Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Generac Question

I have an old generac and the motor runs and the gen makes electric, the issue is the fuel pump, it only runs while the start switch is pressed, then it cuts off, the motor will run until the fuel bowl runs out of gas.
I want to run a wire from a switch on the dash to the hot side of the fuel pump.
The pump is well hidden behind the solenoid and the control panel I cannot see any wire running to it other then a ground strap
does anyone have a photo of what that pump looks like? from what I can see it is just a small square box with a fuel line on each side of it
To splice a wire in means removing a lot of stuff just togged at it

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

It may be tied into the low oil cutoff. Try unhooking or grounding the sender and see if the fuel pump keeps running.

Check the oil of course.

Next thing is to look for a overheat switch. It could be shutting down the fuel pump.

I would think the safety switch's would cut the ignition also, but stranger thing have happened.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilito View Post
I have an old generac and the motor runs and the gen makes electric, the issue is the fuel pump, it only runs while the start switch is pressed, then it cuts off, the motor will run until the fuel bowl runs out of gas.
I want to run a wire from a switch on the dash to the hot side of the fuel pump.
The pump is well hidden behind the solenoid and the control panel I cannot see any wire running to it other then a ground strap
does anyone have a photo of what that pump looks like? from what I can see it is just a small square box with a fuel line on each side of it
To splice a wire in means removing a lot of stuff just togged at it

Referring to the manual, high oil temperature and low oil pressure are monitored by the control circuit board. Assuming these are ok, the circuit board keeps the fuel pump energized after releasing the start button. It would not be wise to bypass this with your proposed wire.

Here is a general manual https://www.generator-parts.com/manu...-rv/0E7225.pdf

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 12-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

That is called an interlock.

The fuel supply is interlocked to the engine running.

Given it is not running when trying to start it is bypassed by a connection to the starter.

Do NOT bypass this as a leaky line could mean pumped fuel into a fire hazard.

DO get the model of the unit and Google it for a soft copy of the manual or post here as many may have it.

Follow the troubleshooting guide and it should identify a bad connection or sensor or maybe controller board.

If it has an oil filter then it is pressurized system so look for an oil sender that may have a loose wire next to it.

Take your time and be safe...
Old 12-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
That is called an interlock.

The fuel supply is interlocked to the engine running.

Given it is not running when trying to start it is bypassed by a connection to the starter.

Do NOT bypass this as a leaky line could mean pumped fuel into a fire hazard.

DO get the model of the unit and Google it for a soft copy of the manual or post here as many may have it.

Follow the troubleshooting guide and it should identify a bad connection or sensor or maybe controller board.

If it has an oil filter then it is pressurized system so look for an oil sender that may have a loose wire next to it.

Take your time and be safe...
There is a relay called the CR1 that energizes the fuel pump when you let go of the start switch, but it is really buried in the back of the gen control panel behind a big wire bundle.
I discovered that the start switch has a piggyback spade connecter on one of its connections, the wire that is piggy backed goes to the fuel pump. I went to disconnect the two wires and broke the piggyback connector.
No one has these in stock, I went to6 auto parts stores and even to grainger, I had to order 25 of them on ebay, I needed the very small red connector. I think I will keep five and make four bundles of 5ea and sell them on eBay for 3 bucks.
I touched the two wires to a hot wire and one goes to the starter solenoid and the other to the fuel pump, I could hear the fuel pump run then there was a noise and it no longer runs, either a fuse blew which I cannot find or a wire shorted in that bundle, I will have to cut the tie wraps and separate the wires to get at the wire to the pump. Of course, now that have the time, it has started to rain again. Curses foiled again.......
Old 12-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Piggyback wire connectors are common and handy for adding something to an existing circuit without cutting.

Most better stocked supply houses should have them.

Midterm in Fresno ca has all kinds of "magic" stuff.