Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
frame mounted propane tank

Hi all ...I am the latest owner of a 87 Itasca 31 foot motorhome and cleaning up the strange and weird repairs and such ..latest problem is trying to replace the propane tank ..mine is gone ..I see listing for 20 and 30 pound tanks for 800 to 1300 bucks ..but useing a 30 pounder on a whip only lasts 5 or 6 days..mostly furnace use..I know it wont cut it when we start boondocking ..what is the better size ? has anyone upgraded their tank ?? will a 40 work or ?? what is the largest I can mount under there ??..I had thought of a fork lift tank ..160.00 for a new horizontal ..a lot better price but to small I think ..your view ? and manchester tanks ..still pricey at 600 plus ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

From the size and price you quoteing , I think your confusing Lbs capacity and gal. USA sizing and LPG sales are in gallons,
A 20 lb. propane BBQ type bottle, is 5 gal, 30 lb. TT size is 7 gal.
My coach has a 32 gal liquid capacity. 28gal lpg tank. I get about 2 months of furnace and cooking use before re-fill is required. In the south with temps down to freezing.
Have you looked into recertifying the tank ??

Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #3

My 28ft'r has a 92 lb horizontal tank (TW). 23g minus 20 percent. 14in by about 30in. Listed as a 20 gal tank.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
thank's for the reply's ,,,and I have no tank ..the previous owner removed it for what ever reason ..so I have no understanding of what should be there .the rv place here has been no help ...let's be honest they make money on new equipment not leftovers..so ...now i am looking here for information and directions to enjoy some time with my gran daughters ..so I gotta fix this thing and learn fast !!! 92 gallon makes a lot more sense..
Old 03-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjh View Post
thank's for the reply's ,,,and I have no tank ..the previous owner removed it for what ever reason ..so I have no understanding of what should be there .the rv place here has been no help ...let's be honest they make money on new equipment not leftovers..so ...now i am looking here for information and directions to enjoy some time with my gran daughters ..so I gotta fix this thing and learn fast !!! 92 gallon makes a lot more sense..
If you're referring to my post, it's 92 LB tank (Tare wt)
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you checked the local propane dealers instead of RV dealers? Don't know if tanks would be any cheaper but quite often the parts are.

But before I lay down any money on a new tank, check the gas lines carefully. There may have been a reason the previous owner took the tank off or maybe it was just a victim of old age.

Bill W
Old 03-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #7

Measure your space. Then google horizontal propane tanks for sale. You probably need a top mount and there's lot's of (expensive) options.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to TeddyTrout
I just purchased a 1976 GMC Vandura Jamboree model 23 foot. It has a Manford horizontal tank under the frame. The main valve leaks when in the off position but is ok when the valve is open pressurising the appliances, So I'm Told. We had the MH safety yesterday and it was passed with no work required. but the mechanic closed the valve so tight I can't turn it to open it. I have no idea if there is any propane in the tank. I tried looking around for a gas station that refills these types of tanks but did not find any place as the fitting is different. I guess I need to find a manford tank dealer to get a new valve. Has anyone ever made a adapter hose with the two different size fittings to go from a 20lb bbq tank to the larger tank that you can refill the tank manually when you can't find a refill station?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Usually the valves are an interference fit needle valve, if closed too tight, it ruins them. I don't let anyone touch them for the reason you found.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank