Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
fuel pressure

I need to find out if its possible to check fuel pressure while running. My 88 454 starts and idles fine but will not run up a hill or run at 55. I have changed fuel filter plugs wires cap,etc. I have a pump in the tank and on engine. I don't think I could ever get the darn gas tank off but how would I know if I have enough flow? Up hills it just seems to be starving for fuel. No backfiring either. Like I said I would rather sell it than drop the darn tank. Isn't there a way to have a gauge on the dash before the carb? I haven't been able to find such a thing. Thanks. BTW. Heading to Fort Wilderness Sunday, back roads mostly. Hope I can limp in.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Consider that a clogged exhaust system (muffler or catalytic converter) will exhibit the same symptoms. Try letting of the gas pedal a bit when it happens and see if it maintains speed.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yea. It kinds maintains. I thought it was getting back to where it was getting eniough fuel. Ya know I don't think I have cats on this. Have to loom closer.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #4

Other than having the tube in the passenger compartment you could use a fuel pressure gauge piped from a tee in the line to the carb. I would not use it forever but to test it would be reasonable. Replace the splice with another filter and keep the set-up for future use.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #5

Have you tried changing all the filters? Especially the one on the chassis frame that is approximately in line with the entry door. There is one on the carb and possibly one near the gas tank, but if you have an intank fuel pump, you might not.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #6

You might also check your rubber gas line hoses. If they are all still original they are probably cracked and letting in air. The other thing might be the choke could be sticking. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #7

are you sure the pump is in the tank look over the passenger rear axel there will be a pump and filter
Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

When I had lost my 12 volts going to the tank fuel pump your symptoms are the same as I had. The switch that is on the oil pressure line failed but I was able to make it home light footing the pedal all the way.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #9

i had forgot about the oil pressure switch
Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #10

Yep. The "secret" GM / Chevrolet chassis fuel filter; hidden along the frame rail. We had one on a carburated 1982 427 Winnebago engine, and GM still used it on our fuel injection 1999 454 Safari Trek with an in-tank fuel pump. When this filter became partially clogged on the older engine, it would stutter when giving it just a little gas from constant speed. If the filter became further clogged, the symptoms might be like what happened to the original poster. On the 1999 engine, we saw an intermittent "Service Engine Soon" light. I changed the filter and have not seen the light again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Have you tried changing all the filters? Especially the one on the chassis frame that is approximately in line with the entry door. There is one on the carb and possibly one near the gas tank, but if you have an intank fuel pump, you might not.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks everyone. We are on our way to Ft Wilderness. Hope to make it. She we get back I will update. I like the idea of the pressure gauge before the carb but how would that be done? Its a metal line there. And I would hate to cut that.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #12

You really don't want a gas line running inside a vehicle. You could put a T in where it goes into the carb and not have to cut the line. I'd start out making sure the electric pump was working though. The symptoms you describe are exactly the reason GM added the pump, which makes me think it isn't working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
We had one on a carburated 1982 427 Winnebago engine,
Wow, a real tall deck 427? That would have been a great engine in a motor home.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
just so there's an update. I found the filter at the carb and changed that. Ran fine after. Hard to believe. Hopefully we can camp again.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel