Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #1

Fuel problem

I have replaced relay and now the starter. Engine is rolling over and fires when gas is being put in manually. I can't get gas to come through line to carb. I've traced lines and can't find fuel filter but they do go to a silver round thing that looks like a UFO ship. Thinking that's my mechanical fuel pump and is possibly my problem. The rv has been sitting for around 5 years. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Don't know if its showing up on my signature but I have a 1979 winnebago chieftain with a dodge 440 motor

Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The round thing you think is the fuel pump is it mounted at the engine? If so then yes that is the fuel pump and isn't a difficult part to replace. It should have two lines connected to it, one from the carburetor and the other coming from the fuel tank. Sitting that long isn't a good thing as you probably know. Seals dry up rubber rots, etc. Check to be sure if there might be a fuel filter connected at the carburetor inlet which may be plugged.

John
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

5 year old fuel is not a good thing either, drain the fuel tank and all the lines. replace fuel filter, possibly the fuel pump and overhaul the carb. Old fuel makes varnish and it gums up everything. I am in the same boat as you, the MH I bought was sitting since fall of 2007. I was fortunate that the PO filled the tank and that is what saved the sending unit in the tank from gumming up. When I took carb apart it was bad, 1/4" of gum based crap in bottom of the bowls and floats were all sticky and mains were gummed up. Fortunately Mike's carb kits had one for my thermoquad and new brass floats too. Hope this helps SNO
Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Does my rv have an in tank fuel pump or just a mechanical fuel pump. I plan on replacing all gas lines but puzzles me why my front tank was disconnected and plugged? Also should I drop the tanks and look at internals?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the help. The tanks were both drained when parked.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

I would drop both tanks and if you see no visable signs of problems on that front tank that was plugged I would take it to a rad shop and have it pressure tested. If it's good but rusty or dirty, you could get it coated inside or out. Unless the PO replaced with electric fuel pump it is most likely a mechanical fuel pump on the engine. When you have the tanks out check the sending units for movement and resistance. Dodge are 73-10 ohm. I am sure anything fuel related on your RV must have that bad old gas smell. SNO
Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #8

Well Tim,

It goes like this...
Your engine and fuel system was never conceived to have the stuff that gets sold as motorfuel these days running though it. Yes, the fuel pump is probably bad and so are all the rubber parts of the fuel system and maybe some in the carburetor as well.

Get a new fuel pump, and enough rubber to replace all of that, if you are not there yet, get a rebuild kit and be ready to tear-down, clean and re-assemble the carburetor.

That is what all of us old coach people have had to do and it isn't over. When you do get it running, you will probably have to re-tune it to run on 10% carpahol fuel and just about the time you get that right, the 15% will hit and now you will have to do most of what you did over again.

And For What?
Cleaner Air? - nope, alcohol doesn't make cleaner air that an engine maintained and tuned to specification.
Less Foreign Oil? - nope, alcohol has not reduced the demand for crude oil and older vehicles use more gas to go the same distance.
And it still takes more energy to make a gallon of ethanol than the energy we get from ethanol.

Sorry, Remember - you voted for this and fuel at more than 4$

Matt
Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

So what your saying is it don't run on regular pump gas it's a special fuel for this rv?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #10

Ok I have tried putting the line in a gas jug from inlet side of pump. No gas. I did however manage to get the engine to run for approx 3 seconds before it backfired.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

That is when I made a contraption above carb to feed gas to carb
Old 07-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

I did notice that gas went straight through like the float was stuck open. It filled the two front chambers.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
It filled the two front chambers.
Are you saying you left the contraption connected long enough that the carb flooded to the point that you filled the entire intake with gas? Please do not say you did that. If so, then you get to drain the oil because that is where the gas will go. If you simply want to know if the engine will fire, then go down and get a can of starting fluid and do a 2 second spray down the carb throat then start it.

Does the engine still have the stock Carter Thermoquad installed? The carb body will look as if it is made of plastic if it is. If so there are 2 o-rings in the bottom of the bowl that can go bad and allow the gas to flow out the carb into the manifold. Sounds like carb needs an overhaul. Carter used the plastic floats so it could also be deterioated and have to be replaced. You can get either plastic or brass floats from NAPA.

If fuel pump will not pull gas from a jug, then pump is bad

There is a fuel tank selector valve in the gas lines. Most likely located outboard the muffler on passenger side frame rail. Selects which tank to draw from based on dash select switch. Rubber lines there and at fuel tanks can rot out and result in the mechanical pump sucking air not gas. If replacing hoses, make sure you are using hoses that can be used with ethenhol as most everywhere is at least E-10 today.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #14

Well looks like ill be changing oil. It filled instantly meaning the carb. It is all stock with the thermoquad carb on a dodge 440 motor. Ill take the carb off and get it overhauled.