Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

Generator exhaust rerouted to engine exhaust

While returning form a trip last week the exhaust pipe fell off while driving, it caught on the rear axle and unbeknownst to me it pulled loose the electrical connection to the fuel pump, causing us to set on an off ramp in the rain for several hours before a tow truck arrived. The tow truck operator was able to find and fix the fuel pump problem and had the MH running in less then 5 minutes. He suggested that I have the generator exhaust rerouted and connected to the engine exhaust. He told me his shop had made that modification to several units. Has anyone here had this modification done or know of anyone that has and if so what is you option.
miller806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I think it would depend on where your generator and engine are located. In my RV, the generator is right behind the front bumper and the engine is in the rear. I'd also wonder about the safety of routing the generator exhaust under the RV to the exhaust pipe. Since the generator is used when stationary, any exhaust leaks could accumulate and rise into the RV.

Did your generator exhaust come loose or rust off and break?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

Generator exhaust rerouted to engine exhaust

Don't know what generator you have but exhaust systems are designed to not only quiet but to also create the right amount of back pressure. Small engines are especially touchy. Not enough back pressure will cause a lost of low rpm power(where generator engines run). It can also lead to burned exhaust valves. I also would not want the exhaust from my big motorhome engine getting pushed into my little generator engine. All over my opinion is that this is a really bad idea.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #4

That's a good way to get condensation and contaminants in whichever engine is cold while the other one is running.

It's a bad idea.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some generator manufacturers warn not to use a Genturi unit on their generators. Wonder how they would react to changing the system permanently?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

For those who asked my MH is a 1996 Sothwind Storm with a Chevy 454. A previous owner had installed a Power Pack intake and exhaust system. The exhaust pipe is approximately 3" in diameter and exits the side of the unit just behind the generator. The hanger on the generator exhaust broke and the generator exhaust pipe cracked and broke off where it exited the generator muffler.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #7

I wouldn't change anything. If it hasn't been a problem for over 20 years now, why re-engineer something that works fine just to "test" a better way?
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

Not a good idea. The exhaust from the running engine will deposit moisture and contaminates in the non running engine exhaust pipe and cylinders. If the engine has stopped in the rite spot where the intake and exhaust valves are slightly opened , the exhaust gasses could find there way into the intake manifold and out the air cleaner.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

I dont understand what the advantage is suppose to be? But like others have mentioned, I do see a disadvantage of one engine pumping exhaust back into the open valves of the other.

Gary
Old 05-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not do it for safety reasons
One problem I had with this RV before mod was Generator exhaust getting into the RV. Took 2 hours to set off the CO alarm.. After I added the Gen-Turi 25 hours and no annoying beep beep beep.

NOTE that all that was needed was the small extension the Genturi added.

But piping it into the big engine exhaust woudl mean a much SLOWER exhaust "Jet" and more likely to rise into the RV. plus the ENgine exhaust is not in a good spot when I'm seleeping (right under the bed just behind the back tire or the wardrobe)

I do like the Gen-turi though .

I have read many reasons Generator makers say the Gen-Turi voids warranty. I simply do not believe they are valid at least on my RV
one is the weight of the unit.. I have an exhaust hanger bracket within 2 inches of the end of the exhaust pipe so it takes the weight.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Thanks to everyone who replied. You all confirmed my suspicions that combining both exhaust systems was no a good plan. I ordered the correct parts to repair my system back to factory standard. I am interested in the Gen-Turi, is it attached permanency or do you attache it only when you are parked.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller806 View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. You all confirmed my suspicions that combining both exhaust systems was no a good plan. I ordered the correct parts to repair my system back to factory standard. I am interested in the Gen-Turi, is it attached permanency or do you attache it only when you are parked.
The metal bracket that attaches to the exhaust can be left on, the plastic tubes of the Gen-Turi are only attached when using the generator parked.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #13

I use a GenTuri as well. Picked it up used. Love it to death. Quiets the thing as well. Suggest you try one or listen to one that a fellow RVer has hooked up.

Tags
engine, generator