Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We got our motorhome for free. It was stripped of everything of value in it when we got it but it only had 57,000 miles on it, the roof didn't leak, and the inside was pristine except for some condensation damage to the ceiling (which we are fixing).

So far, we have spent $452 on the generator and slide mounts (that's a great story if anyone wants to hear it), $567 on a new water heater, $220 on a new toilet, $1265 on a new converter, transfer switch, wiring and the installation, and we're about to spend another $2000 on a refrigerator this week.

So for $4500 we have what amounts to a new motorhome. Sure there are things that we still need to work on here and there but this coach is a gem now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39960578-E539-42D8-AA73-8B722F3CE697.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	219646  
Kalispell, Montana
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #44

It's looking great, and you have equity. Which is far more than most people can say about their own.

I appreciate the fact that you brought it back into service, a great older coach with plenty of life left. So many just get left to rot into oblivion.

Enjoy the RV and be proud of the work that went into it.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwind96 View Post
Free to start, so how much is completely ready to go MH? here is one similar to mine over 20k...https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvd/d...699208573.html
I am sure you can find many examples of over priced MH on the internet to base a comparison. Since there were no interior pictures in your example it is hard to tell about the quality of the interior.

Our '96 HR was $9k going down the road. I found some real moldy MH until before I could present something to my wife to live in.

Again do not get a MH with a bad roof.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Yes, save those for me. I will rip them down to the frame and rebuild it better than new...
If that is what you like to do, go for it.

Just for the record there is no shortage of old MH with leaking roofs.

There is also no shortage of old things that needs some TLC. I have an old Mallard TT that is used by the family for short trips, a '95 Del Sol for a TOAD, and a 40 year old sailboat.

Plenty of RV project that that do not belong in a scrap yard.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #47

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
I have friens who just hit the road after a 2 yr total redo of and older HM top to buttom. Then i asked about the drive train 3 days later the rear end went got it fixed back on the road 4 days later motor went pop. Long story short if you are goingto do it do it all theway....my friend is picking up a truck and 5er on friday.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwind96 View Post
Free to start, so how much is completely ready to go MH? here is one similar to mine over 20k...https://spokane.craigslist.org/rvd/d...699208573.html

I would have never seen followingsea's reply to you, had you not quoted him, because I have him blocked. That guy is one of the most negative people I've ever come across on a forum. We bought our Monaco for $600 and have about $20,000 in it total. The last Class C that Monaco made was around 2012 and they're about 1.5' longer than ours....still selling for $48,000. Ours may be an old chassis, but the interior and mechanical has been completely redone.

We picked the fabric, the carpet and the vinyl, and the best part is that it doesn't smell like a retirement home, like most of the more expensive rigs we looked at, when you walk in. If I had to do it all over again, you can bet I would, because the best part is the satisfaction that I did the majority of the work, and you can't put a price on that.
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
I would have never seen followingsea's reply to you, had you not quoted him, because I have him blocked. That guy is one of the most negative people I've ever come across on a forum. We bought our Monaco for $600 and have about $20,000 in it total. The last Class C that Monaco made was around 2012 and they're about 1.5' longer than ours....still selling for $48,000. Ours may be an old chassis, but the interior and mechanical has been completely redone.

We picked the fabric, the carpet and the vinyl, and the best part is that it doesn't smell like a retirement home, like most of the more expensive rigs we looked at, when you walk in. If I had to do it all over again, you can bet I would, because the best part is the satisfaction that I did the majority of the work, and you can't put a price on that.
So true
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
I have friens who just hit the road after a 2 yr total redo of and older HM top to buttom. Then i asked about the drive train 3 days later the rear end went got it fixed back on the road 4 days later motor went pop. Long story short if you are goingto do it do it all theway....my friend is picking up a truck and 5er on friday.

So in the end it wasn't really a total redo. Our goal with the Monaco was to make sure that absolutely everything was either functional or redone, before we take our first long trip. We bought it in 2016 and started the resto in 2017. As of this year it moves under its own power, so we took it on a day trip to Lucky Peak Reservoir and had a picnic....It ran like a champ, but the trip served to confirm that replacing the entire suspension, front to back, is the first thing I'm doing next year.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 AM   #51

This...yes

Quote:
If I had to do it all over again, you can bet I would, because the best part is the satisfaction that I did the majority of the work, and you can't put a price on that.
Yep, when you tear one all the way down and build it back yourself, it's a whole different ballgame. It's your hard work that gave you what you have.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #52

Quote:
So in the end it wasn't really a total redo. Our goal with the Monaco was to make sure that absolutely everything was either functional or redone, before we take our first long trip. We bought it in 2016 and started the resto in 2017. As of this year it moves under its own power, so we took it on a day trip to Lucky Peak Reservoir and had a picnic....It ran like a champ, but the trip served to confirm that replacing the entire suspension, front to back, is the first thing I'm doing next year.
Correct it was not and i guess i got off track. The point i was goung to make was make if you do it to it all the way. My bad
Old 09-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #53

Quote:
I would have never seen followingsea's reply to you, had you not quoted him, because I have him blocked. That guy is one of the most negative people I've ever come across on a forum.
Since you blocked me you missed all the mechanical and electrical help that I have provided. Also the discussions on traveling safely with a granddaughter.

I would see how some might consider a different opinion negative. What is the point of agreeing with some. Of course there are others readers that might be interested.

I get a great deal of satisfaction of living full time in the old MH and sailing my old boat. I do not get a lot of satisfaction spend money on them.

Back to the discussion of restoring a severely water damaged anything, run don't walk away.

If you are in your backyard working on a RV project you are missing the RV experience. DW comment on how nice the remodel jobs looked in our last house. She asked why I did not do more to our house in Washington State.

Easy answer, I'd rather be sailing.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post

Back to the discussion of restoring a severely water damaged anything, run don't walk away.

If you are in your backyard working on a RV project you are missing the RV experience. DW comment on how nice the remodel jobs looked in our last house. She asked why I did not do more to our house in Washington State.

Easy answer, I'd rather be sailing.
To each their own as we go home
to other realms, our souls must roam
to and through this myth that we all call space and time.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Love it!
southwind96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Sturgill Simpson is a great artist.