Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
TRD

Generator in cabin starter

In a previous post, I mentioned I got the onan running. I failed to ask for help on the in cabin generator starting. It a 1989 Sun Clipper by Gulf Stream, 32ft, P-30 chassic and a 454 ci. Gen is a onan 4Kw.

Gen cranks fine using the switch on the generator. However, it does nothing attempting to crank it in the cabin. Is there a seperate solenoid? Or where do I start trouble shooting?

Thanks,

Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
In a previous post, I mentioned I got the onan running. I failed to ask for help on the in cabin generator starting. It a 1989 Sun Clipper by Gulf Stream, 32ft, P-30 chassic and a 454 ci. Gen is a onan 4Kw.

Gen cranks fine using the switch on the generator. However, it does nothing attempting to crank it in the cabin. Is there a seperate solenoid? Or where do I start trouble shooting?

Thanks,

Terry
I have the same issue on my 91 Silver Eagle, I cannot start the genset from inside but I can shut it off from there, perhaps the switch is bad.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
To start, make sure the remote is plugged in. It plugs into the generator at the right side of the panel where the start switch is. If it is plugged in, Unplug the plug and check the connections.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Check all plug connections by unplugging and replugging them in. If that doesn't work, the most likely cause is a bad circuit board on the genset control box. I had this issue on the Onan genset on an '89 Ultra Star that I had and once I replaced the circuit board (a relatively easy job to do), everything worked as it should. I got the new control board from A.S.A.P. (Advanced Service & Parts) for about half of what I could get it somewhere else. Here is the link to their website: A.S.A.P.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

Check your chassis battery. It's possible the chassis battery doesn't have enough power to start the gen from inside.

One way to test is to hold down your Aux Start switch (should be on dash) while pressing the gen start button. If the gen starts that way then you can begin your trouble-shooting at the chassis battery.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Your switch is bad. I had the same problem with mine last summer. Could turn it off inside but not start it. Went to Napa autoparts with the old switch and had a replacement of under $15. Works great
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
TRD

Thanks for the info. I have replace the control panel. My in cabin switch will not start or shut down the gen. I will replace the switch (easiest things first) and see what happens.

Terry
Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

I have the same problem. I have a remote starter on the instrument panel and one in the rear bedroom. When the generator is running both light up and I can use either one to shut it down. But sometimes I can use either to start it with but just as often it doesn't do anything. I don't think it is the switch but then I don't know what else it could be. I'm going to check out the connection by the generator as was suggested.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just a idea. Check to see if the wire going to the generator to the inside switch is not chewed up by mice. I had that happen here in Arizona. They love to chew the insulation off the wiring. They even chew the metal out of the wiring. I got lucky, the bad area was right above the back gas tank! After i did that everything worked. Cheap trick to try before buying switches and boards and all that kind of junk. Let us know, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator