Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

furnace problem in my 72 Holiday vacationer

I'm getting ready to use my camper for the first time in June so I started testing everything and when I push and hold the reset button on the furnace and hold it for 30 seconds to a minute after lighting the pilot the pilot does not want to stay on.
Could anyone tell me what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
I'm getting ready to use my camper for the first time in June so I started testing everything and when I push and hold the reset button on the furnace and hold it for 30 seconds to a minute after lighting the pilot the pilot does not want to stay on.
Could anyone tell me what might be wrong and how to fix it?
Sounds like you need a new thermocouple. Not expensive, and not hard to replace if you have some mechanical aptitude. I just recently replaced the one in my home furnace. New thermocouple was $8.79 and took about 15 minutes to replace. It will probably take somewhat longer than that in an RV because of the way the furnaces are built and the sometimes difficult access, but they use the same parts. Thermocouples are available in different lengths and available at any RV parts store. They're also a common part at home improvement and hardware stores, and probably cheaper, but they might not have the shorter lengths used in RV furnaces.

It's also possible that you have a flame problem and it is not heating the thermocouple adequately, or something has moved and the end of the thermocouple is not in the flame. I have experienced both of those problems over the years with RV water heaters and furnaces.

If all of what I'm saying sounds like a foreign language to you, it's probably time to take it to an RV repair shop.

JP

Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

Spiders webs around the propane orifice?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Take some steel wool of emery cloth and clean the thermcouple then retry it. 99% of the time it will work . I had done this on my gas furance in the house.