Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
My coach was built in 1973. If the fuel lines have not ALL been replaced, plan on doing that job now. From the tank top to the carburetor all the existing rubber lines, between just plain age and alcohol, are probably shot.

Recently I replaced all the fuel lines with either Polyarmour or SAE J30 R14. The work was worth the piece of mind.

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
I should add that adding an inline fuel pressure gauge (cheap Mr. Gasket ones sold at nearly every parts store) will help in diagnosing your issue. Have you pulled the plugs and checked them? Have you done a tune up recently (spark plugs, plug wires, dizzy cap, rotor button)?

You also may want to get another carb rebuild kit and go through it again. My experience with Dodge and their carbs (mostly with the industrial large bore 2 bbl) has shown that there is a great possibility of their fuel cavities (where the floats are) slowly draining fuel into the intake, emptying all the gas out of the carb and accelerator pump and flooding the engine. Check your oil too and make sure it's JUST oil.

crash-harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
Thanks for the replies I changed the mechanical pump and removed the hoses at the tank and replaced some and overall tightened all hoses and now works like a charm. I did get one of the batteries replaced and it starts in 1.5 seconds. This thing runs like new so even though it's old the engine was redone, the tranny was redone but has an issue now, and the carb was redone 3 month ago when smogged. The tune up was also done at the same time. The pump was just old. All good now.

gica is offline   Reply With Quote