Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #1

Fuel gauge not working

Hey all looking for some help!! I have a 1990 class c with an e350 chassis. As I was pulling away from the previous owners driveway is when the told me the gas gauge didn't work 😡 I didn't think to much of it because I am a religious ford owner and have had to replace a sending unit or 2 on previous F series trucks I have owned with out any problems. Much to my surprise when going to my parts store to buy a new sending unit no one can figure out what sending unit to give me. It's a single midship tank Does anyone have any advice on a code or a source to accurately buy this sending unit? I would drop the tank at cross reference the part but I only have my work space available on weekends and do not have time to wait for parts. Thanks you in advance for the help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #2

Did you go to a Ford truck dealer? I would think they would have it.

Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #3

If you would believe it, no!! They only carry parts till 93. Lordco has 3 choices but they don't know which one it it's I am tempted to buy all 3 at $200 bucks a piece
Old 03-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #4

That is not good. I had to get a tank sender rewound because nobody carried it. It was a GM 1994 chassis. Cost about $150 if I remember correctly. Took about a week. I just slid the tank under the motorhome while waiting. A 80 gallon tank takes up room.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #5

Your best bet is to drop the tank and pull the sending unit and get the number off of that. My 87 Allegro (120 gallon tank) had to do that before ordering the part. Not fun.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #6

I agree - dropping the tank and pulling the sender is your best bet. Then visit a site like rockauto.com which has pictures. I just checked there and the different senders go with different tank volumes and tank mounting locations. Since you're going to have to drop the tank to replace it anyways, having the part in hand when searching for a new one makes matching it up much easier. Vehicle manufacturers tend to use the same unit on many different vehicles. If you've done this on Fords before, you might even recognize it when you pull it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #7

Thanks folks! I have also heard of people cutting a hole in the floor if the RV and pulling everything out through the top but I am not a big fan of adding anymore water access points I have also looked into an aftermarket kit but have heard they are a bear to calibrate
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

My 1990 ford chassis was same way gauge didn't work. Had to pull the tank down cause first trip we broke down fuel related. I found the brass float to have several pin holes in it and filled up with gas. I bought a new float off a ford mustang restoration site for 5 bucks and its working fine now. Here is the site were I bought mine but looking for it I saw a couple sites for 5.95 same thing. http://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tank...5-1973/p/FSUF/
Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

Wow that's fantastic did you just do your best to match it by looks and dimension or are they universal, I can tell by the picture but what make is your motor home?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

Mine is a holiday rambler aluma lite I was going thru the rock auto and etc route for sending units and couldnt figure out what I had, decided to pull the tank down, measured the float and it matched perfectly. If you drop the tank closely look at the rubber line from the pump to the steel line, mine was cracked bad and I think it was was causing me to break down
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #11

I bet that us happening with mine to I have only driven it 40 miles and then put it away for winter were you noticing a fuel odor by chance?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

No I didn't have any fuel odors, if you do, look for leaks by the tank and you also have a fuel pump on the frame by the drivers side door area make sure of of the rubber lines aren't leaking
Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #13

Grizzly!! A thousand thankyou's sure enough that float was full of fuel! And the part you recommended fit perfectly, I think I figured out the fuel smell problem as the vent like was venting into a closed area
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #14

Glad it worked out for you