RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

Ford E40D TC fails to lock up

I have just purchased a OBD1 code reader to begin diagnosing my 1997 F53 E40D transmission. I found the plug on top of the engine to the left side against the inner wall of the engine cover. My transmission now fails to shift to overdrive. It was locking up at 2200 rpm at 55 mph and now sits at 3000 rpm in top gear? After doing some reading I think I will start with checking out the shift sensor first. However I am definitely open to suggestions on where to start and what to diagnose from the outside of the transmission that might be the cause of this. Thanks

Magnafique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

You can get a O/H manual on that trans.....google it..

Old 12-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #3

Just bought one from Amazon, should be here Wednesday. Thanks
Old 12-28-2017, 12:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafique View Post
I have just purchased a OBD1 code reader to begin diagnosing my 1997 F53 E40D transmission. I found the plug on top of the engine to the left side against the inner wall of the engine cover. My transmission now fails to shift to overdrive. It was locking up at 2200 rpm at 55 mph and now sits at 3000 rpm in top gear? After doing some reading I think I will start with checking out the shift sensor first. However I am definitely open to suggestions on where to start and what to diagnose from the outside of the transmission that might be the cause of this. Thanks
I had the same transmission in my f-350 dually and if the throttle position sensor was out of wack it wouldn't shift right, it would slam into gear not shift at correct time etc. Have you touched the sensor or replaced it? You would need a multi meter to adjust it. Not sure if this is your issue but it might help narrow it down.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:15 AM   #5

Did you get this issue sorted out???

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #6

Not yet, I am waiting for my OBD1 code reader to arrive. I have located the plug. I have been doing quite a bit of reading from the new Manual on the EO4D transmission and they suggest there might be a problem with a number 2 solenoid. Trying to determine if that is accessible from the outside of the transmission. Also many troubleshoots refer to the manual gear lever switch. As soon as it stops raining here (Oregon Coast) I will raise the front of the motor-home and get some pictures of the transmission externally and familiarize myself with what I find. I only have about 400 miles on it and this issue just started. It sat for 5 years in storage.

Thanks much Tom
Old 12-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

No I haven't touched the sensor however the transmission seems to shift normally i.e.
soft but firm shifts. I will try to locate the TPS and check it out. Thanks Tom
Old 12-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnafique View Post
No I haven't touched the sensor however the transmission seems to shift normally i.e.
soft but firm shifts. I will try to locate the TPS and check it out. Thanks Tom
if you go to ford diesel forum and look up eo4d shifting issue. It will show you how to adjust tps sensor with a multi meter with engine off . hope it helps. It sounds like the same issue I had it would slam going into gear very hard shifting.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

Actually my problem is that the transmission stopped shifting into overdrive. The other shifts are normal. Thanks and Happy New Year to you and yours. Tom
Old 12-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #10

Google your problem...
Old 12-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #11

Oh I have googled it and bought a manual on the E04D and watched some videos on tear-down of an E04D. Waiting for arrival of my code reader to plug it in to see if I get any codes from the transmission. I think I will have the fluid changed and have the transmission flushed since it set for 5 years in open storage. The fluid is full and is the right color for good fluid?? Thanks and Happy New Year
Old 12-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #12

If you have OD issues, more than likely your torque converter is worn down as in the clutch pack is getting thin and they hydraulics can't quite get a good squeeze on them anymore. Perhaps you get the occasional red light flashing on the shifter lever. Kind of like when a clutch is worn down on a car, it all works but there isn't enough squeeze to keep it from slipping anymore. So that being said. The clutch discs that have worn down only means all of the "dust" is now floating in your fluid and possibly affecting shifting as well as valve body operation and so on. Were talking on a microscopic level here. But thats what kills a tranny besides heat. To have a E4OD or even a 4R100 rebuilt is only about $750. Anything larger than a pick up truck or full size van is quite a workout for a E4OD. They can wear out in 30k or 225k. Also at around $50/gallon nowadays and you need 4 gallons and a filter kit. Your looking at $250 in stuff to "hope" it works and when it doesn't its a huge waste of money. You can but you really shouldn't reuse it for the fact that its going to be full of contaminates from the original failure. Just sayin'. And on the other hand, I assume you already thought about all of this stuff.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #13

Well I think I found my problem. When I started the coach yesterday the check engine light was ON. It has never come on before in the short five months that I have owned it. I raised my motorhome and put jack stands under it and left the jacks down on four pieces of 6 in thick wood. I found the manual shift lever sensor and pulled it apart cleaned it and shot it with some electrical spray. Pulled a couple other sensors on the E40D and cleaned them. I started the engine and the check engine light was still illuminated so I looked on top of the engine under the cover and found a vacuum line unplugged. I put it back in place, started the engine and took it for a test drive. Lo and behold it shifted into all four gears. However my stock tach appears to be reading high on the rpm. My friend and I are going to check the tach with a corrected tachometer that takes the rpm reading directly from the crankshaft pulley and compare. My tach was showing 3000 rpm at 55 mph and today it settled down to 2800 rpm at 55 rpm. It should be showing 2200 rpm at 55 mph which is max torque of 400 lb ft on my old 460. Because the tach was reading 1600 rpm idle when I replaced the disconnected vacuum line it corrected the idle to 1200 rpm which still sounds too high. The engine just isn't idling that fast so I think I have a bum tach and the corrected tach will tell the tail. Anyway I am stoked that my transmission is shifting correctly now. Thanks for staying with me on this one all of you. Tom
Old 01-03-2018, 06:35 PM   #14

Glad to hear it was only a vacuum line, could have been worse.

Happy New year.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford