Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Furnace converter

I have a 1983 TT with a Duo-Therm furnace in it. (I think the furnace is early 90's vintage) Next to the furnace is a transformer/switch combo that I can manually switch from 12v to 110v power to the furnace. The transformer caught fire and burnt out recently. I have searched the internet for a replacement, but cannot find one. This switch combo has printed on the side "Duo-Therm Converter No. 3-16225-002 For use with Duo-Therm model nos. 65925 & 65930 R.V forced air central furnaces only." Since it burned out, the 12 lights in the TT also do not work. Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

After some internet searching using the dogpile search engine, I found this DuoTherm parts site: http://www.ducktec.com/duo-therm-furnace-parts.htm
It sounds like a 120VAC>12VDC converter, made by DuoTherm.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

The loss of 12 lighting sounds like a fuse or breaker issue, likely caused when the transformer burnt out..
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ray, I too found that page, but after posting a request, never received a reply. I think I may just take a voltage meter out there and figure out a way to wire it in 110 full time. Wish I could find the converter though!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

+12 VDC Converter Options

Troubleshooting 101 suggests the switch selected between the +12 VDC House Voltage [Battery] and the +12 VDC from a 110 VAC -> +12 VDC Converter output while also energizing the Converter with a separate set of Contacts on the multi-Pole Switch. If there's a Schematic on the Heater Door, as per usual, then you should be able to confirm what they did at the Factory. The Furnace decidedly runs from +12 VDC. The question is what those Voltage sources are.

The only 'gotcha' I can envision is that they built a little low Voltage AC - the output from the Transformer - to DC Power Supply right on the Furnace Circuit Board. Weird, but not unthinkable, I suppose... In that scenario, an outboard Converter would not work directly.

Then, by looking at the DC Amp draw Spec on the Heater [my 12,000 BTU Furnace is ~3 Amps], use a Converter you find and wire in yourself. I get 'orphaned' Converters/Power Supplies cheap for projects at places like Salvation Army or Habitat For Humanity.

Alternately, wire the Furnace to the +12 VDC output on your TT Converter and be done with it [if it's not that way already]. It will see +12 VDC when you're plugged in. Just think through the desired operation when replacing the Converter and/or Switch. The key is to fully understand the way it's wired now; then duplicate/improve that situation.

+12 Volt Converter Resources
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Or, swap out the entire furnace for a good catalytic heater like the Olympian Wave series; no electrical draw and saves a ton on propane.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi ALAG321,

I don't know if this will help you - but I think Duo-Therm is part of Domestic Corp. Below is the contact email and phone number for Domestic's customer service. You might try rattling that side of the cage - up close and personal.

customersupportcenter@dometicusa.com
Dometic Corporation
2320 Elkhart, IN 46516,
Phone +1 574.294.2511
Old 03-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Or, swap out the entire furnace for a good catalytic heater like the Olympian Wave series; no electrical draw and saves a ton on propane.
Unless you really want or need heat to be ducted, as the OEM stuff is - in our case, a non-ducted heater requires leaving bathroom doors open for heating the whole RV. My folks use the catalytic heaters in their RVs - really loved them.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote