Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ford F53 chassis starting issue

I have been having issues with starting my class A I keep having to use the house batteries to start it. I took the chassis battery in they see the battery still good but just needs recharging but even though they recharged it it's still not enough juice to start it up. at the same time when the started happening anytime I closed the driver's door there's a sound in the video there's this constant clicking sounds coming from the dash it's not the turn signal or the hazard lights. Some of my primary research suggests it could be some weird battery controller that goes between the house batteries that chassis batteries any help from anyone would be appreciated.
Attached Files
nc77089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year is this? What motor home is it?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i apologize its a 1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32CG. After some more investigating its from the dash dimmer switch we go all the way up it turns on the overhead map light on clicking stops. But then the light on all the time would suck the battery dry. Turn the switch all the way down to off it starts clicking even with the door closed draining the battery.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume the dash dimmer is part of the headlight switch assembly. Try unplugging the entire headlight switch assembly. When you hear the clicking, is the entry light (map light) coming on and off???

Here is a diagram of the interior lamps (This is the Ford chassis portion )

http://2001mirada.com/DOWNLOAD/E1I08901.pdf

Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After making my last post I went back out and when I pulled the lightbulb out of that overhead map light the clicking instantly stopped. so that issues been solved but it hasn't solved a larger issue with a possible battery problem trying to start the motorhome. I have pulled the chassis battery took it and have it tested at Advance Auto they said it only need a recharge I had them to a quick recharge on it got it back in the motorhome and still not enough power to start. To complicate that starting issue even more it has one of those magic start starter interrupters.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does it seem to be ranking at a normal speed??.. When did it start doing this??

verify the voltage at the starter. double check the grounds coming from the chassis battery.. You could have a bad starter.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not believe you have a starter problem. Why would it not start on chassis batteries and will stert on house batteries? It sounds like you have a problem with the battery cables. Check and clean both hot and ground cables.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I do not believe you have a starter problem. Why would it not start on chassis batteries and will stert on house batteries? It sounds like you have a problem with the battery cables. Check and clean both hot and ground cables.
That was it, it needs a new terminal connection. Started right up thanks for all the helpful input.

Tags
chassis, f53, ford