Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
gas tank issue

I bought a 1985 pace arrow motor home. this unit is in great shape inside and out. When I drove this unit home the gas tank was almost empty. I went to the gas station to fill it up, I know it has a 60 gal fuel tank. The nozzle cut out at 30 gal, I tried too put more fuel in but it wouldn't take it. Now this is a single 60 gal tank it does have a push pull switch on the dash I have moved it in and out and nothing changes. Can someone help me with some info.
Thanks BMK

BMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Have you been underneath and visually checked that it only has one fuel tank? What chassis is the RV built on? A push/pull knob on the dash sounds like perhaps you have two fuel tanks with two fuel pumps or solenoid valves to switch from one to the other.

Many years ago I modified a school bus to use for road trips. It only had a 30 gallon tank. I got a second 30 gallon tank from a junked bus and added it underneath. A DPDT switch changed from one tank to the other, and it also changed the fuel gauge sender to monitor each tank's condition. Maybe you've got something similar.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:38 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 1982 PA 30 foot, P30/454/4bbl. with 2 tanks a 70gal Rear and a 30gal front.
There are 2 fuel filters under the passenger side of MH behind a protective plate (2 screws) along side of the frame and one on the carburetor. The Gennie runs off the rear tank and will not operate if that tanks gets below 1/4 tank. I also have a toggle switch on the dash. Main/aux. My rear tank is sensitive too over filling "Beware"
A 60 gallon tank wont' get ya too far going cross country approx. 480 miles where as I get around 800 based on 8 mpg towing the toad. Minn too AZ.
Have any Pic's to post?
Love too see it.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
it is a P30 with a 454 turbo 400 trans. Yes I've been underneath and it appears to only have one tank and one filler neck. I measured the tank and it figures out to about 60 gals. This weekend I will get back under to check it out again. I will be posting some picks soon. Thanks for the input. BMK
BMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
Sounds like there's a good chance you have a messed up vent line, or possibly filler line. If either have low spots, they're both capable of causing grief/partial fills.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, tank