Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fuel inlet tube

After buying my 1985 34' Bounder I pulled into a gas station to put some fuel in it to drive it the 45 miles home. After $20 worth I noticed fuel dripping on the ground. When I stopped pumping the fuel quit dripping. It was getting dark and I knew there was enough fuel to get home so I took it home. I have since added fuel several times using a 5 gallon can with no major leaking like I had at the station. I do get some wetness coming down the side of the tank but no major leaking. My thought was that the rubber tube from the filler to the tank had dry rotted and the weight of the hose pulled it apart. I have since seen a post someone wrote about a breather tube being plugged causing a leak when at the pump. Without a breakdown I have no clue if my unit has the breather tube. I cannot see the rubber tube from the filler to the tank to inspect for cracks. I don't want to take it in if it is something I can fix myself, but if the tank needs to come out it goes to a dealer. Any help?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not sure if this will help. On our 82 PA and on the rear tank if while fueling I try to get that last dollar in, it will leak or drain out the overflow. So now when I fill up I quite when the pump stops the first time.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #3

my 1985 had dry rotted filler line i would look at that simple to remove to check remove the line from the tank then open the door where the gas cap is there will be 4 screws to remove the assembly
Old 11-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fuel inlet tube

I had to have all of my fuel filler rubber parts replaced because of dry rot. Look to see if it isn't the overflow line from the tank to the filler tube. On mine at the filler tube there is a short piece of rubber connecting the metal overflow to the filler neck that I missed that leaked after the rubber replacement. Replaced that short piece and that took care of it.

John
Old 11-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think if I take out the board that the two fuel filters are mounted on I will be able to get to all the lines. I have removed the filler cover but cannot get to the hoses from there. Once I'm in there anything rubber is getting replaced.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fuel inlet tube

On mine the only way to get to the overflow connection at the fuel tank was to lower the tank. Hopefully you can get at everything without having to do that.

John
Old 11-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Got it replaced. Took the fuel door off and got into the fuel filter cabinet and took the filters off and removed the back board and it is right there. Tomorrow will get fuel filters mounted back up and test it out. Going to leave the fuel door off until I go and fill it back up so I can make sure there are no leaks. Tough work for a guy on disability for his bad back, but I'm sure I saved a crap load of money so I guess I can buy some extra pain meds.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

Good deal