Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #15

Went out and looked at my M400 chassis. As the manual indicates the small vent line does connect back to the top of the tank. It is used to allow air to escape from the tank when adding fuel to the tank. Both the original Dodge tank and the Aux tank added by Winnebago have this arrangement.
You would have to research how the replacement tank was inteneded to be setup. Does not sound like it is the same style as the original stock tank.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ok, here are the pictures I took this evening before taking her to a radiator shop.

I made the new cover out of sheet metal and painted it flat black...

Not a very good picture. Has a lot of background light but if you look @ the top right hand corner you can see the small vent hose coming off the filler neck right around the first clamp towards the top of the picture. This hose is about a year or less old and is already cracking. I was told by the auto parts store that it is in fact fuel hose! Guess it's just not ethanol approved...

poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
On another note. The unit still has both fuel tank gauges and neither of them are working. I can see a green wire hooked to the tank so I guess I will have to figure out the deal with that as well. I would like it hooked to the OEM gauge in the cluster...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #18

Dodge did not offer a dual tank option. The coach mfg added it (WInnebago in your case). Dodge used a 18 gauge light blue wire to connect to the fuel tank sender assembly. Winnebago would have modified it. NOt sure what type of selector valve you had but here is a typical fuel tank selector valve diagram. Yours most likely would have been simular. It shows a one for a vapor return line (6 hoses) but the none vapor model (3 hoses) would have been the same. This type of valve selects which fuel sender is feeding the dash gauge. If this style of valve was used, the original Dodge light blue wire would have been disconnected from the dodge tank sender and moved to the pin B on the switch. New wiring would have been installed from the valve (pins A and C) to each tank sender. You just need to reconnect the light blue wire to your new single replacement fuel tank sender. Pre-74 rigs typically have a retangular instrument cluster. 74 up (new style dash) had 3 round gauge clusters. for the later dash, Dodge offered an aux fuel gauge option for the left side gauge cluster. The coach builder would connect his aux tank wiring to a post on the rear of the instrument cluster. Most Winnebagos used only the original gauge (rather than the seperate gauges) and used external switching to select the source (i.e. the selector valve circuit below).

Dave