Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Generac NP66G Issues

Just installed my brand new Voltage Regulator on my genset.
Prior to doing that I started it up, let it warm a little for a few minutes and flicked the CB's on to check the voltage, sure enough it was still putting out 150V at 60 cycles, shut er down and exchanged parts
Started it back up and she fired right off, the little red light on the new regulator came on nice and bright. Went to plug in the kill A Watt meter and it shut off. I can start it and it runs and then quits, it will not keep running, what the heck???????
According to my manual it will start and shut off if I have low oil or low oil pressure or one of two control relays have failed
Well I can say for sure the oil is up to F on the dipstick after that, I am lost HELP

BTW there was a big bulge on the face of the old regulator, I assume something burned up in there

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I understand gensets will shut off if they are not producing juice. Does it run long enough to get a meter on it?

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
I understand gensets will shut off if they are not producing juice. Does it run long enough to get a meter on it?

ronspradley
This one has to run for a few moments to stabilize and then it kicks in, I had the meter in front of me hanging on an extension cord thru a window it was around 80v when it kicked off and was only running about 1 minute. After that it starts, reves up to speed, runs for 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. I am suspecting the oil pressure switch, not sure how to test it tho
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
This one has to run for a few moments to stabilize and then it kicks in, I had the meter in front of me hanging on an extension cord thru a window it was around 80v when it kicked off and was only running about 1 minute. After that it starts, reves up to speed, runs for 5-10 seconds and then shuts off. I am suspecting the oil pressure switch, not sure how to test it tho
I removed and checked the oil press switch, strange thing, it has two wires going to the one terminal, cleaned the leads to the oil hi temp switch, that cannot be it becuase it has not warmed up enought yet, removed the fuel bowl from the carb, it was clean, no water, still have the shutting down aftr the start issue issue??????
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

First, if you do not have it, here is the service manual for a NP Series generator:
http://www.generator-parts.com/manua...-rv/Y78800.pdf

Wiring diagram is on pdf page 41. You can see from that one wire on the oil pressure switch is from the High Oil Temperature switch. Both the oil pressure switch and the High Oil Temperature switch must be open when running. They ground the 2 magneto coils out if they sense a error shutting down the engine. The Stop switch does the same thing (shorts out the ignition).

Sequence of events is described in detail in section Six.

Your description of the problem makes me think the fuel pump is running when you select start but does not keep running so the the unit runs out of gas. The CR1 relay must energize for the pump to stay runnig once you release the start switch. CR1 is energized from the generator battery winding. You may not have got something put back together correctly.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
First, if you do not have it, here is the service manual for a NP Series generator:
http://www.generator-parts.com/manua...-rv/Y78800.pdf

Wiring diagram is on pdf page 41. You can see from that one wire on the oil pressure switch is from the High Oil Temperature switch. Both the oil pressure switch and the High Oil Temperature switch must be open when running. They ground the 2 magneto coils out if they sense a error shutting down the engine. The Stop switch does the same thing (shorts out the ignition).

Sequence of events is described in detail in section Six.

Your description of the problem makes me think the fuel pump is running when you select start but does not keep running so the the unit runs out of gas. The CR1 relay must energize for the pump to stay runnig once you release the start switch. CR1 is energized from the generator battery winding. You may not have got something put back together correctly.

Dave
Thank you for jumping in Dave, as usual you are a wealth of information, I do not have this manual and I will print it out and insert it in my owners book and try to figure out what I did wrong, I am sure it has to be something simple.
If the fuel pump cuts out it should run a while until the bowl is out of fuel, but if I hit the starter right after it stops it starts right up again which leads me to think somethiong is grounding out the coils. It seems that everytime I fix something it leads to another issue which needs fixing, but I guess I have to expect that from a unit that sat unused for so many years and I am bringing it back from the dead

BTW.... when I went to change the regulator I saw one wire that was not connected to the CR1 relay and I had a choice of two spades to connect it to, perhaps I connected it to the wrong one?????
Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Thank you for jumping in Dave, as usual you are a wealth of information, I do not have this manual and I will print it out and insert it in my owners book and try to figure out what I did wrong, I am sure it has to be something simple.
If the fuel pump cuts out it should run a while until the bowl is out of fuel, but if I hit the starter right after it stops it starts right up again which leads me to think somethiong is grounding out the coils. It seems that everytime I fix something it leads to another issue which needs fixing, but I guess I have to expect that from a unit that sat unused for so many years and I am bringing it back from the dead

