Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
fridge freezing

ok, i need some help from the experts. i have a magic chef model-R86 in my 1978 gmc midas class A. Ole' Koot. when we were living in it, it would freeze up. the temps in the freezer was ok but the fridge would freeze too. i now need to fix this problem. the MH sat for 10 yrs. i didn't try the propane side as i know it works ok, just didn't use it, only shore power. soooo, does anyone have any idea what i need to do?

thanks for all your help.

Outlaw
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What do you mean, exactly?

Is it building up excessive frost, and you have to defrost it frequently?

Frost is normal to an extent, both inside the freezer and on the fins in the fridge; the coolant is freezing the moisture that's in the air, or coming from the foods you put inside.

First I would check the gasket around the doors; if this is stiff instead of supple, it may not be sealing correctly, letting moist air inside.

You can replace this (expensive) or possibly augment with foam window weatherstripping.

Next, make or buy a tiny 12 v fan to blow on the cooling fins inside the fridge; this will help with the air circulation and keep your food at a more even temperature as well. There are pictures and discussion on this thread

Look for the tiny clip on a wire that is attached to your cooling fins inside the fridge box; that the thermistor. Try moving it lower on the fin or to the next fin to the right, and see if that changes the temperature and helps with frosting.

Putting some 12 v fans in the fridge's chimney stack will help the fridge efficiency by moving air more quickly past the hot coils; they can either blow up at the bottom or exhaust from the fridge vent on the roof. We installed 3 12v computer fans just under the vent cap.

Make sure you spend the minimum amount of time with the doors open; no standing and saying "Hmmm, what do I want to eat???". This makes a big difference in these tiny fridges.

Try to put only cold, dry food in your refrigerator. Let hot foods cool to room temperature first and get cold food back in the fridge quickly.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Or do you mean the fridge part is freezing your food?

If that's the case, first check the temps in the freezer with a freezer thermometer (you want them to stay at 0 degrees to 10 degrees ideally), and then raise the temperature on the dial in your fridge. Install the air-circulating fans inside the fridge as discussed in the previous post. This should even out the temps inside the box so you no longer have cold spots.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
my food is freezing. i adjusted my controls and that doen't work. since this has sat for 10 yrs. maybe the coolent is bad. the controls don't seem to work. the condenser maybe bad? i don't know. is there away to check all this? if it's too much trouble or the cost is to much, i'll go buy a new all electric apt. size one. any help on this would be nice. thank you for the fan ideas.

Outlaw
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If its cold the your cooling unit is GOOD. While the warmer/cooler controls may be faulty, a fridge will fail by not cooling.

Can you locate the thermister (little clip on a wire) on the fins inside the fridge? Put a thermometer inside and check the temp, then move the thermistor UP or to the right.

Check the temperature in 8 hours and see if its gone up or down, or no change. Mess with that for a while and see if you can get it warmer that way.

I doubt if you can find original parts, but you should be able to replace the warmer/cooler switch with one from another (older) fridge.

Do you have a light in the fridge? You could jumper around the door switch to keep the light on all the time- add a little heat that way.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
thanks chief. i was at the MH today playing with it. didn't turn it on. no electric hook up where i have it. i was playing with the temp setting dial and i would turn it then take off the knob and see what possition it was. well it was in the same position. i looked at the knob and there was not a flat side to turn the control. i pulled off the gas control and put in on the elect side and now it turns. dang, 2 1/2 month with a frozen fridge. i was on max. so now when i bring him home in aug. i'll hook him up to some electrics and see if that is the cause. ya think? lol. thanks for your help.

Outllaw
Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #7

A failed thermistor will make the fridge run continuously. Mine froze everything this past winter and the thermistor was the problem.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
i'll check the thermistor if it keeps doing it. but since i wasn't turning the controls at all and it was set on max, i think or at least hope that is the problem. thanks

Outlaw
Old 07-02-2011, 05:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw45 View Post
i'll check the thermistor if it keeps doing it. but since i wasn't turning the controls at all and it was set on max, i think or at least hope that is the problem. thanks

Outlaw
I'm guessing with the age of this coach you have a mechanical t-stat. No thermistor. A mechanical uses a capillary tube. No matter though. That's not going to change the fact your knob is stripped! Best of luck when you get it home.

Tags
fridge