Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:19 PM   #1

I am testing the lines in the TT I just bought and am restoring. I new to the store and got a full tank, and hooked it up to the TT, and tried to light the burner on the stove without luck. So I thought, maybe the oven's pilot light has to be on before the stove top will work, so I tried lighting that, without luck, and then I tried lighting the heater pilot light, without luck.

I smelled gas a little, but never got even a flicker of flame from any of them. Do gas lines get stopped up? Does the regulator ever go bad? How do I start to track down what is wrong?

ON the plus side, I turned on the water today and only have one small leak, some copper pipe and a little time and that will be fixed! Yeah!

I do have a question though, it doesn't appear that I have a gray water tank on this camper. While running water into the holding tank (until I found a leak) I noticed that anything that went into the sinks was going out a drain out back, I saw how to close it, but didn't see a tank of any kind. Is this true for older TT's? Can one be added? Do I need one? I have never owned a TT before so I don't know how much it's used..

Thanks for any help!

Jamie
I took pictures and will be posting them soon...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2004, 03:19 PM   #2

I am testing the lines in the TT I just bought and am restoring. I new to the store and got a full tank, and hooked it up to the TT, and tried to light the burner on the stove without luck. So I thought, maybe the oven's pilot light has to be on before the stove top will work, so I tried lighting that, without luck, and then I tried lighting the heater pilot light, without luck.

I smelled gas a little, but never got even a flicker of flame from any of them. Do gas lines get stopped up? Does the regulator ever go bad? How do I start to track down what is wrong?

ON the plus side, I turned on the water today and only have one small leak, some copper pipe and a little time and that will be fixed! Yeah!

I do have a question though, it doesn't appear that I have a gray water tank on this camper. While running water into the holding tank (until I found a leak) I noticed that anything that went into the sinks was going out a drain out back, I saw how to close it, but didn't see a tank of any kind. Is this true for older TT's? Can one be added? Do I need one? I have never owned a TT before so I don't know how much it's used..

Thanks for any help!

Jamie
I took pictures and will be posting them soon...

Old 05-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #3

IMO I would check the gas line and even take off the first section of copper pipe and blow air thru it to clean the pipe. There are times when bees or flies get into the line and build a mud nest. If that is clear reattatch the line and put the regulator on the tank, turn on the gas, and see if any gass comes out the regulator, do this outside and not in a barn or shed. Just remember the regulator is set very low about `10 wci so the pressure will be slight. If everything is working reattatch everything, tighten, turn on the gas check all fittings with soapy water to check for leaks, and try to light things in the camper. Old campers probably did not have gray water tanks, you will have to use a pail or something to catch the gray water.
Good luck
Blue
Old 05-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #4

Our '84 Toyota MH does not have a gray water tank. The gray water goes into the black water tank. It is no big deal except that the hose needs special cleaning. I bought an extension to teh drain that lets me squirt water up into the tank to rinse it out. It seemed to work well when we tried it.

Consider seeing if you can plumb your sink into the black water tank.

Dan

Dan Listermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Jamie, welcome to irv2 and the wonderful world of vintage rv's. You don't say what year your TT is, but many older rigs were nor equipped with a grey water holding tank. "Morty" our Ken-Craft does not have one. Thirtyfive years ago campground facilities were not what they are today. Septic tanks were the norm for waste disposal and were used only for black water. It was not considered a mortal sin, as it is today, to put soapy water on the ground. We don't dry camp of boondock anymore and only choose cg's with full hookups, so it is not an issue for us. Here are some thoughts. If you don't already have one, get a waste valve cap with a hose fitting on it and attach a water turnoff to it. Also get a short lenth of hose. This way you can drain the grey water into buckets or holding cans. I have 2 5 gal water cans marked clearly for grey use only. You can put the grey water into the toilet or save it to flush the black tank after emptying it or carry it to a dump point.
As for the gas line, we never know how long one of these vintage rigs has been sitting. It will take some time for gas to get to an appliance. You should begin at the stove. Turn on the rangehood fan then a stove burner. Have matches or a lighter at hand and wait patiently for the slightest hint of gas. It may take a while. When all burners light move to the water heater. Again be patient, it will be a pain holding the primer button. Then the fridge, then the furnace. Let us know when you get gas
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote