Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fuel filter in, still no gas

Ok, we got the fuel filter in, still not getting any gas to the engine. Next is a fuel pump. I did notice this:

This is attached to the fuel line, I need to know what it is and the name of it so I can get it replaced. It's some kind of bellows type thing around a spring. Also, my son, who is NOT a mechanic at all, started taking this off thinking it was the fuel filter. It has two wires coming off it, anyone know what it is?
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Are there any wires attached to it? If there are it may be a in-line fuel pump. If there are no wires to it could be another in-line fuel filter
greggholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggholmes View Post
Are there any wires attached to it? If there are it may be a in-line fuel pump. If there are no wires to it could be another in-line fuel filter
There are wires attached to it. Did a 1979 Dodge have an inline fuel pump right off the gas tank, well before the fuel filter?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The first photo looks to be a vacuum/fuel vapor canister. second is definitely an electric fuel pump and looks to be a add-on and not factory. Probably due to vapor lock troubles.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Why would they put in a fuel pump before a fuel filter? That makes no sense to me. Ok, that failing could be why I was having all the problems with the cutting out and hesitation I was getting. And why I'm not getting any fuel to the engine.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

The first picture is the vacuum solinoid for Perfect Circle Cruise Control. Yours is toast and there are no repair parts available (No longer supported). It is attached to the throttle arm on the carb (center right in first picture below) . A stock Dodge did not have an electric fuel pump. It was added on by a PO. If the one there is not working. Make sure it is getting 12VDC when the ignition switch is ON. If still does not work then you will have to replace it with one that only provides 4 - 7 PSI (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Mr-Gasket-4-to-7-PSI-35-GPH-electric-fuel-pump-for-domestic-carburetors/_/N-25jp?counter=10&filterByKeyWord=Mr.+gasket+electri c+fuel+pump&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=73203 5_0_0__).
There are other pumps available just make sure the PSI range is correct. The 2 -3 PSI is for a generator. The ones greater than 7-8 PSI are for fuel incjection and will push the carburator fuel inlet needle valve of it's seat flooding the carb/engine. You would have to use a pressure regulator with larger PSI models to reduce the pressure back to 4-7 PSI.

If you want cruise control, you will have to upgrade to a new style aftermarket system.

Dave

Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you ever so much, Dave. I am so lucky you know this stuff, I have no clue. Thanks for letting me pick your brain. Dang, no cruise control, that's sad. I'll have to have another put in eventually. And I will check out if the fuel pump is getting juice. Guess I'll have to go buy a meter to do that.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #8

Does the pump vibrate when the key is ON? You can also disconnect the output and let it pump into a empty gas can. Is the tank select switch in the correct position?

Dave
Old 09-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Lift pumps are commonly before the fuel filter on Dodge's, my pickup truck came stock that way, filters on the output end of the pump, there's a screen sock in the tank that keeps the pump from sucking up larger sediment.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #10

Electric fuel pumps are designed to push fuel, not suck it through a partially dirty filter. The closer to the tank you can get it the better it will function.
ToofastCR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToofastCR500 View Post
Electric fuel pumps are designed to push fuel, not suck it through a partially dirty filter. The closer to the tank you can get it the better it will function.
Ok, I didn't know that. Thank you. It's much too wet to go out today, rained all night, so tomorrow I will get a volt meter and go check to see if it is getting power. If it is, I guess I will have to replace it. If not, I will see if the power wire got fried or crimped or something. And check to make sure the ground is actually grounded.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, next question. lol I got a new in-line fuel pump. It's all new and shiny. It came with something that attaches to the back end of it. have no idea what the thing that attaches to it is called. Maybe a check valve? And it says for the warranty, I must install another fuel filter on the inlet side.

It's the littler piece with the two yellow end pieces I don't know the name of.
So, with the tag along piece and the new fuel filter, it's going to be a lot longer than what was in there. I will have to probably trim back the fuel hoses some to make it fit.

EDA: Oh, I am also the proud new owner of a volt meter, too.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #13

The small piece is a fuel filter. What is the Brand & P/N of the fuel pump you bought? Do you know the PSI rating? A carburator cannot use fuel pumps that are greater than say 7 or 8 PSI.

Dave
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like the other stated the first pic was a crusie contol actuator and the second is a inline fuel pump.
When you get this thing running I'm sure you are gonna use up a few fuel filters.
By the way that fuel filter you got with your new pump. It looks to be the same as most common one used on carbed ford cars/pickups from 1965-1982. it might save you money on replacments if so. check it out.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas