Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Florida to NY and back....

Well I just had to share my thrill. I just completed a vacation trip , myself and 3 kids ages 5,6 &8 ....What the hell was I thinkin'! Anyways, this trip was in my 90' Ultra by Gulfstream, 24fl. Class C. Excitement and anxiety at every turn! Didn't even make it 10miles from home when I needed to call AAA for a jump start....A few hundred miles north and the alternator goes....Luckily, the shop we were towed to was able to work on it right away, and the little munchin's were entertained with the stuff in the waiting area...An hour or so and we were on the road again. Encouragement form frantic calls by me to family members, offers to fund rental cars etc, and I decided to move ahead. First stop was not even out of Florida, but I was exhausted and the kids needed some entertainment; since we had no timetable, we stayed at The Flamingo KOA in Jacksonville. We got a great spot right on the lake and a café very close to us. The kids spent a couple of hours swimming and then pizza! Early AM and we headed north on I 95. Cutting across to I 77 and north to NY. My plan was to take the kids to Niagria Falls then east to Weedsport, NY for a family reunion. Slow going, and then rain from VA all the way through Ohio. Then started blowing fuses and the use of directional and taillights. Not sure what happened, but thinking it may be from the alternator replacement . More on that later. Attempted to do a boondock in a Walmart, but it was too hot and our gen would not stay running and no ac! Geez! Windows down, fan running and miserable crew..... Made it to NY and enjoyed the reunion...Everything worked great while on shore power...Return trip was fine and hit a couple more KOAs along the way....
Completely enjoyed our stay. Last leg of our return trip and that darned gen just wouldn't stay running, fuses kept blowing and no night driving! UGH! Limped home with the four ways flashing and a frustrated call to my RV guy. Gotta love the adventure. Oh yeah, and it seems my power steering fluid is leaking, and I used a pint during the journey...Gotta save some coin to get this baby back in top notch shape..... Still love it.

fireflymin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! Glad you made it home at all. Your adventure conjures up all sorts of memories from when my kids were young, but I digress. I'm sure you will get it all sorted out and as I'm sure you already realize you now have a "forever" memory that was shared with your kids.

They will pass this on and one day say, "Dad, remember all those years ago when we took that RV trip to NY?" And you will smile.

Hang in there, Best of Luck to You and thanks for sharing.

Mark & Haydee (pronounced Heidi)
2010 Allegro 38QBA "Alle"
2008 HD Ultra Classic
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Sounds like quite the adventure! You are a brave soul to take that journey with 3 small ones. When our 3 kids were that young, it made me nervous to just take them to the neighborhood McDonalds down the road! As time goes on, the frustrating part of that journey will fade and the fun parts will grow stronger. Good for you for creating those priceless memories!
'74 F350 44K,'79 11' Mitchell Camper, MINT All Original
'79 Mitchell 25' Class C, 460 46K, MINT All Original
'97 Rexhall Aerbus, 60K, 460, F53, MINT All Original
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
With all the farms in Weedsport you should have found a old farmer to fix that thing up for the ride home !

Seriously though I think its awesome you did this trip. When i was young I remember many camping trips with the parents in far from reliable vehicles and equipment. Regardless of where we went we had fun. I think it is part of what makes me enjoy camping still !

Enjoy little trips like that when you can. Glad is was fun for all even thru some small events and issues !
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
2009 JK
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Never without a few hiccups with these things right? PS, I'm right next door in Lakeland
JD and Lydia.
Proud owners of a $750 Craigslist find brought back from the dead.
1977 Winnebago Brave 26', restored, Rebuilt 440
Gecko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Funny you should say that; my family has a farm in Weedsport, which is why I did the road trip; family reunion. Yes, had a few of the mechanic types take a look at that gen, but not enough time to really get into it. All went well on return trip, it was just sooooo hot!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Hey neighbor! Thanks for your reply...Yeah, I expected some kind of problem, but since I had just replaced that alternator 3 years ago, that was the last thing I would have thought. Glad it all turned out good. And yes, plenty of memories. Don't think I'd do it again without the ac. The rest was tolerable.