BTW.... when I went to change the regulator I saw one wire that was not connected to the CR1 relay and I had a choice of two spades to connect it to, perhaps I connected it to the wrong one?????
I printed out the manual, I had parts of it but not the diagnostics and fow charts.
Checked the oil it was midway on the dipstick so I topped it off
I can see the contact points in the relay and the points close when starter is pushed and open back up when motor starts and start button released
The sun is out right where I have to work on it so I am doing nothing until it is in the shade, in the meantime I am reading up on how to do all the checks
Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
I printed out the manual, I had parts of it but not the diagnostics and fow charts.
Checked the oil it was midway on the dipstick so I topped it off
I can see the contact points in the relay and the points close when starter is pushed and open back up when motor starts and start button released
The sun is out right where I have to work on it so I am doing nothing until it is in the shade, in the meantime I am reading up on how to do all the checks
ARRRGGGG Spent over an hour in the hot sun doing all the checks on the relays, oil temp and oil press switch, no small job since everything is in a space smaller then my fingers and all the wires are in split tubes and snap wired tight and now it will not even start now, I did discover I had one wire on the CR2 relay wrong.
I opened the drain on the fuel bowl a few times and saw fuel dripping.
ANYWAY
As I hit the start switch I am watching the choke close as it cranked and wondered what would happen if I gave it a squirt of starter fluid, I did and DAMN it fired right off when it started to quit I gave it another squirt and kept it going
NOW I know it is a fuel problem
I will get back at it later, More as I find it
Old 04-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #9

LOL - baby steps but at least you have the information you need to work through it.

Dave
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
LOL - baby steps but at least you have the information you need to work through it.

Dave
The gas gauge reads about a needle width above 1/4 tank and it was running fine, perhaps I just reached that point in fuel that will not send gas to the genny. I'll get 5 gallons tomorrow and put it in and see what happens.

My neighbor just dragged home a Bill Dance type of fishing boat that he got for a song. Been over playing with that. We cannot figure how to get the Minn Kota trolling motor to deploy.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
The gas gauge reads about a needle width above 1/4 tank and it was running fine, perhaps I just reached that point in fuel that will not send gas to the genny. I'll get 5 gallons tomorrow and put it in and see what happens.

My neighbor just dragged home a Bill Dance type of fishing boat that he got for a song. Been over playing with that. We cannot figure how to get the Minn Kota trolling motor to deploy.
Took ther fuel line off at the carb, plenty of fuel pressure, took the carb off and I cannot get the main jet out to clean it, It is stripped, any suggestions, I blasted carb cleaner thru and did the best cleaning I could, put it all back, starts right up and runs for a slow count of 20 and quits
damn.#@*!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #12

Take carb off and soak it in sta-bil or carb cleaner overnight to break down the build up. Do not leave plastic parts on it while soaking. If you have to replace the carb, The manual (http://www.generator-parts.com/manua...c-rv/NP52G.pdf) indicates the P/N is 073112(B). Basically that carb nor the kit is still avilable (well at least at a reasonable price Generac Generator 073112B Carburetor 73112B Aftermarket | eBay ). There is however a replacement carb that will work:
Carburetor Retrofit for Generac 073112B : A.S.A.P.
or
Generac Generator 073112B Carburetor 73112B Aftermarket

Dave
Old 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Take carb off and soak it in sta-bil or carb cleaner overnight to break down the build up. Do not leave plastic parts on it while soaking. If you have to replace the carb, The manual (http://www.generator-parts.com/manua...c-rv/NP52G.pdf) indicates the P/N is 073112(B). Basically that carb nor the kit is still avilable (well at least at a reasonable price Generac Generator 073112B Carburetor 73112B Aftermarket | eBay ). There is however a replacement carb that will work:
Carburetor Retrofit for Generac 073112B : A.S.A.P.
or
Generac Generator 073112B Carburetor 73112B Aftermarket

Dave
tried as you suggested, no luck...I started it up and after about 20 seconds as it started to die I gave it a squirt of gas and it continued to run perfect but only for about 10 seconds and on and on. the carb is running it smooth, it is the supply of fuel to the carb. the fuel pump is in an almost impossible place to reach and the final inline filter appears to be screwed directly onto the side of the pump. The pump appears to put out a steady fuel when I disconnect the fuel line going nto the carb.
waddaya think I should look to do next, I do not know what the float adjustment is supposed to be, perhaps the bowl in not getting sufficient fuel there
Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #14

Could be the float level however I have not found anything that gives any detail about these carburators. You may be stuck with replacing it. You could try Smokstack to see if you can find something - Dave
Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.) - SmokStak