Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Generator/Battery Switches

Recently I got my class A out for a short trip, I started the onan so as to run the AC in route, 100 yards up the driveway the generator died. It wouldn't even try to turn over, decided to worry about it when I reached my destination only 15 minutes away. Upon arriving I found that the 5 amp slo blow fuse on the generator was blown. I replaced it an the generator fired right back up. 15 minutes later we were asked to move to a new set up spot. On the way to the new spot, the generator again died. Again the 5 amp fuse was blown. I set up again, replaced the fuse and the generator ran like a champ for the rest of the evening.

Today I found time to investigate the problem. I started tracing the wiring from the generator and found that it ran up through the floor, all the way around the back of the coach and to the switch set above the door, from there it runs to the gen start switch on the dash. Let me point out now that I bought this home used and did not get a wiring schematic with it nor is one available.

This brings me to the next issue and really the point of this inquiry. Last year the battery switch on the dash, the one that parallels the coach and chassis batteries, quit working. This battery switch is mounted right beside the generator start switch which had also quit working. It would kill the generator but wouldn't start it. So I decided to start the trouble shooting from that point and start working back toward the generator fuse.

After a little trouble shooting I discovered two problems. First, the solenoid was bad, I replaced it. Next, the wire that supplies 12 volts to the switch shows 12 volts but will not work the solenoid, I fixed this problem by grabbing power from another point on the fuse panel and jumping it to the input of the battery switch. Now the battery switch works but the gen switch still does not start the generator.

I do not understand the wiring on the back of the battery switch. The two top wires switch 12 volts to the solenoid when the bottom of the switch is pressed, but I have no clue what the two bottom wires do. Since this is a "standard" configuration on most class A's, I'm hoping that someone may be able to enlighten me. Also, if you have any thoughts as to what may be blowing my fuses, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildthang View Post
Recently I got my class A out for a short trip, I started the onan so as to run the AC in route, 100 yards up the driveway the generator died. It wouldn't even try to turn over, decided to worry about it when I reached my destination only 15 minutes away. Upon arriving I found that the 5 amp slo blow fuse on the generator was blown. I replaced it an the generator fired right back up. 15 minutes later we were asked to move to a new set up spot. On the way to the new spot, the generator again died. Again the 5 amp fuse was blown. I set up again, replaced the fuse and the generator ran like a champ for the rest of the evening.

Today I found time to investigate the problem. I started tracing the wiring from the generator and found that it ran up through the floor, all the way around the back of the coach and to the switch set above the door, from there it runs to the gen start switch on the dash. Let me point out now that I bought this home used and did not get a wiring schematic with it nor is one available.

This brings me to the next issue and really the point of this inquiry. Last year the battery switch on the dash, the one that parallels the coach and chassis batteries, quit working. This battery switch is mounted right beside the generator start switch which had also quit working. It would kill the generator but wouldn't start it. So I decided to start the trouble shooting from that point and start working back toward the generator fuse.

After a little trouble shooting I discovered two problems. First, the solenoid was bad, I replaced it. Next, the wire that supplies 12 volts to the switch shows 12 volts but will not work the solenoid, I fixed this problem by grabbing power from another point on the fuse panel and jumping it to the input of the battery switch. Now the battery switch works but the gen switch still does not start the generator.

I do not understand the wiring on the back of the battery switch. The two top wires switch 12 volts to the solenoid when the bottom of the switch is pressed, but I have no clue what the two bottom wires do. Since this is a "standard" configuration on most class A's, I'm hoping that someone may be able to enlighten me. Also, if you have any thoughts as to what may be blowing my fuses, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure if you had any luck fixing your prob yet, I would carefully check all the grounds to & from your power source & all ground straps. You may have already considered this ?
Good Luck

Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

A cursery check, but I will go back and look closer. The fuse blowing may not have anything to do with the switch on the dash not working. If it does, the problem has to be between the panel over the door and the dash, the start button over the door works just fine.

I finally figured out the wiring in the back of the battery switch but the start switch, which gets its power from the battery switch, still doesn't work.

I'll keep looking.