Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Gasoline fill area

On our 83 Pace Arrow the plastic or fiberglass that support the tank fill tube is breaking away from the body. I see that a repair was attempted because a section of the same type of materiel was in place but the rear section of the cavity has a major crack and I am afraid that the motion of the highway will make it eventually give way dropping my fuel tube from the side of the motor-home.

Has anyone made a repair in this area and if so what did you do, what materieldid yo use and how was it fastened?

Right now it looks as if the entire area behind the gas cap door need to be repaired and or replaced.

Your feedback is most welcomed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have to look at it.. On my coach the tank filler is held in a plastic 'benzel" which is then bolted to the side of the motor home.. Something like 10 screws it's off (six on the body 4 on the filler) and then you replace it (Same 10 screws)

But yours may well be different.

Mine broke under warranty.. I pulled into the warranty service center and they said "Soon as we have an open bay pull it in" I said, Open bay, Heck, I can do it right in the parking lot.
They said "Crawl around in the mud"

I said "What mud? You do it standing up.

THey looked and said "OH", and replaced it for me

Of course I drive a Damon.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you crawled underneath and looked for additional brackets that hold the main hose in place?

Jim
Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #4

mine was cracked up more then just a little when i was replacing the fuel fill hose i reinforced the back with some aluminum and j b weld
dave
Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
feedback

Thank for the feedback, yes I have gone underneath, but don't recall what was there. so I guess I need to get back under her to see what may be supporting her, as far as I can tell in this area it is all molded into the body, and it is not separate. I tried reinforcing it with sheet metal, but for what ever reason I was unable to then remove the gas cap, so that is a concern, I think I would have to make a flush repair, because that 1/16" of sheet medal created a problem and held my gas cap on and I do not want to run the risk of creating any friction in this area, it all looks as if it is held on by 3 bolts.

I am still trying to figure out how much gas the tank holds also, so I may have to measure that tank at the same time, when I bought her the gas gage said I had a half tank, so assume it was a 85 gallons stock tank, and so far I have put in at least 60 gallons and it is still not full, so either the gage is wrong, or the tank is larger that I thought. Since the gage swung over to the full mark and is no longer moving, I have put another 20 gallons in her and she still seem to be thirsty.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #6

mine was removable,85 is a good guess on gas mine will hold 25 gal. past full. one thought might be pricy what about the crome covers people put on trucks im not sure if is a cover or attaches to hose
dave
Old 09-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 83 Itasca original tank held about 80 gallons, My new aluminum tank holds 82 along with a super weight savings....
Another problem noticed was the metal fuel tube going into the tank was 4.5 inches from the top due to the lazy critters running it BELOW the main frame..
So I modified the design and the inlet comes in at the top and the vent line at the top also filling it up is now fun...
The fuel runs through the frame not below it, IF you hafta drop the tank to check the fuel level sender that would be a good time to replace every piece of rubber fuel line with "Fuel injector hose" including the generator stuff.
Measure the tank and you can get real close to the amount of fuel held...

Jim
Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I called Walt's RV Supplies here in CA, he said he has some. You have to measure your old one and he can match it up. He has the light brown ones.
Walt's RV (909) 823-0563
J
Old 09-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heck goldwinger, Kartvines is under 25 miles to Walts...Rialto is the town.

Jim
Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Heck goldwinger, Kartvines is under 25 miles to Walts...Rialto is the town.

Jim
You're right, I just looked at his profile. Walt's is the spot, they have a lot of older stuff. Should be an easy and painless fix. Hey Jim you're in the neighborhood also, we should talk about a West Side get together.
J
Old 09-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
You're right, I just looked at his profile. Walt's is the spot, they have a lot of older stuff. Should be an easy and painless fix. Hey Jim you're in the neighborhood also, we should talk about a West Side get together.
J
Yes, I'm om the eastern end of the Coachella valley about 50 miles from Beaumont and 70 or so miles from "Walt's"....

I have 2 more outings this year, Anaheim hills (Canyon RV park) for our class reunion the on to Arizona a dab later....

January is "Quartzsite" and I sure hope the weather is better then last years mess

Jim
Old 09-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Walt's

Well funny thing I went to Walt's 2 weeks ago, and they told me that they had nothing that would work for me, normally it took me at least a half day to check everything that Walt's had, but since they moved to that industrial building everything is out of reach and it is impossible to locate anything.

Walt's was the first place I thought of, and I walked away with nothing. At least in the old place in Fontana every thing was reachable, now depending who is at the counter they may know where thing are or not depending on how long they have worked there, even the guy who I was told knew where everything was was unable to help me, and I came with a lot of cash to walk away with a truckload of things to help upgrade my 83 Pace arrow and I ending buying nothing.

That was one reason I ended up buying a vintage Fleetwood, because I knew all about Walt's being I have been there often,. but was truly disappoint not to be able to locate a single item I was looking for.