Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #1

Frame and skin?

While I can't do it at the moment I am doing research. Has anyone here ever replaced the old woof framing with aluminium studs? ( I have a friend to help me do the welding) I want to keep my 1966 around for a bit and this way it won't rot. Also How does the outer skin attach at roof seems and such?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Our teardrop has an all aluminum frame and is covered using a Filon skin. One of my concerns was rot but unless you build with aluminum to begin with attaching it to steel frames is difficult because any aluminum to steel connection means galvanic action with out isolating them from each other. The best way to prevent rot is to make sure it does not get wet, ever.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #3

The best way to keep it around a bit is to keep it waterproof!

I think once you figure out what kind of project you're talking about you'll see it might be easier to scratch build a new one?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post

I think once you figure out what kind of project you're talking about you'll see it might be easier to scratch build a new one?
X2 !!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:

The camper portion is most likely gonna be a new rebuild, However the truck I am keeping. I want it to retain the classic look, but upgrade to newer amenities and keep weight down
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
X3. You can use the original skin over a new frame and make it total modern.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
X3. You can use the original skin over a new frame and make it total modern.
Parts of the original skin are filled with little pin holes. I had originally thought of using automotive undercoating on the inside and a white bedliner on the outside to solve this issue.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #8

Most all of that old skin is still available (exact match). You'll need to find a good dealer that knows what they're doing to get it though.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #9

Making skin waterproof

Here is what we did to make our fiberglass waterproof when we repaired extensive water wall damage. Purchase 3M two part epoxy at Autozone or a specialized auto paint store. Put this on the interior fiberglass with a old paint brush. Use an industrial respirator and open every vent and window. It dries to a hard waterproof finish. It takes several days for the smell to disappear. Price out new fiberglass panels vs the cost for doing this. We have had no leaks since doing this several years ago. This is what the factory would have done to restore and waterproof. Best of luck with your repairs.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Most all of that old skin is still available (exact match). You'll need to find a good dealer that knows what they're doing to get it though.
I want to keep the sides original, but I am going to go with a thicker gauge on all of the front facing portions and roof to prevent those pesky rocks(gravel) and other small misc. objects from causing pin holes. It won't bother me that it's not an exact match if it works better and last longer. almost all of my camping is boondocking and dirt roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Here is what we did to make our fiberglass waterproof when we repaired extensive water wall damage. Purchase 3M two part epoxy at Autozone or a specialized auto paint store. Put this on the interior fiberglass with a old paint brush. Use an industrial respirator and open every vent and window. It dries to a hard waterproof finish. It takes several days for the smell to disappear. Price out new fiberglass panels vs the cost for doing this. We have had no leaks since doing this several years ago. This is what the factory would have done to restore and waterproof. Best of luck with your repairs.
I like that idea, there are spots that I will fiberglass for strength (joints and such. Like boat building). I appreciate the thought, I may look into that option a bit more!