Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

Fuel Tank Access

I have heard that you can access the top of the fuel tank by cutting an access hole in the rear bedroom floor. Does anyone have an idea of where the hole should be cut and how big of a hole it should be? I need to access the fuel line for the generator.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
I did a lot of measuring before I got out the saw.... On my '92 HR on a '91 F53 chassis the fuel pump is located about a foot out side the foot of the bed, your's may be different . The only problem I ran into was the heat duct runs down the middle of the coach but a pair of tin snips took care of it.
Once the "access door" was completed it took about 20 minutes to replace the fuel pump and new wire stint for the new style pump. With the job complete and the carpet in place you would never know anything has been done.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

Thanks - I have tried to measure from under the P30 frame, but no luck. My old RV has the two beds in the back so I have an open space right in the middle to make the hole, which I can do not mind installing an access panel for future problems. I would think that it would be the wisest to make the access be the entire width of the floor between the bunks. I just need an idea of how far from some fixed item inside to start cutting, (i.e., back wall, front wall, etc.). No carpet in mine, but I can make the wood flooring look good.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #4

I wish I could just find a "top view" drawing of the frame showing the 80 gal. gas tank. Something like the one on the cover of the P30 Manual, but does not show up anywhere in the manual.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
An overhead view would make things simpler... I used the placement of the windows and tires as reference points also. It is daunting cutting a hole in your motor home but once done is the easiest way to get at the fuel pump. My access door is only 12"x12" and gave me more then enough room to do the job. On my rig there's about a foot between the top of the fuel tank and the floor, I can wedge myself over the rear axle and reach the fuel pump, if your's is the same perhaps you could drill a reference hole from the bottom up.... Just a thought.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #6

I haven't tried reaching the fuel sender from over the rear axel, I will give that a try. I do not have any problem cutting through the floor, look at some of the photos of what I have had to do to this RV already. I would just hate to make a cut and then find out that I have to make a second cut in a different location and end up with two holes in the back floor.

Is there just one spot where the fuel sender and generator fuel line hook to the tank?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedmundson View Post
I haven't tried reaching the fuel sender from over the rear axel, I will give that a try.

Is there just one spot where the fuel sender and generator fuel line hook to the tank?

As I said I could reach the tank over the axle but had to cut the access door to get it out.
The generator, engine fuel lines and sending unit are all located in the fuel pump mounting flange. If I remember correctly there are ten bolts that attach it.
If you're trying to get to the generator fuel line you may be able to do that without cutting the floor but it depends on how much room there is between the top of the tank and the coach floor. It looks like you have a Work Horse chassis, so it is different then my Ford F53.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #8

Our 87 bounder has access to the top of the fuel tank via what seems a factory installed cutout in the rear bedroom floor... fairly small so to actually get enough room for comfortable pump removal will probably have to enlarge it somewhat..

But there is enough room to climb underneath and access both the top of the tank/fuel pump/ fuel line connections for both engine and generator.
Although not the easiest or most fun places to get at..

with ours on the John deere chassis we have at least a foot+ access over the top of the axle so you can get hands in there and look with a flash light.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #9

I will give it a try from the front, over the axel. I did not have much luck from the sides even when I lowered the tank as far as it would go in its harness bolts. I have the 80 gal. tank, does anyone know where the sender is on the top of the tank? Side to side middle, front to back?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0791.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	26017

John here's the pic of our HR you wanted...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
On our tank, the sending unit was in the middle of the tank. We have a 1989 Winnie Superchief, but I would think the tank should be the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank 2.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	26019  
booyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Attachment 26017

John here's the pic of our HR you wanted...
Thanks Howard, Looks just like my 90. Mines 33' w/tag. mine is Cream with Taupe lower.Spent yesterday removeing rear basement storeage door the got hit by a riding mower and strighting everything out. All aluminum is nice. will be able to make it look new. Even have the paint that came with it. Will put it back together today Thanks John
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #13

The picture of the tank could be a great help. Is that tank's size 80 gal? I can measure the middle point of my tank in relationship to my back bumper and carry the distance back through the rear window.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yes, it is an 80 gallon tank. Should be easy to measure the center.

Tags
fuel, tank