on our motor homes 32 seems to run the best (both without vacuum advance) since our foots are in them hard on some hills.

I hope all of you have the timing tab at the 4:30 position (drivers side) so the timing can be read off of #5 plug wire with ease.

Jim
__________________
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 218
so Jim, is the big dog the stock ignition just bumped up like you talk about. i haven't looked to see if my tab is at 4:30 or not. seems that would be better to get it timed from. thanks.

Outlaw
__________________
John & Colleen Weston & Cassie(our cat) -Olympia,WA
1978 GMC Midas Class A 30FT-454 Engine, 400 T
Outlaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: La Quinta California
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw45 View Post
so Jim, is the big dog the stock ignition just bumped up like you talk about. i haven't looked to see if my tab is at 4:30 or not. seems that would be better to get it timed from. thanks.

Outlaw
WE HAFTA MODIFY THE DISTRIBUTOR WITH WEIGHTS (041) AND A (375) center that will hand us a 22 mechanical advance, Those are stock GM componets by the way.....

Then you can advance the idle to 8 to 12 what ever your preference is, Main thing to remember is the vacuum advance must be cut back to 10 so you won't be over advancing while driving down the super slab.

Jim
__________________
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
ftv37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richland,Or
Posts: 101
Where do we get the centers and the weights

Thanks FTV37
__________________
ftv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: La Quinta California
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftv37 View Post
Where do we get the centers and the weights

Thanks FTV37
Start looking around in the salvage yards, When I get home and back to my base computer I can post the many configurations that can be used and the timing results produced......

Jim
__________________
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 218
thanks Jim for your help. i suppose we will have more ?'s as we get into this. i have read everything you have posted but get alittle confussed. i really don't understand the washer thing on the weights for one thing. thanks.

Outlaw
__________________
John & Colleen Weston & Cassie(our cat) -Olympia,WA
1978 GMC Midas Class A 30FT-454 Engine, 400 T
Outlaw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: La Quinta California
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw45 View Post
thanks Jim for your help. i suppose we will have more ?'s as we get into this. i have read everything you have posted but get alittle confussed. i really don't understand the washer thing on the weights for one thing. thanks.

Outlaw
Washer thing on the weights???????

No washers are added to the weights that I know of, Just the weights alone along with the proper center that pushes the weights out at various RPMs....

The different springs are what is the PITA and thats where a good "Sun" TIMING MACHINE eliminates the guess work......

I hafta duit the hard way since there is no machine in town or within 100 miles,,

Jim
__________________

__________________
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Trip Elkman Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 4 07-17-2009 06:59 AM
2007 Guided Fishing Trip FLYTYER iRV2.com International Rally 17 07-10-2007 12:30 PM
12 Day trip with 35J Y-Guy Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 04-24-2007 10:49 AM
Back from a long trip MyLife Southeast Region 1 10-21-2006 04:35 AM
Frequency of repairs; one item per trip?? smlranger Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 10 02-15-2006 08:53 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.