Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Fleetwood Storm Engine troubles

1996 ford engine 460. Engine was not over normal hot and drove fine all day. All of a sudden spittering and sputtering, coasted to a stop. Left for a couple of hrs and started and ran fine. Any help finding the OBD-2 port?

monkeyman119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

On my '96 Southwind the ODBii port is under the dash, high up, just to left side of the steering column (as you sit in the seat looking at the wheel).
Naturally it's most easily seen when you're laying upside down on the seat with your head on the floor. (a position not as easy for me to get into as it was 40 years ago)

edit: when I say 'high up' I mean towards the steering wheel, not towards the firewall.

1996 Fleetwood Southwind 34'
Podivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

They need fuel, spark, and spin. Fuel filters of that vintage rig can do weird things, as can ignition stuff.
If it hasn't had a recent tune up I would suspect rotor, cap, coil.
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to check the stored codes (CM codes) to see if you have a bad PIP sensor or not.
So to do that you need to know if it is a California job or not. Let us know as there is a lot of differences between the two systems.

If it is not California then then your OBD-1 self-test connector is on the drivers side right behind the battery.

If it is a California job then it is OBD-II and is where Podivin said it is.
1995 COACHMEN Santara 350FL on a 1994 Ford F53
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
First I'd replace the fuel filter, then I would check the fuel pressure. then I'd check the spark between the coil and cap to help determine which system it is. Fuel delivery or spark delivery.
May your black water hose never break!
lonfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
Fleetwood storm engine troubles

Finally got the fuel filter replaced and is running fine. Then took it to storage and the engine light came on. So, will have to figure out what now.
Also, the OBD port was up on the right in a big box attached to the steering column. Actually got that info from Fleetwood. Didn't act up or show any codes so that's when I took to storage.
Another day I will attempt to take again to have it diagnosed.
Thanks everyone
monkeyman119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Autozone or O'rielly's may have a code reader that you can rent or borrow for free to read the codes.
May your black water hose never break!
lonfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Check engine light...likely related to O2 sensor.

1994 Southwind Storm 28ft 7.4L TBI P-30
52,2XX miles and counting...
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote

engine, fleetwood