Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #1

From vintage RV to full service barbershop on wheels

Hey y'all, I've been enjoying the convo and feedback in the forums. I seen some really smart ideas in posts. Waaay more knowledge than I have. Has anyone ever converted an RV to a mobile business? If so, where'd you start and how did you set up your power source to handle full time use? Where did you get blueprints? How long did it take? I wanna have the project done in 6-7 months if possible. Any ideas? Pics are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131004_002229.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	747.3 KB
ID:	47188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131004_002819.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	803.4 KB
ID:	47189  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131004_002317.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	953.5 KB
ID:	47190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131004_002700.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	47191  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This was just done on "Rock My RV" on Travel channel.
Rolling Barbershop Dream Video : Rock My RV With Bret Michaels : Travel Channel

I would think that it would be a great business option.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Thanks Scarab0088. I've never seen this show. I'll search for the full episode.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh yeah! Have ya seen the show " Breaking Bad"?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Oh yeah! Have ya seen the show " Breaking Bad"?
Walter White's mobile business was quite lucrative.......and a little dangerous.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

On a serious note, it's not hard to do. For your power needs I would suggest a quiet generator large enough to run a hair dryer and the A/C at the same time (3000 watts). If you want keep your clients coming back they will need to be comfortable. Colder months you will need the furnace to keep them comfortable. To save on fuel cost during the winter you could use an inverter. That would limit the amount the generator would need to run. For simplicity in your daily operations you could get a automatic control unit to start the generator when the battery voltage drops too low, so you can keep you focus on your clients. I would try to use to the bedroom area for the actual working area and use the current living area for a waiting room. I would also keep the refrigerator, so you can offer your clients something to drink. Never overlook the customer service aspect of the business.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #7

RhK I've seen one episode of Breaking Bad. Winnebeater, thanks for the suggestions. An inverter is in my plan and a 5000 Watt generator. I was told to use 2 12volts to power the camper portion since I will be running electrical equipment all day while I'm parked and cutting. I'm searching for a plumber, contractor, and electrician with RV experience so I can make it run as efficiently as possible.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #8

Make sure to install lots of 12v florescent lighting. Mount the fixtures where the roof and wall meets. I had a mobile business a while back and I was running a Honda EV6000 for my generator, but it was way to loud for my comfort. I installed a 250 amp alternator, 4 large 12v marine deep cycles and a 1800 true sine inverter. I also had 15 4 foot 12v florescent fixtures. I was running 2 computers, printer, dvd player and plugging in various items for demonstrations. Both computers had online access; one for me and one was a terminal for my clients.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaslee View Post
RhK I've seen one episode of Breaking Bad.
If it was the first episode that's all you needed to see, lol.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallaslee View Post
Hey y'all, I've been enjoying the convo and feedback in the forums. I seen some really smart ideas in posts. Waaay more knowledge than I have. Has anyone ever converted an RV to a mobile business? If so, where'd you start and how did you set up your power source to handle full time use? Where did you get blueprints? How long did it take? I wanna have the project done in 6-7 months if possible. Any ideas? Pics are attached.
I don't think you'll find 'blueprints' for such a project. Measure available space and draw up your own plans. Lay it out on garage floor if you like. Keep the features you'll use, bathroom, refrigerator, etc. Remove things you don't need, dinette, beds, seats, etc. By the way, I think a Class A would be more roomy and easier to convert for such a project, what will you use the overhead bunk space for?...storage? Class A also probably already has generator installed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

Two women set up a mobile barbershop in the parking lot of an office complex near me. I filed complaints because they had no business permit from the township nor was the "shop" licensed by the state.

My barbershop was fully licensed (expensive) and was subject to random sanitary inspections. I took days off, hired an attorney and pursued the matter fully. Result, a regulation about gypsy cosmetologists (no more barbers in NJ) and a fine from the township.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebeater View Post
Make sure to install lots of 12v florescent lighting. Mount the fixtures where the roof and wall meets. I had a mobile business a while back and I was running a Honda EV6000 for my generator, but it was way to loud for my comfort. I installed a 250 amp alternator, 4 large 12v marine deep cycles and a 1800 true sine inverter. I also had 15 4 foot 12v florescent fixtures. I was running 2 computers, printer, dvd player and plugging in various items for demonstrations. Both computers had online access; one for me and one was a terminal for my clients.
How often did you use the unit? The Honda generator is what everybody has been recommending for power a silence. I think that may be what I'll look for since you ran a mobile business with it. The lighting will have to be 12v florescent ceiling but I want to use some side lighting as well along the sides of the station. It'll be a single station unit for now. I'm looking to upgrade the alternator so thanks for the insight on that and I'll have to configure the space to handle 4 deep cycles. I'm not sure what the 1800 true sine inverter is but I'll research it. Did you do the work yourself?
Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #13

I did not do the work myself. It was a mobile tool sales business and I purchased the truck almost ready to go. It had the shelving, wall cover and lighting that fit that nature of business (retail sales). The truck also already had the generator installed. I added the alternator and two extra batteries to handle the extra electrical load that I placed in the system. I also added the computers, displays, dvd player, etc. As for usage; I was is that truck 14-16 hours a day, five days a week for five years. I also installed a refrigerator, so I could offer cold water to my clients, big success on the real hot days. My was a licensed business. Have you considered what the previous poster commented on? The field of work I am in now, we can not have a mobile operation. That is because the state has to have physical locations to do inspections. It is probably worth looking into.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Two women set up a mobile barbershop in the parking lot of an office complex near me. I filed complaints because they had no business permit from the township nor was the "shop" licensed by the state.

My barbershop was fully licensed (expensive) and was subject to random sanitary inspections. I took days off, hired an attorney and pursued the matter fully. Result, a regulation about gypsy cosmetologists (no more barbers in NJ) and a fine from the township.
Ummm Mick, I'm not sure what this had to do with my situation but thanks for sharing. I'm licensed in 2 states and permitted throughout the state of Texas as a mobile unit. I got tired of paying booth rent so I bought my own building so to speak lol

Tags
service, vintage