Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #15

I used the por-15 products when I refreshed my tanks. Google them and check it out. They have an entire tank kit that will fit your needs.
73DodgeTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #16

I was actually thinking about just doing the ospho and no liner. Would that be good enough? I will look at oreillys and the por15 though, before I do anything. I called all my local radiator shops and noone seems to be boiling tanks anymore? Also the tank has baffles so I was reluctant to putting any objects in the tank for fear I would not be able to get them out.
The Beavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #17

Well I looked into oreilly auto parts and although they do have 2 different tanks to choose from they are only 40 gal tanks, which is considerably smaller than what I have, so not sure I want that. Also my concern with getting another tank is there would probably have to be some type of modifications to get it to fit? So im back to the best way to safely clean it and get it back into operation
Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #18

We dropped both tanks on the Titan and used this kit: http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAI...ductinfo/FTRK/

Start with a good power wash. the instructions are detailed and you"ll be happy with the results.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #19

Well I spoke to a rep for POR15 and I think that is the way im gonna go with my tank cleaning. Thanks for all the recommendations. I will post again when I get this phase of getting my Beav on the road, and start the next.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
I just did this task about a month ago. Used Red-Kote to line it. it was a project but the piece of mind it give's me is all worth it. The red kote is simple jsut make sure to clean and rinse the tank as good as possible. The red kote calls to use mek(methal ethal ketone-look in paint department) to bypass the 2-3 day drying time. I also scraped off all the old think undercoat they had on there and painted and re-undercoated it. Make sure when you reinstall your tank gets groung to the chassis! after redoing the entire fuel system and then my new fuel gauge din't work took my 3 days to realise the tank didn't have a ground. If doing the tank i suggest all new fuel lines and filters.

good luck
RockyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
POR-15

I've used POR-15 on half a dozen or so gas tanks and have had great luck. After draining and letting it vent I rolled some nuts and bolts around inside them to break up any rust. If you are concerned about left over gas fumes I've connected the empty tank to the exhaust of a (clean running) car and it purges any explosive fumes out.

On some tanks I've even had to weld or braze holes up and the POR-15 does a great job sealing up any small holes left over.

Dave
dburden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #22

Ok so POR15 is ordered and should be in my hands sometime later this week. My next step is getting a fuel sending unit, which is proving to be a little bit of a chore. Went to my local RV shop and was told that I needed to contact Monaco, which I did and was told that they couldn't help me. But was told about a company called Transfer Flow Inc. I called them and was told that they can rebuild my sending unit and make it like new again, I just have to send it to them and 10 days later I have a like new unit. Has anyone had any dealings with this company and if so can you give me some feedback on them.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #23

I don't have any experience with them. how much will they charge to rebuild?

When we redid both of my gas tanks, a company called Tanks Inc had all the parts I needed:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa.../results_w.htm
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #24

They said it would cost 150-175, and it would come back brand new. He said the turn around time is around 10 working days.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
not sure what type of sending unit you have but i would look on amazon or sears. I got a universal one and an aftermarket fuel gauge for about $40 total. If you got a pic of it, it would be easier to direct you where to look. If you do go after market mke sure the ohm reading of the sender and gauge match up. There are a bunch of vairiable's like 0 empty-90 full, 240 empty-33 full, or 10 empty 180 full just to name a few. I found it much easier and cheaper to go the aftermarket route rather than try an find one that matched up. If you are going for a full restore then i guess it might be worth the rebuild as long as you know your gauge is working properly, if your unsure then that could be a whole new can of worms.
RockyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #26

Well after many months I finaly got my fuel tank cleaned & lined, new fuel pump & sending unit installed. Today I put my gas tank back in my Beav!! I was so excited, got it in, put about 12 gallons of gas in it, my fuel guage moved (although not too much, but it moved)! I jumped in the command chair, turned the key and got the dead battery rapid clicking. :( so my new question is how can I jumpstart my Beaver! I know I have more than one battery but im not sure what is for what! Please help if you can!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #27

Push the auxiliary start switch while starting.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #28

Well I don't have an auxillary start button but I have a start boost button, which I pushed while turning the & same thing, rapid clicking