Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

fixing the franklin

well started rebuilding the franklin last week i'm building a complete new framework for it as it was very rotted it is amazing it didn't weigh more with the way it was built (lots of 3/4in plywood/particle board) going to put in a newer atwood furance and magnatec 45amp converter/charger plus a bigger dometic fridge all used of course still debating on the insulation type is toss up between two types of foam hope to get him done before spring

this is harder than thought
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
How about some pictures.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:19 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Do the smart thing, DO NOT put a magnajunk converter in. Go to http://www.bestconverter.com and get a PowerMax Boondocker 45amp unit.

Foil sided foam is what I used in place of the old bat insulation that was in my walls.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #4

i hope to post some pictures as sone as i get it figured out...i hope the converter isn't that bad i already bought it...i was thinking about the foil backed foam because of the higher r value i also need to find a larger blackwater tank as the standard one was mounted under the shower floor and only held about 8 gallons will need to hang it under the bottom and ad a skirt to it
Old 12-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Do the smart thing, DO NOT put a magnajunk converter in. Go to BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics and get a PowerMax Boondocker 45amp unit.

Foil sided foam is what I used in place of the old bat insulation that was in my walls.
I have the magnatek 7300 series installed sometime ago. It was an easy conversion. But now Im interested in the "Boondocker" Does it fit right in where the 7300 fits and everything hooks up the same or is it mounted somewhere else ? and wiring different.. Thanks I really need to know before I buy it. Anyone else have the boondocker ??
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #6

redneckexpress just did his upgrade need to look at his post with pictures. best i remember his was just out of warranty bet they gave him a new one
dave
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #7

i am getting a feeling that the 7345 i bought is not real great for the batteries.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #8

I've got the 7345 but since we dont dry camp. it keeps my two 12 v batt. charged ok. I hardly ever have to add water to the batteries.
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #9

i got mine because it has the power center mostly since i plan to boondock it will be nice to not have to rely on the batteries if i stay at a camp ground though...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I have the magnatek 7300 series installed sometime ago. It was an easy conversion. But now Im interested in the "Boondocker" Does it fit right in where the 7300 fits and everything hooks up the same or is it mounted somewhere else ? and wiring different.. Thanks I really need to know before I buy it. Anyone else have the boondocker ??
Depending on how big the space in the bottom of your existing power panel is, you should be able to pull the converter guts out of the bottom and tie the PowerMax Boondocker in in its place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
redneckexpress just did his upgrade need to look at his post with pictures. best i remember his was just out of warranty bet they gave him a new one
dave
The water pump was the out of warranty replacement, I bought the Powermax Boondocker after an extended conversation with Randy @ Best Converter, who is intimately familiar with his products. I do dry camp, regularly. The PowerMax Boondocker has been a great 3-stage converter/charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuilder View Post
i am getting a feeling that the 7345 i bought is not real great for the batteries.
They will boil them dry and cannot recharge a heavily drawn down battery worth a crud. At best you get 6amps on the battery side at the wrong voltage and if left plugged in for an extended period of time will boil the batteries dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
I've got the 7345 but since we dont dry camp. it keeps my two 12 v batt. charged ok. I hardly ever have to add water to the batteries.
You've been lucky, magnetek is one of the well known battery killers.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #11

i just posted some of the pics i have in the photo gallery haven't figured out how to get them from there to here will post some of the rot damage as soon as i take some
Old 01-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
how do i tell what kind of converter i have. i have an 81 midas 2000 class a on a p30 chassis
Lokahi117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #13

Lot's of good info here. I'm looking to upgrade my converter. I'm also taking all the old plywood off my bus and replacing it with foam board & fiberglass. Mine is all exterior and below the floor in the outside walls. I'm hoping to save some weight. My roof I already re-luaned and fiber glassed. I eliminated about 600 screw holes (leak points).
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokahi117 View Post
how do i tell what kind of converter i have. i have an 81 midas 2000 class a on a p30 chassis
Your power distribution panel, if your rig has one, should have the brand and model.

Odds are its a single stage battery boiler, almost all older rigs that could charge batteries at all had this.

The simplest solution is to locate the unit and replace it with a good 3-stage converter.

I personally prefer the PowerMax Boondocker from http://www.bestcoverter.com, its been a good converter thus far and done a fine job at keeping my new batteries fully charged without boiling them.

It's also good practice to replace the main feed wires from the batteries/converter with 4 gauge wire to remove as much voltage loss in the charging system as possible (If its not already 4 gauge).