Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod33 View Post
Is the Oil just a 75-90 Gear Oil?
Rod33
I use Lucas Hub Oil:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lu...FZOCaQod8M0L2A
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #16

Because it really wasn't a failure! It was a warning! If it was a seal failure your brakes would have been soaked with oil and you would have smelled the nasty stuff way before it failed and messed up a spindle, jeez how many times have you been under that rig in 28 years? I went under my trucks every week and if I saw something weeping I fixed it as here in the states they like to steal your money before you make it, putting you out of service and making you pay some ripooff artist to fix your truck before you can move at 5-6 times the cost of fixing it yourself! I'll never forget the Moron DOT inspector that put me out of service with my old White 7400 tractor in New London, Connecticut with an air leak in the brakes, the truck had wedge brakes so you couldn't see them move. I pulled around back , pulled the line off and put a dime in the line and tightened it up , as I didn't have a new $9.00 rubber diaphragm. He came out and didn't hear any air leak and congratulated me on being such a good mechanic as he handed me my $145.00 ticket, when I made it to Boston I bought the rubber diaphragm and fixed it right! That is one of the reasons I gave up trucking as a career!Bobby

Old 01-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Because it really wasn't a failure! It was a warning! If it was a seal failure your brakes would have been soaked with oil and you would have smelled the nasty stuff way before it failed and messed up a spindle, jeez how many times have you been under that rig in 28 years? I went under my trucks every week and if I saw something weeping I fixed it as here in the states they like to steal your money before you make it, putting you out of service and making you pay some ripooff artist to fix your truck before you can move at 5-6 times the cost of fixing it yourself! I'll never forget the Moron DOT inspector that put me out of service with my old White 7400 tractor in New London, Connecticut with an air leak in the brakes, the truck had wedge brakes so you couldn't see them move. I pulled around back , pulled the line off and put a dime in the line and tightened it up , as I didn't have a new $9.00 rubber diaphragm. He came out and didn't hear any air leak and congratulated me on being such a good mechanic as he handed me my $145.00 ticket, when I made it to Boston I bought the rubber diaphragm and fixed it right! That is one of the reasons I gave up trucking as a career!Bobby
he probably hasn't had that rig for 28 years
Old 01-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
he probably hasn't had that rig for 28 years
True Deano,
I've had this unit in Australia for less than 2 Years and travelled about 5,000 Miles.

Although harder to find, I have been able to source the Lucas Hub Oil here. $16.50 AUD for 32 fl oz (946 ml).

I'm going to pull the other Hub off (US Driver's Side, now our Passenger Side) and inspect the bearings.
I have a feeling that perhaps the first side (US Passenger side) leaked because the Spindle was replaced with one to accommodate the Drag Link during the Right Hand Drive conversion and perhaps the Seal was old or damaged when they did the Spindle change.

The US Driver's Side Spindle hasn't been removed and isn't leaking so I'll do an inspection and clean and if the Bearings are good, just put in the Lucas Hub Oil as suggested earlier.
Thanks again for all you help guys.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:17 PM   #19

Does your ac work well since you are heading to the outback?
Old 01-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
Does your ac work well since you are heading to the outback?
Yes mate,
Dash Air and the 2 Roof Air Cons work. I've heard some people run their Generators whilst driving so they can run their Roof Air Cons. Not sure if I'm game to do that.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod33 View Post
Yes mate,
Dash Air and the 2 Roof Air Cons work. I've heard some people run their Generators whilst driving so they can run their Roof Air Cons. Not sure if I'm game to do that.
Our dash air has never worked since I purchased it 3 years ago so, I have run the gen and roof airs a few time. We have never ventured out to far yet, maybe when I get finished with painting this year
Old 01-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would you want to change to grease. It's is not as good at lubrication as Oil is and if/when the rear sea on the wheel fails, (Which by the way is what happened to you) you get the same grease all over everything you got now. Far better to stick with the wet hub.