Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Fuel guage

Hi all
I have a 1985 Fleetwood Southwind and the fuel guage doesn't work. Is there a place or resource I can find to replace this unit or can I fix the one that's already in there?

Any help will be appreciated!

-------------
Paul and Kim
1985 Fleetwood Southwind
Kalispell, Montana
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

I would assume the unit goes into the tank around the same place as the fuel line that feeds the main powerplant.. if the sensor is bad, more than likely you will need to drop the tank to remove and replace.
jbeyersdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 AM   #3

Have you tested the gauge to see if it actually works? On mine I used a variable resistor , disconnected the gauge from the sending unit and put the resistor across the wires - I varied the resistance and the gauge followed, going up and down. That verified the gauge was good and that the sending unit was bad. Luckily my sending unit is mounted on the side of the tank, so I didn't have to drop the tank. It was still quite a challenge to change though.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Have you tested the gauge to see if it actually works? On mine I used a variable resistor , disconnected the gauge from the sending unit and put the resistor across the wires - I varied the resistance and the gauge followed, going up and down. That verified the gauge was good and that the sending unit was bad. Luckily my sending unit is mounted on the side of the tank, so I didn't have to drop the tank. It was still quite a challenge to change though.
The guage is mechanical I believe. It's always stuck between full and three quarters full. It never gets any lower than that. Maybe I'm not understanding something though?

-------------------
Paul and Kim
1985 Fleetwood Southwind 33 ft
Kalispell, Montana
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #5

You can disconnect the fuel level sensor and ground the sensor wire to the gauge. You should be able to send the gauge full / empty by grounding / disconnecting the wire. If that happens, then it's very likely the sender (which it sounds like).

Determine by looking at the sensor if the tank has to be removed. If so, drive until the tank is near empty. Siphon the rest of fuel out. Power wash the tank so it's not as grimy to work on. Wait to dry. Disconnect the lines going to the tank, remove the tank straps with a jack on a piece of wood underneath the tank to catch it's weight.

Once the tank is out, clean it out well (I use a power washer) and examine to see if it's rusty inside (once you remove the sender / pump). If it is, send the tank to a radiator shop for cleaning and recoating the inside. Let the tank dry out well before putting it back together.

Replace the sender. If you have an in tank fuel pump, consider putting a new one in so you don't have to do this work twice when the old pump dies. Replace all the soft fuel lines and clamps.

Make sure you don't bend the sender level float and wack it out of calibration.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Luckily my sending unit is mounted on the side of the tank, so I didn't have to drop the tank. It was still quite a challenge to change though.
Lucky indeed! I have a big tank to drop soon and one of the all-thread rods is bent just under the nut.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #7

That sucks Brob - maybe it's sawzall with metal blade time?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #8

Quote:
That sucks Brob - maybe it's sawzall with metal blade time?
Yep, that's the likely course; followed by a grinder to clean up the threads before the nut comes off. The up side is I should still have enough all-thread rod to reinstall it when it's all said and done.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel