Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Fuel Pump/Filter for Class A 1986 Executive Diplomat w/ Chevy 454 (w/pics)

Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a 1986 Executive Diplomat from a family member. All appears to be in great shape and only 30,000 on the odo. Took it on a trip to the coast (~200 mi.) and all worked great. However, I tried to take her out again last weekend, and got hesitation in the engine and loss of power around 20 miles into my trip. I tried to make it back home, and eventually it wouldn't move. It would start and idle ok, but once there was a load on the engine it would stall. I'm suspecting the fuel filter might be clogged as there was old gas run through before I got it. Also, I'm not hearing the fuel pump engage when I start the engine with the fuel being drawn from the main tank. If I switch to the auxiliary tank, I can hear a slight buzzing, which I suspect to be another fuel pump? Anyway, I crawled underneath to try to locate the fuel pumps/fuel filters. Attached are some pictures. But my general questions are: Does anyone know if the fuel pumps were installed inside the fuel tanks in the mid 80's? Can you help identify where the fuel filter might be (See circled images) Anything helps!
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandobud16 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired a 1986 Executive Diplomat from a family member. All appears to be in great shape and only 30,000 on the odo. Took it on a trip to the coast (~200 mi.) and all worked great. However, I tried to take her out again last weekend, and got hesitation in the engine and loss of power around 20 miles into my trip. I tried to make it back home, and eventually it wouldn't move. It would start and idle ok, but once there was a load on the engine it would stall. I'm suspecting the fuel filter might be clogged as there was old gas run through before I got it. Also, I'm not hearing the fuel pump engage when I start the engine with the fuel being drawn from the main tank. If I switch to the auxiliary tank, I can hear a slight buzzing, which I suspect to be another fuel pump? Anyway, I crawled underneath to try to locate the fuel pumps/fuel filters. Attached are some pictures. But my general questions are: Does anyone know if the fuel pumps were installed inside the fuel tanks in the mid 80's? Can you help identify where the fuel filter might be (See circled images) Anything helps!
The upper circle I believe is some kind of emissions control.....

What chassis is it on P30????

When I look it up on Rock Auto under Chevy P30 chassis it list an electric fuel pump for stripped chassis

Old 05-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! Monaco bought out Executive Industries after this model was built, and they don't have a lot of info on these models. Thankfully the orig. owner was meticulous with his paperwork, and kept spec sheet/data,etc... The original spec. sheet says it's a chevy 454 chassis. However, and email from Monaco says these were built on a GM chassis. So I'm pretty much confused there.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The chassis is known as P30. The electric pumps were NOT inside the tank. They all pretty much look like yours. The engine fuel pump is simply not sufficient enough to pull fuel from the large and further away tank to the engine, therefore the need for electric pump. There should be a smaller tank just behind the driver area. The noise you are hearing when you switch tanks is the electric pump bringing fuel to the front.
The Chevy 454 engine should have a quadrajet carbeurator from the factory. If it does, in the front where the gas line screws in, there is a large filter housing (looks like a big nut) that you will find inside of it a rock filter and spring. Any parts store will have the filter, take the old one with you.
Years ago I had 1982 Fleetwood, same set up as yours. I as well went through the same problems. The strangest thing that ever happened to me was coming back from a trip, like you said yours did, it started bucking/jumping and slowing down. So I switched to the front tank and almost cured it except when going up a steep hill. When we GOT HOME I found the problem. The ALTERNATOR on these models only had ONE WIRE going to them. Someone had spliced that wire and it was loose and barely making contact causing the problem. Read this carefully, it may help you. Good luck.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #5

Used the VIN. It's a P37
Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Thanks Justimagination,

Good news that I won't have to drop the gas tank. Did you recognize one of the circled objects in the above photo as the fuel pump? I'll also check that the alternator is getting 12V. I've been experiencing my battery getting drained while the RV is off! Maybe thes are problems are related. Thanks again. Changing air-filter, plugs, and wires today and I'm going to inspect the distributor cap and rotor just to get the electronics up to date as well.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #7

Also the Chassis is 87 not 86
Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

The electric pump is tied into the oil pressure gage check there there should be a filter by the pump also
Old 05-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

Performed a test today. Ran the motorhome on both auxillary and main fuel tanks. The motor seemed to be fine when running on the auxillary tank, but stalled out after a few minutes of revving off of the main tank. Can I conclude that the problem lies with the main fuel pump/filter?

I found the filters. There are two inline filters on near the back axle on the passenger side. I'll be changing those. I found 2 electrical devices that could be the main fuel pump. Can you help me identify which is the main fuel pump from the pictures? the larger of the two (left picture), has a line in and line out, with two electrical terminal boots on the bottom (power/ground). The smaller one (right picture), has four or six hoses connected to it (maybe fuel return hoses too)? What is this? Anyway, as always any help is appreciated here. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3127.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	128210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3129.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	128211  

Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't the fuel filter in the Carb, as well as the engine fuel pump.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

As another test I put about 1.5 L of Seafoam in the Main fuel tank. Put some in the crankcase and intake while I was at it. Let it idle for over an hour and POOF! All seems to be normal. I can rev as much as I want it it doesn't hesitate!

I'm still going to change the fuel filters as well as new plugs and wires.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your chassis have a tag axle? The items in the very first picture look very much like a brake synchronizer valve (upper circle) and the vacuum actuator (lower circle) for operating the brakes on a tag axle. If your chassis does NOT have a tag axle then I'm at a loss.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #13

i thought the top picture looked like a part of the air pump valve down there
Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #14

The top picture does not seem like a fuel pump to me exactly but it may be one with a canister filter attached.

The second picture looks to me very similar to the solenoid switch that is used to direct fuel from one tank or the other. I had a Chevy based Rockwood from 1985 that had two tanks, and that solenoid with the 6 hoses is what changed when I chose one tank or the other. It is also how it determines how the fuel return lines work.

At one point, that solenoid failed, and I could not use the main tank, but when in reserve, it would draw from the reserve, and eventually overfilled the main tank, as some would be put into the main tank from the reserve tank, via the fuel pump... (Imagine the result of driving down the road with a full main tank that I cannot use, and have it eventually start spilling fuel out of the filler.)

I agree with the previous poster who said there is a stone filter on the input to the carburetor. That stone filter can clog pretty easily on an old MH like ours.

I typically add a clear or glass filter with replaceable cartridges. You may be surprised how much junk and bits are in the fuel. The nice thing about the clear filter housing is the ease of replacement. (Just a drop in filter)

My old Rockwood had a mechanical pump on the engine block, but it was a 350, not the 454. My new (to me) has the 454 but I have not yet looked into fuel pumps as I have not yet had that problem...

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, chevy, class a, fuel