Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

Furnace what to do....

Ok, So I had dropped my furnace off to camping world with the understanding it would be done last Wednesday. Well it's saturday and sleeting and a local guy was parting out an 85 chieftain. So I went over and all that was left was his furnace and the stove. Both happen to be the same units in mine and I bought them together for 50 bucks.

Went back over to camping world with new (used) furnace in tow. I had been told on the phone when I called that the parts for my other one could be returned and that I would owe 110 bucks at this point (bench test and labor) so I figured, that's what I would do and just have this unit quickly tested and see if it worked, and if not grab the parts from it (I new the blower worked and could hear the sail switch working, as in moving back on an forth when I manually turned the blower and these where the issue with my original unit. I ask them about it and suddenly it's "well your unit is done and waiting for the paint to dry and you can pick it up monday for 460 bucks...Oh and no, we will not tell you how to test to unit you just got..."

Frustrated I came home grab the furnace I just bought and hooked it up in the RV turned on the gas, hit the Thermostat and what do you know. It powered right up and is out there heating the RV as I type this.

I feel like telling them to just keep my original unit at this point. I mean. 1. they are 5 days later than they said it would be, 2. it's 60 more than they originally said.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

Welcome to camping world

Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Cool papaw.1

Unfortunately you have just learned a very valuable lesson about nearly all cw's
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Unfortunately you have just learned a very valuable lesson about nearly all cw's
Well, I think they just bought themselves a furnace. This other one I got is working perfect. and considering I got a stove that looks new it's like I got it for free.

At least I didn't pay a deposit or anything.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In some states if the job is going to run more than $25.00 over the estimate,,, They have to notify you, if they don't you don't have to pay but the estimate... NOW, some states may not have that rule, and others it might be a different amount.

You need to check it out.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #6

Frankly, I don't know how they stay in business, at least how their service dept turns a profit.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
I can't think of a thread on this forum where anybody actually had anything good to say about their service dept.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
I can't think of a thread on this forum where anybody actually had anything good to say about their service dept.

Believe it or not, they never even called today to tell me that the furnace was completed and that I could come and get it. At this point I'm going to let them keep it. They claim the motor was 160 plus 12 bucks for shipping, but I can buy the motor for 101 with free shipping directly... same with the sail switch, it's more than twice what I can just order directly online for. And these prices are INCLUDING the so called good sam discount...

It would be nice to have a list of good repair shops in the area one could deal with. I still have to have shocks put on.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Try this link for reviews of service shops RV Service Reviews
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Try this link for reviews of service shops RV Service Reviews
Yes, but using this I got this...

http://www.rvservicereviews.com/Revi...ga&CategoryID=

Which would have lead me to the same result as I'm currently having...
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngarover View Post
Yes, but using this I got this...

RV Service Reviews

Which would have lead me to the same result as I'm currently having...
HMMM?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
In my opinion, (worth what you paid for it) you contracted for CW to repair your furnace when you signed the repair order, and therefore you are obligated to pay their estimated price. If their time estimate was not met, I would think you are in a good position to negotiate for a price reduction. This may also be a great opportunity to get your original furnace back for any parts needed in the future as both your units are 20 or 30 years old. It is my experience that I can always buy parts cheaper on line than from a retail repair facility with service people and a parts supply on site. If it were mine, I would agree to pay their cost for parts plus labor and chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
In my opinion, (worth what you paid for it) you contracted for CW to repair your furnace when you signed the repair order, and therefore you are obligated to pay their estimated price. If their time estimate was not met, I would think you are in a good position to negotiate for a price reduction. This may also be a great opportunity to get your original furnace back for any parts needed in the future as both your units are 20 or 30 years old. It is my experience that I can always buy parts cheaper on line than from a retail repair facility with service people and a parts supply on site. If it were mine, I would agree to pay their cost for parts plus labor and chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Agree. They told me 400 when I dropped it off and after a full inspection of the unit to find out what was wrong with it in the first place... for that price I was to get a fully rebuilt unit...

Now, its almost a week later than the day they told me it would be ready and they want 460 + 12 shipping + tax... I didn't agree to 472 plus tax, I agreed to 400. Also I find that they only replaced the motor and the sail switch and painted the unit, They didn't do the ignitors or any of the electronics or anything thing else... So not a full rebuild...

I also had to find another way to heat the unit, cause I use it for work prompting me to buy the used unit (my space heater and supplemental roof heat from the A/C are just not enough to heat it on really cold nights. Your correct about it being a 30 year old unit, and since I can find the unit online for 600 brand new in the box (including shipping) Suburban Furnace - NT Series on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

There increase in price makes it worth just getting the new one if I need it. I told them this on Friday when they said that it was not ready and they had no problem shipping the parts back since nothing had been done (so they said) But when I went in saturday suddenly the price was 72+shipping more and the unit was "done" but not ready until "Monday" (yesterday) with of course no call to say to come and get it etc... I asked them on saturday them telling me that it was done (just needed to let the paint dry) But then the Tech that was working on it was not there and would not be back till monday... So, they must have rebuilt it between closing on friday and noon on saturday without the tech.... see where I'm going with this? It's been a run around.

Oh and to top it all off, Saturday while talking to the counter about it, he tells me that my Motor was fine in the old unit just not turning on... So why did they replace it with a 160+12 dollar shipping motor? (which I could have bought myself quite a bit cheaper)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #14

Just as an update. I still have not heard from them....

Tags
furnace