Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:05 AM   #1

Hi all, I had a question regarding refinishing the floor in our older TT. I have finally removed ALL of the old flooring: two layers of lino, including floor tiles and the layers of felt the old lino left behind and some left over glue. I should be ready to put in new lino floor tiles before the weekend. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on any prep work I should be doing. I am worried about the spills on the floor and water getting through the hairline cracks between the tiles.
Should I be priming the wood before laying tiles? I thought briefly about putting an inexpensive laminate floor in but I think that would be too much finishing work for me.

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted!!

jen&john is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2005, 09:05 AM   #2

Hi all, I had a question regarding refinishing the floor in our older TT. I have finally removed ALL of the old flooring: two layers of lino, including floor tiles and the layers of felt the old lino left behind and some left over glue. I should be ready to put in new lino floor tiles before the weekend. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on any prep work I should be doing. I am worried about the spills on the floor and water getting through the hairline cracks between the tiles.
Should I be priming the wood before laying tiles? I thought briefly about putting an inexpensive laminate floor in but I think that would be too much finishing work for me.

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted!!

Old 08-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
On our '87 Airstream I just left the subfloor alone and used 12" sq carpet tiles. Not the stuff from Lowe's etc, but rather commercial grade stuff. The base is solid vinyl so no dirt goes to the sub floor and is easy to clean. Installed using double sided carpet tape. If one of the tiles gets stained, just pick it up (grab it with a pair of pliers) and replace it. Have not had to replace any as yet.

A lot easier than installing floating floors - you can run the carpet right up to the walls, etc. for a nice finished look. Use a utility knife (you know, the ones they don't allow on airplanes) to cut to fit.

Just one of many ideas --- I'm sure others will add to the thread here.

don
Old 08-08-2005, 10:31 PM   #4

....I use walk off carpet runners[3'-5']...winter time I can remove them and not have a moisture problem and in the summer If I get something like dog poop on them I can wash it off with a hose or soak it in the lake and hang it out to dry....tehy have a rubber backing but you can stillcut to fit and are about a $1.05 a sq
Old 10-06-2005, 06:33 AM   #5

Just wondered at this late date what how you proceeded with your flooring? Did you use the 12x12 lino squares? Did you prime the subfloor? When I did the floor in my TT I left the original floor in place and filled missing corners and indentations with a floor leveling mix, sanded smooth and laid my tiles right over the top. Lookin good after nine years.

Rose
RVinMeMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #6

Well, the floor is done and I have posted some pics today. I ended up using the vinyl peel and stick tiles and I think it turned out great. The hardest part was taking off all the old flooring and prepping the floor but I think the results were well worth it.