Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy Gas tank filler problem

I have a 82 Southwind 27' I just bought. I have a problem filling the main tank. The filler tube from the cap enters the tank not from the top but about 2/3 up in the side of the tank. Consequently when you try to go past there the gas backs up and shuts off the station's hose. It is especially bad with the Calif. vapor recovery systems. Is there a fix for this.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
It seems to be a problem with the older Motorhomes. Apparently the coach builder didn't have enough sense to know that these units would have to be fueled from time to time.
On my 81 Mobile Traveler I have the same problem, I have to fuel at the slowest possible pump speed. It's a combination of a flattened filler neck hose and it's relatively flat grade from the opening to the tank.
I'll bet that if you look up under yours, you'll see something very similar.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gyro View Post
I have a 82 Southwind 27' I just bought. I have a problem filling the main tank. The filler tube from the cap enters the tank not from the top but about 2/3 up in the side of the tank. Consequently when you try to go past there the gas backs up and shuts off the station's hose. It is especially bad with the Calif. vapor recovery systems. Is there a fix for this.
On my "83 Itasca" the inlet was the same way....The manufacture was simply to lazy or stupid to mount the inlet at the top (vent also).

Looking at the frame rail you will see a factory oval slot where the rubber inlet line should be (about 4-5 inches higher)......

Now you can mark the entrance on the tank and have it modified (up) and also have the vent line moved up and your problem is solved....

I simply designed a new tank and had it made in Lake Havasu city and it's all aluminum which also me 80-90 pounds of weight that was behind the rear axel about 5 feet or so.....BIG difference in handling also.

Jim
Old 07-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Thought it was just me I have a recently acquired 1985 Southwind and my inlet is in the side of the tank also. It is a pain to fill. I have had it once try and burp the air once the fuel was over the inlet and it sprayed all over for a few seconds. Then took 40 more gallons. I agree that it is a dumb design if for no other reason than having the fuel fill hose the only thing keeping half your fuel from ending up on the ground. I replaced mine with a new Goodyear filler hose. I have found that if I hold the nozzle right at the edge of the filler inlet I can make decent progress. Just really have to pay attention or you get a leg covered in fuel. I also listen for the gurgling sound that is telling me it is ready to burp some air.

Guess I am just patient because my 2000 Ford Diesel truck takes forever also. Only it is because diesel like to foam, not because someone thought it would be a great idea to put the fill neck in the side of the tank..
Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #5

The key to reasonable fill rate is clear & easy vapor release. If your vapor release line doesn't head back to the filler neck above the tank level at all points, it will get fuel in it and block vapor relief.

IIWMI'd reroute the vapor relief line above the tank, and if needed get a filler tube/cap w/the vapor relief nipple entering at the top of the main line as close to the cap as possible. This is mostly plumbing and contortionalizing. Double hose clamps are a good idea for these fill plumbing lines.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
The key to reasonable fill rate is clear & easy vapor release. If your vapor release line doesn't head back to the filler neck above the tank level at all points, it will get fuel in it and block vapor relief.

IIWMI'd reroute the vapor relief line above the tank, and if needed get a filler tube/cap w/the vapor relief nipple entering at the top of the main line as close to the cap as possible. This is mostly plumbing and contortionalizing. Double hose clamps are a good idea for these fill plumbing lines.
That is kind of the strange part. The filler neck goes into the side of the tank. There is also a 1/2" line coming from the top of the tank that attaches up near the gas cap. Seems to me a 1/2" line would make for a good vent but the tank still is hard to fill. I recently had the tank out to fix the sender wiring, and replace the hoses. I imagine my tank is similar to the OP's tank. I am kind of wondering if the 1/2" connection on top of the tank goes to the bottom. If so, it probably would not be a very good vent. And the fill tube on mine is double clamped. Too much fuel above to trust only one...
Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you have the fill tube 5 inches or so below the top of the tank the fuel that is already in the tank will slow the filling process plus I found the vent line that connects to the upper portion of the fuel inlet is also 5 or so inches below the top of the tank...

Just crawl under the coach and take a good long hard look and don't forget the oval frame hole either...

Jim